Can't get my friend to stop smoking no matter what I do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Yeti

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2009
Black Hills, SD
I've given her some of the best of the best gear, a ton of DIY juice in just about every flavor of the rainbow and every nic level imaginable and she still won't give up the stinkies!

She seems to enjoy the flavors and enjoys vaping, she just continues to smoke as well.

It was so easy for me to switch to vaping (and that was 6 years ago using stick bats and 510 atties with blue foam after smoking for 30+ years!), why does it seem just not to "take" for some folks??

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I've given her some of the best of the best gear, a ton of DIY juice in just about every flavor of the rainbow and every nic level imaginable and she still won't give up the stinkies!

She seems to enjoy the flavors and enjoys vaping, she just continues to smoke as well.

It was so easy for me to switch to vaping (and that was 6 years ago using stick bats and 510 atties with blue foam after smoking for 30+ years!), why does it seem just not to "take" for some folks??

I quit smoking a few years ago... it was easy - I stopped smoking Camel Straights, and started vaping, all in one day. I've taken up the hobby aspect of vaping... going so far as to write a user guide for Steam Engine, among other ramblings.

My wife and daughter however... even though I'm a daily example of a "proper and dedicated vapist", they still smoke. My daughter has an enlightened emplyer who allows vaping in the office, so she vapes there... but once home, she smokes.

As ReigntheGamer points out, all the examples in the world won't amount to anything, until they're ready. Sad thing is, they both have medical issues, and the grim reaper may 'quit' them before they quit cigs.

Last edited:

TX Foilhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Some people love smoking. I am one of those. Love the smell, taste, etc. For me, I've picked up and put down vaping 3 or 4 times in the last 3 years. Only now starting to "take". I think its all mental and whether or not someone wants to quit. Patience my friend. Your friend will get there.

Same here.

As long as they are vaping some they aren't smoking as much. I never thought it would work until one day it did, so don't give up and continue to pass on advice as well as devices you never know when things will click.

Equilibrium

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2014
Georgia
People will only quit if they are at a point where they "want" to. You could've given me a hundred different juices and awesome setups but until I was ready none of it would've worked.
That right there is your answer.

She will quit when the desire to quit outweighs the desire to continue smoking.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
I've got a friend that's on his second go around vaping. He switched to swedish snus; work was not too understanding of vaping inside, so he figured that it'd be nice to get his fix inside... and in the great white north, that's pretty reasonable lol. I bought his gear off him for a decent price. After warm weather moved back in, he decided to switch back to vaping. He has a cigarette every once in a while, but he's happy and that's what matters.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows

Yeti, you're a good egg for trying to help your friend. However, certain things just aren't as easy for some as for others. Take Math. To me, Math is a no-brainer. However, there are so many people I know who have to pull out a calculator to add 2 + 5.

Patience, Grasshopper. Your friend has to *WANT* to stop smoking. It took me 3-1/2 years to make the final cutover. I just finally got tired of spending money on both vape gear/juice and cigarettes. Now, I won't go back :)

Ohm Gnome

Apr 27, 2015
Douglasville Ga
I know we're not supposed to talk about stuff here but I feel this is appropriate. This is crazy and I can't explain it but I've given up alcohol and something about as strong as possible that begins with a H. And I was a iv user. Now that was very very hard but I think it's easier than giving up cigarettes. At least for me. That's insane but seems to be true. Honesty I also believe some are just stronger willed than others.

Reactions: freepoet

Ohm Gnome

Apr 27, 2015
Douglasville Ga
I know we're not supposed to talk about stuff here but I feel this is appropriate. This is crazy and I can't explain it but I've given up alcohol and something about as strong as possible that begins with a H. And I was a iv user. Now that was very very hard but I think it's easier than giving up cigarettes. At least for me. That's insane but seems to be true. Honesty I also believe some are just stronger willed than others.

Reactions: khalidmna

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Yeti, you're a good egg for trying to help your friend. However, certain things just aren't as easy for some as for others. Take Math. To me, Math is a no-brainer. However, there are so many people I know who have to pull out a calculator to add 2 + 5.

Patience, Grasshopper. Your friend has to *WANT* to stop smoking. It took me 3-1/2 years to make the final cutover. I just finally got tired of spending money on both vape gear/juice and cigarettes. Now, I won't go back :)
6.5....duh

Bootiewootsy

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2014
Port Orange, Florida, USA
I have the same problem with my husband.. he has a real problem from smoking and he shouldn't be inhaling anything.. He just can't give them up, so I purchased the green ecig and he tried it and said maybe I hit the right thing. I certainly hope so, even tho he shouldn't be doing anything.. It takes their will and change of their own mind to be able to quit.
I will continue to try without nagging as I love him and certainly am afraid I am going to lose him.

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California

Sometimes someone has to be backed into a corner medically before they take nicotine replacement seriously.

You did good and you did the right thing, and that's all you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread