Canadian Government now has an official stance on Vaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
Thought i'd share this motivational news with my brothers and sisters of the constitutional republic.

Vaping - Canada.ca

vaping is less harmful than smoking. Many of the toxic and cancer-causing chemicals in tobacco and the tobacco smoke form when tobacco is burned.

Vaping products do not contain tobacco and do not involve burning or produce smoke. Except for nicotine, vaping products typically only contain a fraction of the 7,000 chemicals found in tobacco or tobacco smoke, and at lower levels.

Switching from tobacco cigarettes to vaping products will reduce a person's exposure to many toxic and cancer-causing chemicals.

Nicotine is not known to cause cancer. It is approved for use in nicotine replacement therapies, such as the patch or nicotine gum. However, there are risks linked to nicotine.

Bystanders can also be exposed to vapour that is exhaled by users. The health effects to non-users from exposure to second-hand vapour are still unknown. However, given the low levels of chemicals in vapour compared to tobacco smoke, risks are also expected to be much lower.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
Yeah, we know the truth down here in the states also. I guess Canada does not have to face a loss of revenue somewhere?

I think it has more to do with the fact that we make sure that big companies can't fully fund a politician's election campaign. That donations are documented and capped, with strict rules about what kind of gifts they can and cannot accept.

In other words, our guys are not getting dozens of thousands/hundreds of thousands from Big Tobacco in campaign donations.

I think this is also why they're pro-net neutrality right now too: Strengthening net neutrality in Canada | CRTC

Also helps that our healthcare system is not for-profit.

Last edited:

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
This is even better than the UK version with the limits on bottle size and tank size and nicotine levels and so forth.

It mentioned that Provinces also have a role in regulation. What's happening on that front?

I seem to recall Canadians talking about difficulties obtaining nicotine, or was that just importing it?

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
This is even better than the UK version with the limits on bottle size and tank size and nicotine levels and so forth.

It mentioned that Provinces also have a role in regulation. What's happening on that front?

I seem to recall Canadians talking about difficulties obtaining nicotine, or was that just importing it?

We can now import a 90 day personal supply worth of nicotine laden eliquid, as long as it doesn't advertise or state that it has health benefits. This essentially means we can import juices from the US.

I believe the max allowable concentration for import is 60mg/100ml, but I may be incorrect; someone else will have to chime in. But even with that, we can still get high concentration nicotine bases locally.

In my province there are two restrictions coming in that are significant:

1) No promotion of eliquids (i.e. you can sell strawberry eliquid, you just can't call it 'red skittles') -- i'm actually fine with this. I think it's reasonable.

2) Vaping is no longer allowed indoors in vaping shops, meaning people can't sample. This one is contentious and I can see it changing.

Post and border services (Canada Post and CBSA) are federal -- provinces won't have any say in the importing of US eliquids. Or at least no way to control it.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
We can now import a 90 day personal supply worth of nicotine laden eliquid, as long as it doesn't advertise or state that it has health benefits. This essentially means we can import juices from the US.

I believe the max allowable concentration for import is 60mg/100ml, but I may be incorrect; someone else will have to chime in. But even with that, we can still get high concentration nicotine bases locally.

1) No promotion of eliquids (i.e. you can sell strawberry eliquid, you just can't call it 'red skittles') -- i'm actually fine with this. I think it's reasonable.

2) Vaping is no longer allowed indoors in vaping shops, meaning people can't sample. This one is contentious and I can see it changing.

Post and border services (Canada Post and CBSA) are federal -- provinces won't have any say in the importing of US eliquids. Or at least no way to control it.

Is vaping allowed indoors anywhere other than vape shops, like in bars?

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
Is vaping allowed indoors anywhere other than vape shops, like in bars?

So i'm not an authority on this, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But this is my experience:

- When vaping popped up, people vaped indoor everywhere.
- Vaping was banned indoor in public spaces
- Private business owners then banned vaping indoors in their places of business (although not technically illegal, and on an individual case by case basis)
- This law passed making vaping indoors as illegal as smoking indoors, even though no one is really vaping indoors except for vape shops. Private homes are, of course, a completely separate thing.

I think originally smoking indoors was a municipal thing, as different cities started banning it at different times. And on Indian reserves here, some of them still permit smoking indoors. This federal law should apply to every municipality, I'm guessing.

All I can say for certain is that in my little area of the colony, the vaping culture understands that it's best to vape wherever smoking is allowed, and not to vape where smoking is prohibited. My understanding of these things is a bit fuzzy because it's been a long time people don't vape in restaurants, movie theatres, stores, and malls. We vape with the smokers just outside.

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
As I said in another thread:

That is the difference between the UK Canada and the US. More specifically the difference between the government saving money if you don't smoke and are thus healthier, vs the government losing money from tax revenue if you stop smoking.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
As I said in another thread:

That is the difference between the Canada and the US. More specifically the difference between the government saving money if you don't smoke and are thus healthier, vs the government losing money from tax revenue if you stop smoking.

That and the fact our politicians aren't allowed to receive hundreds of thousands in Big Tobacco money.

Tobacco companies tighten hold on Washington under Trump

In the first quarter of 2017, tobacco companies and trade associations spent $4.7m lobbying federal officials.

Here in Canada they're allowed something like just over $1,500 per donation and only from private individuals, and are allocated more funds from a federal fund that distributes campaign money to all the different parties.

Our politicians don't legislate based on who pays them, they legislate based on who will keep them in office.

Last edited:

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA

Essentially correct. 65mg is the limit now for manufactured eliquids and nicotine bases for DIY. I already have an 18 year supply of 100mg in my freezer so this won't affect me for a while. I'm just happy we still have access to nic. :thumb:

The indoor vaping rules have not come into effect in Ontario yet but will soon. We're still fighting it:

Pledge To Vote Vape Friendly Candidates in Ontario 2018 #vapingisntsmoking #onpoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread