Canadian Government now has an official stance on Vaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
Ontario has banned flavors from ecigs like menthol. Canada is not a role model when it comes to the vaping industry. They can ban flavors at will once this bill is official.

30.‍46 (1) No person shall display on a vaping product or on its package an indication or illustration, including a brand element, that could cause a person to believe that the product is flavoured if there are reasonable grounds to believe that the indication or illustration could be appealing to young persons.

Please sign the petition to stop bill S-5 !

Sign the Petition

• Informative
Reactions: stols001

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Ontario has banned flavors from ecigs like menthol. Canada is not a role model when it comes to the vaping industry. They can ban flavors at will once this bill is official.

30.‍46 (1) No person shall display on a vaping product or on its package an indication or illustration, including a brand element, that could cause a person to believe that the product is flavoured if there are reasonable grounds to believe that the indication or illustration could be appealing to young persons.

Sign the Petition

Sigh. This was already explained to you at least once, if not twice. So I will refrain from doing so again.

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA

Sign the Petition

You're a bit late. Bill S-5 has already received Royal Assent.

And Ontario has not banned any ecig flavors - menthol was banned in cigarettes a couple of years ago.

No worries @ScottP , I've got your back ;)

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
Sigh. This was already explained to you at least once, if not twice. So I will refrain from doing so again.

I know. It's just they could easily say flavors are luring children at any time.

Not yet.

The same Bill empowers Health Canada to make a unilateral decision on flavours whenever they feel like it.

Just because there isnt a ban now doesnt mean there wont be. At the same time, theres nothing to stop provinces from banning flavours. Ontario banned all flavoured tobacco, including menthol.

Worst thing anyone can do is put their guards down on this or assume all is good because they read it on the internet.

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
You're a bit late. Bill S-5 has already received Royal Assent.

And Ontario has not banned any ecig flavors - menthol was banned in cigarettes a couple of years ago.

No worries @ScottP , I've got your back ;)

Maybe I am late , better late then never .. :(

I had no idea this bill was being proposed tbh as I had quit vaping and recently picked it up =(

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I know. It's just they could easily say flavors are luring children at any time.

Again, WHERE in the bill do they say flavors that are appealing to children cannot be SOLD? No where. This strictly says what can be displayed on products and packaging. Now if it said no one can SELL products whose packaging or labeling could be considered appealing to children, then you might have a stronger point.

I do agree the language isn't as plain as it could be. Quite frankly the wording almost sounds like something from a Monty Python skit. I just don't see it as this sinister plot to ban the sales of anything. Especially with the other Canadian acknowledgements that vaping is less harmful and should be embraced as a less harmful alternative to smoking.

If a law with the exact same wording were to pass in NY then I wouldn't be as sure of the intent. It was NYC that tried to ban large soda drinks for ADULTS. So you can never tell how far they are trying to overreach.

Same goes for CA. I think it was SF that wanted to ban Happy Meals of all things. Like what kind of Grinch does it take to take away Happy Meals? At the same time the same city was wanting to use tax payer money to give away free (ILLICIT SUBSTANCE) pipes and hypodermic needles to users of the substances that required them. That is some seriously messed up thinking to ban Happy Meals for kids and give the "toys" to junkies on the tax payer's dime.

Last edited:

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2012
Canada
Again, WHERE in the bill do they say flavors that are appealing to children cannot be SOLD? No where. This strictly says what can be displayed on products and packaging. Now if it said no one can SELL products whose packaging or labeling could be considered appealing to children, then you might have a stronger point.

I do agree the language isn't as plain as it could be. Quite frankly the wording almost sounds like something from a Monty Python skit. I just don't see it as this sinister plot to ban the sales of anything. Especially with the other Canadian acknowledgements that vaping is less harmful and should be embraced as a less harmful alternative to smoking.

If a law with the exact same wording were to pass in NY then I wouldn't be as sure of the intent. It was NYC that tried to ban large soda drinks for ADULTS. So you can never tell how far they are trying to overreach.

Same goes for CA. I think it was SF that wanted to ban Happy Meals of all things. Like what kind of Grinch does it take to take away Happy Meals? At the same time the same city was wanting to use tax payer money to give away free (ILLICIT SUBSTANCE) pipes and hypodermic needles to users of the substances that required them. That is some seriously messed up thinking to ban Happy Meals for kids and give the "toys" to junkies on the tax payer's dime.

That would be in the Provicial legislation.

That said, this legislation empowers Health Csnada to make unilateral decisions on vaping without defined regulations.

• Optimistic

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
That would be in the Provicial legislation.

That said, this legislation empowers Health Csnada to make unilateral decisions on vaping without defined regulations.

Did you read the first post of this thread? Again the Canadian government has actually come out in support of vaping. I have yet to see anything to make me think they are planning on banning flavors, much less already doing it with this law.

• Agree

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2012
Canada
Did you read the first post of this thread? Again the Canadian government has actually come out in support of vaping. I have yet to see anything to make me think they are planning on banning flavors, much less already doing it with this law.

Lets screen shot this and revisit in a year.

The government has passed legislation on vaping which includes current and future limitations. Who puts limits on something they are supporting?

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
The best part of DIY is I don't have to worry about Flavor Bans... 150$ Flavor order coming in soon :D
Ended up hitting up a Fathers day sale and got 20% off :D, Canada Day is coming up soon so one more order and I'll be good for about 2 years flavor wise for about 3-4 people as I mix for others...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
IMO the government is setting up to tax vaping to become just as expensive as smoking. My only issue with flavor bans are the tobacco flavors with no place in Canada other than some smoke shops to buy leaf to make your own. The couple broken cigars I used for my first extraction was not very cost efficient but learnt enough of what not too do for my 2nd go at it.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
IMO the government is setting up to tax vaping to become just as expensive as smoking.
From what I understand is they don't really want to tax it so people will make the switch but with government changes who knows what the hell is going to happen..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread