can't get the primer taste out of type A tank atty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Curry

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2011
Panama City, FL
All I've ever done was a quick blow out, drip a couple drops in and stick the tank on it & go.

Since odds are that you got it on the internet, popping back to the store isn't likely to be an option, so at that point I would try an alcohol bath. But I would use Everclear or Vodka. After some research and much debate a few years back in the pipesmoking community, I can't see me ever being truly comfortable with Isopropyl Alcohol.

Vinegar will cut most anything, but it imparts a taste of its own that would have to be removed - so even though it would probably work, it would also be more work.

bobsyeruncle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 5, 2010
    in a cave, eh?
    I haven't had any problem blowing the primer out of the Type A atties. I never really noticed any primer taste after blowing it out. It's possible you have something else going on with your atty. Like a problem with the atomizer's wick. :(

When you clean your atomizer, make sure you give it enough time to properly dry. It can actually take up to 48 hours to dry fully if you're using water. Then you want to prime your atomizer with 10 drops of your e-liquid and let it soak in for 10 minutes. When you put the tank on the atomizer, make sure it's snapped in all the way. Pushing the tank atomizer on takes some force.

You may be ready for a new tank atomizer, already. :( But good luck.

tat2d4life

ECF Veteran
    Feb 21, 2011
    somewhere NY
    when I had the type A, i tried cleaning them with alcohol...it never really worked...that said, blow it out, and blow it out again.... its hell to get the primer out of a type A, eventually it will burn off... try dripping a few drops of a thinner joose into the atty and get used to taking a few primer puffs before you hit it... :)

swedishfish

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 28, 2010
    NJ
    I can pry the plate off. But it's not something that can be screwed off and on if this is what Dormouse is picturing. Even with the right tools the plate is somewhat flimsy and can bend. I doubt if you can remove the plate too many times that it's not going to effect it. I think this is something that people came up with in a desperate attempt to keep the tank atty working. I don't think they were constructed so that people could remove them to clean them.

MasonD

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 17, 2011
    Our United States
    I don't do tanks, but isn't there a removable piercing plate? Do people remove that when cleaning the atty?

I haven't tried this yet on the primer thing, but it ought to work: If you remove the wick-plate, and take some napkin to that silver part around the coil (a lot of juice collects there, so I imagine primer, too), you could mop up the excess. I usually just vape on through it.

Many people, I've read, seem to not remove the wick-plate when cleaning, which is understandable... but to do the best cleaning-- the dry-burn-- you kinda have to, so you don't fuse the wick to the atty (the darker juices tend to caramelize on the wick, and this fuses to the build-up on the coil, leading quite a significant drop in vapor production in a hurry...)

It does require a little tinkery-do to get the plate out and in, but there's vids and whatnot on that, and IMO it's worth it, for the extra life-span you get from the atty. Once you get the hang of it, and find some tool which will work for it, it's not a big deal. I use a little hook thing-a-ma-jig that I found around the shop-- captain obvious reminds you to make sure whatever you use for it isn't rusty!

Xaiver

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2011
    Clearwater, MN
    I've only had 5 or so Type-A Attys, the first time I accidently dry burned it....took me a good 20 minutes, but I ran the water as hot as I could stand it, into the tank end, and then blew the water through. Rinse, repeat. I did that for the primer in my other atties, and it worked just fine.

Either way, don't give up on the eGo-T just yet, it's a nice little piece to have.
    Best of luck!
    -X

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread