Sacramento, CA
Lately I haven't been tasting my flavors
Here's my setup:
1/16" Drill bit wrapped 28ga coil ~ 1.2 ohm
RM2
Reo Grand
Hole lined up perfectly
New cotton wick

I've tried everything, less voltage, more voltage (tested using my Provari)
New wick, tight wick, loose wick, different juices (dark and light, vendors etc.)

So I know what you're thinking. Vapor tongue. I drink water like a fiend and I CAN still taste out of my cartotanks on my Provari. My taste buds aren't COMPLETELY shot.

Can't for the life of me figure it out :(

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
Same exact build has taste on Provari but when moved over to REO taste gone, back on Provari taste back? Boy, I wish I could help you here. Sorry. Hope you find a resolution.

BTW... my ability to taste changes many times during a day but doesn't remain affected for long unless it's caused by medications and/or drinking water and/or foods/beverages I'm consuming.

I've been on some medications, over the years that play havoc with how things taste. On one antisiezure med I couldn't stand our reasonably good tasting tap water or even ice cubes made with it and had to stop eating garlic, one of my food loves, all together.

Feisty Alice

Last edited:

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
Oh, and I purchased some organic cotton balls from CVS (they didn't have the organic cotton roll in the pharmacy section). They were in the cosmetics section. On some builds, with pretty benign juices, I was tasting a hint of perfume. On closer inspection of bag it had a hole in bag and apparently letting in some fragrances from surrounding products. Checking all bags from now on.

Some people have reported getting some taste tainting from not having hands really clean when rolling cotton wick. I experienced that myself. I use mostly nonscented soaps and "antiseptic" gels but not always. So I try to have freshly washed hands, with no-scent soaps when coiling. With my juices it only takes a hint of left over products or skin oil to change the taste.

Feisty Alice

Bob57

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2012
Indiana
Whats is the resistance of your cartos and at what voltage you running them on the Pro-v?

I'm not saying you haven't got the air hole lined up correctly but I do see some people confused about positioning of the RM on the REO and the air flow over the coil.
It doesn't really matter where the air hole winds up when you screw the RM on the REO as long as it's not pointing down when you take a hit.
The 0ring in the juice cup under the RM2 will help with that adjustment.
The main thing for flavor and vapor is that the air hole being directly lined up center with the coil.

I know crappy picture :blush: the arrow isn't perfectly centered on the coil but thats where the air hole should be,,

If you have your air hole pointed center of the coil I'm not sure why your having problems?
I know my taste comes and gos, when I vape non flavored for a while the other flavors really pop when I go back to em.
Everyones taste is different, to me a carto doesn't taste near as good as the RM2?

:)

Cahdek

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Sacramento, CA
I should clarify. Same build on Provari = still no flavor. I got flavor from CARTOTANKS on my provari. It has to be something with my build. Full battery and everything. I'm actually starting to blame the higher VG contents I've been ordering lately (40-50%) but then again, the 33% MEL liquid I have doesn't taste like much either. Blue Voodoo is supposed to be the bees knees but all I get is throat hit.

New coil, new wick, new juices, new battery. Maybe I need to take a break from the Reo? NNNNOOOOO!!! Can't be. I'm sure I'm doing something, just haven't figured it out.

Cahdek

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Whats is the resistance of your cartos and at what voltage you running them on the Pro-v?

I'm not saying you haven't got the air hole lined up correctly but I do see some people confused about positioning of the RM on the REO and the air flow over the coil.
It doesn't really matter where the air hole winds up when you screw the RM on the REO as long as it's not pointing down when you take a hit.
The 0ring in the juice cup under the RM2 will help with that adjustment.
The main thing for flavor and vapor is that the air hole being directly lined up center with the coil.

I know crappy picture :blush: the arrow isn't perfectly centered on the coil but thats where the air hole should be,,

If you have your air hole pointed center of the coil I'm not sure why your having problems?
I know my taste comes and gos, when I vape non flavored for a while the other flavors really pop when I go back to em.
Everyones taste is different, to me a carto doesn't taste near as good as the RM2?

:)

Mine would be just a shade to the right (closer to squonk hole) than your picture.

And they definately don't taste AS good on the cartotank, just that I can actually taste it is all.

