Canadian Government now has an official stance on Vaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Thought i'd share this motivational news with my brothers and sisters of the constitutional republic.

Vaping - Canada.ca

Great news and an interesting read.

giphy.gif

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2012
Canada
No flavors of any kind are banned. It's the promotion and advertising of flavors that may appeal to children that are banned.

Not yet.

The same Bill empowers Health Canada to make a unilateral decision on flavours whenever they feel like it.

Just because there isnt a ban now doesnt mean there wont be. At the same time, theres nothing to stop provinces from banning flavours. Ontario banned all flavoured tobacco, including menthol.

Worst thing anyone can do is put their guards down on this or assume all is good because they read it on the internet.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
That is the difference between the UK Canada and the US. More specifically the difference between the government saving money if you don't smoke and are thus healthier, vs the government losing money from tax revenue if you stop smoking.
Not really losing money, the money would have otherwise been spent on healthcare here, kind of a moot point.

The treatments for various cancers/diseases caused by smoking cost our system pretty much the same as what they will lose in tax money, not about a cash grab here.

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA
Not yet.

The same Bill empowers Health Canada to make a unilateral decision on flavours whenever they feel like it.

Just because there isnt a ban now doesnt mean there wont be. At the same time, theres nothing to stop provinces from banning flavours. Ontario banned all flavoured tobacco, including menthol.

Worst thing anyone can do is put their guards down on this or assume all is good because they read it on the internet.

The way I see it is this:

The Government of Canada has openly stated that they understand that flavors for vaping are an integral part of making a smoking cessation program for established tobacco users successful.

It's going to be pretty difficult for the provinces to come along at some point in the future and say they are going to ban flavors once that's been put out there by the feds.

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2012
Canada
The way I see it is this:

The Government of Canada has openly stated that they understand that flavors for vaping are an integral part of making a smoking cessation program for established tobacco users successful.

It's going to be pretty difficult for the provinces to come along at some point in the future and say they are going to ban flavors once that's been put out there by the feds.

Provinces have their own rules on tobacco, alcohol etc. Ontario brought in vaping legislation well ahead of the Feds. Why would you think vaping is some sacred cow that wont or cant be touched?

Black Stone Steve

Oct 27, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Essentially correct. 65mg is the limit now for manufactured eliquids and nicotine bases for DIY. I already have an 18 year supply of 100mg in my freezer so this won't affect me for a while. I'm just happy we still have access to nic. :thumb:

The indoor vaping rules have not come into effect in Ontario yet but will soon. We're still fighting it:

Pledge To Vote Vape Friendly Candidates in Ontario 2018 #vapingisntsmoking #onpoli

Did you get any response from the candidates in your riding when you sent this to them? My Green Party candidate was the only one to respond to me and I also got follow up emails from higher up in the Greens. I was surprised that I didn't even get a "thanks for your email" from the other parties.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It's true that tobacco companies in the U.S. are hanging on by fingers and toes in America. They still reap large profits in countries that haven't fought smoking, though. So many people have quit smoking here that they aren't enjoying huge profits in the U.S. anymore. The profits come from increased prices and that will eventually cause their demise as some smokers decide that it's cheaper to quit and others turn to vaping.

Fewer People Are Buying Cigarettes, But Tobacco Companies Are Raking In Profits
One key reason for the steady profit growth is cigarettes continue to increase in price, even though taxes on each pack has stayed pretty steady at just over 40 percent of the total product cost.

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA
Did you get any response from the candidates in your riding when you sent this to them? My Green Party candidate was the only one to respond to me and I also got follow up emails from higher up in the Greens. I was surprised that I didn't even get a "thanks for your email" from the other parties.

I got ZERO replies. But then I expected as much.

I have a Green party candidate in my area. Haven't heard a word from anyone.

Reactions: stols001

Suomynona

May 10, 2018
Not smoking in vape shops is normal here as well. There is always the possibility that a non-vaper walks in with a vaper and the non-vaper shouldn't be exposed to 2nd hand vapor (even though it's pretty much harmless).
They solve it here by having separate rooms where people can try equipment and juices without the vapor coming in the shop itself. There are usually backdoors for laws like that. It just takes a while for shops to discover them ;)

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Not smoking in vape shops is normal here as well. There is always the possibility that a non-vaper walks in with a vaper and the non-vaper shouldn't be exposed to 2nd hand vapor (even though it's pretty much harmless).
They solve it here by having separate rooms where people can try equipment and juices without the vapor coming in the shop itself. There are usually backdoors for laws like that. It just takes a while for shops to discover them ;)

If it were my vape shop, I would have a sign on the door, "Vaper's Only". That would solve that problem. If you don't want to breathe vapor don't come in my vape shop.

To paraphrase Eddie Murphy: "It's my shop, and if you don't like it, get the :censored: out."

KatlandKat

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2012
Vancouver Island BC Canada
I did try and talk to the Green Party but got very little back. Will work on that again now that Federal and Health Canada have made things clearer. I am more interested in the Green Party for provincial not federal as I hope in the next Provincial election the Green Party gets more seats and power so I really would like to know what they are thinking about vaping. Work in progress here

Black Stone Steve

Oct 27, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I did try and talk to the Green Party but got very little back. Will work on that again now that Federal and Health Canada have made things clearer. I am more interested in the Green Party for provincial not federal as I hope in the next Provincial election the Green Party gets more seats and power so I really would like to know what they are thinking about vaping. Work in progress here
My local green party candidate had the most encouraging reply, it let me believe she understands what the vaping community has been talking about and advocating. She used the terms healthier and safer alternatives!!!! The responses from the party itself were more "thanks for your email" with little substance. And I agree, we need to see some green sitting in our legislative houses, it is a voice that needs to be heard.

Dacholiday Dach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Perhaps it is because the canadian gov is more progressive, I did not say liberal. They know and realize that vaping is a way to cut out smoking among their citizens, and know that's a good thing. The same way they realize that having universal health care for their citizens is a good thing as well.
Right now I see some people praising big tobacco for fighting against what happened in SF, but really were everyone to suddenly just decide to vape, and not smoke they would be the first to "buy" their very on politicians here in the US. And that too is another reason Canada has things we don't and likely will not in my lifetime. They do not allow companies to buy their very own politician. They actually pass laws in Canada that try to actually better the person, not the companies, who could care not one whit about the well being of the people but of their wallet.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Our government is practically controlled by lobbyists from just about every large company in America. They've gone from wondering if the cost of a lobbyist in Congress was worth paying for to the point now where a lobbyist office in Washington is considered to be a profit center.

How Corporate Lobbyists Conquered American Democracy

Something is out of balance in Washington. Corporations now spend about $2.6 billion a year on reported lobbying expenditures—more than the $2 billion we spend to fund the House ($1.18 billion) and Senate ($860 million). It’s a gap that has been widening since corporate lobbying began to regularly exceed the combined House-Senate budget in the early 2000s.

... But sometime around 2000, industry lobbyists dreamed up the bold idea of proposing and supporting what became Medicare Part D—a prescription drug benefit, but one which explicitly forbade bulk purchasing—an estimated $205 billion benefit to companies over a 10-year period.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread