Can you vape your tank completely empty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synnuh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2012
Orange Park, FL
I'm fairly new to tanks, got a Mini Sub to put on my Lavatube after I received it. I am wondering if you guys can vape your tanks down to the last drop? Right now, if my tank's juice level drops below the fill screw hole, it burns the carto up within 2-3 pulls. Because of this I have to keep the tank filled, and refill it once it gets down to 2/3rd full.

Then, while I am vaping the top 1/3rd of the tank I have to pull the fill screw every 10 pulls to let air into the tank, or, again, it burns the carto up. When I pull the fill screw I can see large air bubbles coming up through the holes (2-hole and 3-hole punched), but when I'm vaping or doing dry pulls I can only get very small, and very few bubbles to come up.

Since I've had the tank I've gone through 4 cartos, and feel like my 5th one is getting ready to give up again. I use a saddle valve and punch fairly large (biggest I can get them) holes into the carto. I started out with 3 holes, then went down to 2, and the carto I've got in now has 3 again.

I'm just wondering if you guys have to vent your tanks after 10 pulls, or if you can actually vape your tank below 2/3rd full? Is it a flaw in my operation? Flaw in the design of the tank? Typical with tanks? Any help is greatly appreciated. I want to get these figured out!:blush:

Edited to add: I'm using 50/50 juice, and don't have a problem getting the juice to wick once the fill screw is pulled. While the fill screw is in and the tank is completely sealed, it just doesn't seem to want to wick.

Last edited:

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
It sounds like your tank isn't feeding the carto very well. I wonder why? What percentage PG/VG are you using. What cartos?

I can usually vape mine right down to where the liquid is just covering the punched hole. Sometimes if I have a carto tht isn't feeding well I blow gently on the mouthpiece and I can see bubbles coming out of the punched hole. Blowing in it must do something to the pressure, allowing the liquid to feed in.

I use boge SR cartos (regular size) with one hole punched (saddle valve). My liquid is 70/30 Pg/VG, with 1% vodka to make it just a bit thinner. This works very well for me and I almost never get feeding problems. Tanks can be fiddly. I had to experiment with quite a few different 'variables' until I hit on the combination that worked well.

GWG73

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2012
Florida
It definitely sounds like there's some sort of flow issue there. I actually filled a tank (standard Smoktech w/ metal caps) last night to full capacity (after priming the carto), and this morning I wasn't getting any flow. I tried to dry pull quite a bit, and while I was getting bubbles out, the flow just wouldn't start on it's own. I decided to slightly wiggle the tank partially off the cap a little, which creates a vacuum pulling juice into the carto, and this got the flow going...it's working fine. I don't know what caused the issue, perhaps something to do with filling the tank to capacity (I mean, there was no air gap left in there), but this was the first time I'd had something like this happen.

Thanks for the reply. I'd figured that I would be able to use the tank for a less amount of hassle, and vape it from top to bottom before I had to refill it. I'm filling it less often than I would fill a carto alone, but the difference isn't much.

That's exactly how I vape tanks. I'm funny in that I prefer to almost completely empty a tank before I refill. I punch my cartos really low so that the holes are actually below the cap line (still plenty of carto before the o-ring seal). You can't tell by the picture, but the punch creates a divot so the juice actually still has full access to the entire hole. I also punch two holes, so there's an identical one on the other side in the same position. This lets me completely empty out a tank before refilling if I want to.

cartopunch.jpg

Synnuh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2012
Orange Park, FL
It sounds like your tank isn't feeding the carto very well. I wonder why? What percentage PG/VG are you using. What cartos?

I can usually vape mine right down to where the liquid is just covering the punched hole. Sometimes if I have a carto tht isn't feeding well I blow gently on the mouthpiece and I can see bubbles coming out of the punched hole. Blowing in it must do something to the pressure, allowing the liquid to feed in.

I use boge SR cartos (regular size) with one hole punched (saddle valve). My liquid is 70/30 Pg/VG, with 1% vodka to make it just a bit thinner. This works very well for me and I almost never get feeding problems. Tanks can be fiddly. I had to experiment with quite a few different 'variables' until I hit on the combination that worked well.

I use 50/50 mix, Dekang RY4. It's not as thick as some of my 50/50 Virgin Vapor juices, but it's not thin as water, like some of the PG juices I've used in the past. I'm using Boge 2.0s in the tanks, with 2 and 3 large holes. The holes are as big as the holes in the carto that GWG73 posted in his picture.

I get very small bubbles when I'm normally vaping, and only get large bubbles when I start pulling out the fill screw. It takes a good dry pull with the fill screw out, then the carto will flood. I can give it 15 hard dry pulls with the fill screw in and it won't flood at all, but bubbles will come up from the side of the tank. Also, something else I Just noticed is that the level of the juice doesn't drop until I pull the fill screw.

It just burned up another carto, too. That's what made me come back to check the thread again. I'd say I've gotten 4mls through it with all the refilling, before it burned up this one. I'm gonna empty the juice and I'll get a picture of the carto and holes to post. I've used this sized hole in 2-hole and 3-hole configs, and both seemed to last the same amount of time.

100_1231.jpg 100_1232.jpg

After I eat breakfast I'm going to punch another carto to put back in it and try again. Instead of pulling the fill screw I'll try blowing into the mouthpiece to see if I can get the juice to flow back in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread