The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Can't get good flavor from my chimbus!

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomizer Systems' started by FrostyDream, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. FrostyDream

FrostyDream Full Member

Feb 11, 2012
    United States
    I'm new to rebuilding. I have a nimbus clone, came with a coil around silica, tasted like crap. Rebuilt it with cotton and was pretty good. That was a week ago so I'm rebuilding now and every time I try it tastes bad. Usually tastes like dirty socks and now it just tastes plain bad. did 5, 6, and 7 wraps around the alan key that came with the atty, duel coil at .6 - .8 ohms. The cotton has been boiled. The coils were torched before place on the atty and wicked. I've tried making the cotton looser in the coil. They don't heat up perfectly even but close enough. I've had similar luck with silica. They legs are clipped flush with the posts. I tried a dragon coil. didn't affect the taste. idk what to do.

2. cghildreth

cghildreth Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 4, 2012
    Central Texas
    Watch a few videos on how to setup micro coils. Follow the examples. Presto. You've got a great vape.

Post pics and we may be able to help more.

3. nickvegas

nickvegas Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 7, 2013
    las vegas
    It could be the insulator in the center post,It's usually made of cheep rubber if it's melted that's your colper.

4. Exile

Exile Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    Dallas,Tx
    Are you making sure your air flow hole is blowing directly in front/over your coil?

Post some pics if you can...

5. metamorpheus

metamorpheus Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 25, 2013
    AZ
    Those clones usually come with a good deal of machining oil, try cleaning with soap and hot water. Maybe vodka as well. What size air holes are on your clone? I had issues with my trident clone tasting burnt or off until I drilled an 1/8" hole.

6. FrostyDream

FrostyDream Full Member

Feb 11, 2012
    United States
    its got 3 holes only one side... im waiting until i find someone with a drill press to get one on the other side.

7. Velimere

Velimere Full Member

Jan 10, 2012
    United States
    My suggestion is to try vaping on something else to ensure that this isn't a case of vaper's tongue. It's something I personally struggle with losing the ability to taste a wide range of flavors and have to fall back on menthol and cinnamon flavors for some days before I can taste my favorites again.

8. whoaitsruss

whoaitsruss Full Member

Nov 27, 2013
    This happen to me with my igo L I took it to a vape shop and they told me use less cotton and before adding cotton add a drip or two to the coils and burn it off and ur taste will be better

Oh yea try a differ juice the juice u might be using if a new one may be bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Thrasher

Thrasher ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    I would be willing to bet much of it is having a second coil with no airflow on it. without proper airflow the second coil is overheating.

as an experiment pull one of the coils and try it in single mode to see if that changes anything.

10. zero66

zero66 Full Member

I agree with you, one side has adequate airflow and the other may be overheating and causing the bad vape...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.