Cahdek

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Maybe this will help. The wick is BLACK from the Ultimate Vanilla I'm (trying) to vape. I do get CLOUDS
2013-08-01 18.28.39.jpg
2013-08-01 18.28.19.jpg

Attachments

• 2013-07-23 22.05.50.jpg
    2013-07-23 22.05.50.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 29
  • 2013-07-23 22.05.41.jpg
    2013-07-23 22.05.41.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Bob57

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2012
Indiana
Mine would be just a shade to the right (closer to squonk hole) than your picture.

And they definately don't taste AS good on the cartotank, just that I can actually taste it is all.

Ok, I have an RM that the air isn't perfectly centered with the top cap tightened.
With the bit you wrapped the coil on still in the coil move the coil a little to the right, then screw the cap back on and check it,
You may have to try it a few times untill you see that the air hole is centered with the coil.
A friend makes fun of me for trying to get the coil perfectly squared and centered with the air hole because i'll sometimes check and adjust it 4-5 times.
But hey I think it's worth it, or maybe a little OCD? :blink:

Bob57

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2012
Indiana
In the 2nd picture the coil looks like it could be a little farther out, closer to the outside and closed to the air hole?
The last picture looks pretty good,, but,, LOL for me,,,,,I would want it more squared up with the air hole a little farther out and a little less cotton tails. I don't leave much cotton on the left side or over the juice hole but thats just how i do it, doesn't mean the only way.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
The build looks great. Since all I vape is unflavored (and it tastes spectacular) I prolly can't help much with flavor other than to repeat what others have said - cotton and sweet juices don't always play well together. That and like these guys ^^ suggest, slope the coil so it's higher on the squonk hole side and lower on the other side - like this:
9edezate.jpg

See if that helps :)

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
Higher than you are used to either VG or PG, just by a little, can significally change some flavors.

I agree that position of coil to air hole can be significant. Also looks like a bit more cotton than I would use, too. I vape 50/50 almost everything.

Since I've started using RM2s with micro coil and cotton my 50/50 double shot FSUSA Butterscotch Almond 18 mg we've been vaping for almost 3 years (but we did reduce from 24 mg to 18 mg early 2013) has too much TH, sometimes, at the 1.5 - 1.8 ohms I vape it on mechanical REO using RM2. I cut it by a tiny bit plain VG today and TH eased a bit while flavor just as intense and a bit sweeter. Vapor, with just the small amount of VG added increased. (Same coil/wick and REO I was using yesterday.) Actually I was a bit shocked that flavor is coming through even better adding a bit of plain VG. I think I cut the juice by 1/8 th of the bottle which is bringing down the nic a bit.

DH always cuts our 18mg 50/50 juices with PG in his Mini ViVi Novas. He misses some flavor, though (which will happen with most juices in Novas). I told him to use plain VG instead but he won't as he has TH exactly where he wants it.

People have reported losing flavor with some juices using cotton wick. Bobas comes to mind.

Feisty Alice

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville
If I vape continuously over a period of time I start to loose the taste of the juice. In my case, it isn't the hardward or the juice, it's me. It's as if the tongue goes into vapor overload and the buds shutdown. If I stop vaping for several hours the taste comes back or if I have a meal the flavor of the juice seems to come back after the meal.....most times. However, even though the buds seem to temporarily shut down, I still get good TH. Are you still getting a good TH even though the taste has waned?

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
In the 2nd picture the coil looks like it could be a little farther out, closer to the outside and closed to the air hole?
The last picture looks pretty good,, but,, LOL for me,,,,,I would want it more squared up with the air hole a little farther out and a little less cotton tails. I don't leave much cotton on the left side or over the juice hole but thats just how i do it, doesn't mean the only way.

I'm still just a few weeks in using micro coils and rolled cotton. I usually wrap and wick pretty fast and move on. I'm still inconsistant about height and how close to cap is and also where placed at precise position to cap hole. (All my cap holes line up pretty close to middle of posts; r.e. most fairly close but not all exactly the same.) But I'm pretty consistent with coil being closer to post furthest from juice hole, tiny wick size, with hardly any tail by juice hole and small tail on other end. So.... I can take five different RM2s with coil positions, heights from cup and distance from posts varying, same REO, same juice, and get varying degrees of satisfaction. All good; some incredible. I think main variable is position of coil and position in relation to air hole.

I need to note my comparisons and build all the same.

Feisty Alice

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread