Canadian Government now has an official stance on Vaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Congrats to Canada, leading the way with a sane, healthy policy. Good job y'all, and a lot of what I'm hearing really helps me to understand what makes the US more like Thailand than say, Canada. Sigh. We are the biggest (stealth) corrupt government under the sun, I sometimes think. Etc.

Hopefully a little sanity will trickle DOWN from above, into the US. LOL.

Anna

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
We can now import a 90 day personal supply worth of nicotine laden eliquid, as long as it doesn't advertise or state that it has health benefits. This essentially means we can import juices from the US.

I believe the max allowable concentration for import is 60mg/100ml, but I may be incorrect; someone else will have to chime in. But even with that, we can still get high concentration nicotine bases locally.

In my province there are two restrictions coming in that are significant:

1) No promotion of eliquids (i.e. you can sell strawberry eliquid, you just can't call it 'red skittles') -- i'm actually fine with this. I think it's reasonable.

2) vaping is no longer allowed indoors in vaping shops, meaning people can't sample. This one is contentious and I can see it changing.

Post and border services (Canada Post and CBSA) are federal -- provinces won't have any say in the importing of US eliquids. Or at least no way to control it.

I was under the impression that Bill S-5 that just passed will make all confectionary flavors not allowed to be sold, like strawberry, in the near future.

30.‍46 (1) No person shall display on a vaping product or on its package an indication or illustration, including a brand element, that could cause a person to believe that the product is flavoured if there are reasonable grounds to believe that the indication or illustration could be appealing to young persons.

I hate this bill. Im canadian too :(

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA
I was under the impression that Bill S-5 that just passed will make all confectionary flavors not allowed to be sold, like strawberry, in the near future.

30.‍46 (1) No person shall display on a vaping product or on its package an indication or illustration, including a brand element, that could cause a person to believe that the product is flavoured if there are reasonable grounds to believe that the indication or illustration could be appealing to young persons.

No flavors of any kind are banned. It's the promotion and advertising of flavors that may appeal to children that are banned.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX

Re-read it, paying attention to the bold parts. This is about displays and packaging, not about sales. They can't sell a "Cotton Candy" flavor with pictures of cartoon characters eating a big fluffy wad of actual cotton candy, BUT they can sell the same flavor in plain packaging and call it "Whipped Sugar".

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Most importantly of all, they have a Queen.
O'yes! And UK is our brother-in-arms as well, currently the most vape friendly nation in the world. If they have their way ~ we'd soon be seeing vape ads in regular cigarette packets :p

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
Re-read it, paying attention to the bold parts. This is about displays and packaging, not about sales. They can't sell a "Cotton Candy" flavor with pictures of cartoon characters eating a big fluffy wad of actual cotton candy, BUT they can sell the same flavor in plain packaging and call it "Whipped Sugar".
That sounds so much better! But wouldnt whipped sugar be appealing to kids according to the goverment?

Ionori

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2017
    Plain packaging is fine, but mandatory euphemisms are a really bad idea, as euphemisms inevitably stop being euphemisms and need to be replaced with new ones, eventually resulting in absurd language; not to mention the resources wasted on litigating the effectiveness of euphemisms over time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread