Canadian Federal Flavor Ban Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Dec 4, 2013
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    The Canadian federal government published guidance for the federal flavor ban in their latest Canada Gazette Part I (https://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2021/2021-06-19/html/reg2-eng.html)

The federal government is proposing a prohibition on all flavors other than tobacco, Mint and Menthol.

They define "flavor" as anything that has a sensory attribute in inducing youth to vape - this means that if it smells like strawberries, it's banned. If it smells like cream, it's banned. If it smells like anything other than tobacco, mint or menthol, it is prohibited for sale in all of Canada.

There is still time to act.

Calgary MP Tom Kmiec has introduced a petition - If you are Canadian, please sign it!

You can find the petition at https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-3362

After you fill in your information, they will send you an email with a confirmation link, you MUST press it for your entry to be entered.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    They define "flavor" as anything that has a sensory attribute in inducing youth to vape - this means that if it smells like strawberries, it's banned. If it smells like cream, it's banned. If it smells like anything other than tobacco, mint or menthol, it is prohibited for sale in all of Canada.

What about peach wine cooler flavor?

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana

I wonder how they plan to decide what something smells like. It's not like an alcohol ban where you could test for the presence of a single chemical compound.

This problem was discussed at length here back when flavor bans started to come up in the US. From what I heard it ended up coming down to what the juice was called. You can't use the word peach in the name or description of your product. As far as I know they don't have specially trained government agents sniffing for traces of vanilla. They rely on the vendors following the rules, and who cares if someone slips a little cream in their Texas Tobacco line and goes light on the tobacco.

These laws are just done for show anyway, so politicians can score points with the Mom voters and other puritans.

Gallant

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Dec 4, 2013
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Seems like the wave is coming, they 1st ban nic base higher than 70 mg/ml then they ban e liquid with higher than 20 mg/ml now flavors.

It's time for some Canadians to start learning to DIY.
    Been making my own juice for over 6 years as long as the ban does not hit DYI supplies should not be an issue however not every 1 knows how to DYI

• Agree
    Reactions: iowajosh

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Seems like the wave is coming, they 1st ban nic base higher than 70 mg/ml then they ban e liquid with higher than 20 mg/ml now flavors.

Been making my own juice for over 6 years as long as the ban does not hit DYI supplies should not be an issue however not every 1 knows how to DYI

You should be better off than we are here in the States. Flavors and PG and VG will always be easy to come by as they are used for other purposes. Thanks to our government, nicotine cannot be purchased online. Right now there is a grace period while they get their act together, but that can end end any day.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread