CAN'T MAKE A SUCCESSFUL COIL BUILD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franshesca

Nov 5, 2015
I haven't tried it on my mod cuz it won't read anything under .2 ohms. the only thing I can think of is that maybe I'm tightening the wire too much. it would be simpler for me if I could do just a single coil build on my 4 post troll rda. is that possible? I have 24g, 26g, and 22g on hand. For an easy single coil reading anywhere from .3 to .5 ohms, what GA should I use and how many wraps of it?

Franshesca

Nov 5, 2015
With 24ga 6 wraps on a 3mm or 1/8 bit should give you .20-.25 ohms. Something is shorting out on your RDA.
Could I maybe test it on my ohms reader before I cut the leads to see if it's because I'm tightening them too much? that's the only thing I can think of, I just want a single coil to start out with, I have 22g, 24g, and 26g A1 Kanthal. What mm should I use and how many wraps of which GA should I use for a single coil with a reading anywhere from .3 to m5 ohms?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Could I maybe test it on my ohms reader before I cut the leads to see if it's because I'm tightening them too much? that's the only thing I can think of, I just want a single coil to start out with, I have 22g, 24g, and 26g A1 Kanthal. What mm should I use and how many wraps of which GA should I use for a single coil with a reading anywhere from .3 to m5 ohms?

Sounds like something is Funky. So here is what I would do.

If my Goal is to be at a Dual Coil with .4 Ohms, then I need to make 2 Coils that Each have .8 Ohms.

After giving my RDA a Good Cleaning, I would make a .8 Ohms coil out of 26ga Kanthal A1. Wrap 6 Wraps of the 26ga around a 2.5mm Screwdriver or Drill Bit. Don't worry about Half Wraps. And don't cut the Legs yet.

Now I would put the Coil in you RDA using the Outside Right Hand Post and the Center Left Hand Post. Don't cut the Legs flush with the Posts yet. Just let them stick out of the back of the Posts but make sure the are Not Touching anything. Things should look like this...

0 | 0 |

Now tight the Post Screws until they are Snug. Give the Coil a little Tug to see if legs can move in the posts. If it Can't, double check that the wire sticking out of the back of the Posts Isn't Touching anything. And then screw the RDA Base on you mod and give it a Brief Test Fire. The Ohms should be around .8 Ohms. Doesn't matter if it Isn't Exactly .8 Ohms. But it should be Close. Like .7 ~ .9 Ohms or so.

Now unscrew the RDA base from you Mod and Remove the Coil remembering which holes the legs were in. Then Put the Coil in the Other Post Holes.

It should look like this... | 0 | 0

Do the Same thing as before. Tighten the wires Snugly and Test on your Mod. You should get the Same (Basically) Ohms as the 1st Time. Around .8 Ohms. Now you know that Both Sets of Posts Works. And both give you the Same Ohms with the Same Coil.

Now you can Trim the Wires sticking out of the Back of the Posts and Build a Second Coil that is the Same Ohms as the First Coil, .8 Ohms. When you put the Second Coil on, it should look like this... | * | *

And when you Now Test it on your Mod, it should Read .4 Ohms.

-------

If the Above is just Too Much to do Right Now, and you just want to Run a .4 Ohm Single Coil, then you could make a Single Coil out of 24ga wrapped 5 Times around a 2.5mm Screwdriver or Drill Bit.

Just make sure to use one of the Outside Posts, and then One of the Center Posts.

Hope this gets you going.

Reactions: MacTechVpr

Franshesca

Nov 5, 2015
Sounds like something is Funky. So here is what I would do.

If my Goal is to be at a Dual Coil with .4 Ohms, then I need to make 2 Coils that Each have .8 Ohms.

After giving my RDA a Good Cleaning, I would make a .8 Ohms coil out of 26ga Kanthal A1. Wrap 6 Wraps of the 26ga around a 2.5mm Screwdriver or Drill Bit. Don't worry about Half Wraps. And don't cut the Legs yet.

Now I would put the Coil in you RDA using the Outside Right Hand Post and the Center Left Hand Post. Don't cut the Legs flush with the Posts yet. Just let them stick out of the back of the Posts but make sure the are Not Touching anything. Things should look like this...

0 | 0 |

Now tight the Post Screws until they are Snug. Give the Coil a little Tug to see if legs can move in the posts. If it Can't, double check that the wire sticking out of the back of the Posts Isn't Touching anything. And then screw the RDA Base on you mod and give it a Brief Test Fire. The Ohms should be around .8 Ohms. Doesn't matter if it Isn't Exactly .8 Ohms. But it should be Close. Like .7 ~ .9 Ohms or so.

Now unscrew the RDA base from you Mod and Remove the Coil remembering which holes the legs were in. Then Put the Coil in the Other Post Holes.

It should look like this... | 0 | 0

Do the Same thing as before. Tighten the wires Snugly and Test on your Mod. You should get the Same (Basically) Ohms as the 1st Time. Around .8 Ohms. Now you know that Both Sets of Posts Works. And both give you the Same Ohms with the Same Coil.

Now you can Trim the Wires sticking out of the Back of the Posts and Build a Second Coil that is the Same Ohms as the First Coil, .8 Ohms. When you put the Second Coil on, it should look like this... | * | *

And when you Now Test it on your Mod, it should Read .4 Ohms.

-------

If the Above is just Too Much to do Right Now, and you just want to Run a .4 Ohm Single Coil, then you could make a Single Coil out of 24ga wrapped 5 Times around a 2.5mm Screwdriver or Drill Bit.

Just make sure to use one of the Outside Posts, and then One of the Center Posts.

Hope this gets you going.
Thanks I'll try that. This morning I tried doing a single coil with 22g wire, I tried and tried doing 8 wraps to get around .4 ohms I think. Well still got a .05 reading on my ohms reader. I tried unscrewing the 510 connection screw, and put it back in snugly. I made 1 last coil with the 22g again with like 10 wraps, to get close to .5 ohms, somehow I succeded. My ohms reader showed .55. I put it on my mod and my mod reads the same ohms. so I fired it up, added some cotton and it does pretty well. is there any harm in using a .5 ohm 10 wrap single coil for now? For my mod it has to be .2 ohms or higher.

Franshesca

Nov 5, 2015
Thanks I'll try that. This morning I tried doing a single coil with 22g wire, I tried and tried doing 8 wraps to get around .4 ohms I think. Well still got a .05 reading on my ohms reader. I tried unscrewing the 510 connection screw, and put it back in snugly. I made 1 last coil with the 22g again with like 10 wraps, to get close to .5 ohms, somehow I succeded. My ohms reader showed .55. I put it on my mod and my mod reads the same ohms. so I fired it up, added some cotton and it does pretty well. is there any harm in using a .5 ohm 10 wrap single coil for now? For my mod it has to be .2 ohms or higher.
And also, what is the benefit of having higher or lower ohms?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... is there any harm in using a .5 ohm 10 wrap single coil for now? For my mod it has to be .2 ohms or higher.

No Harm at all.

Some, like myself, feel they get More Flavor when I use More Wraps verses Less Wraps at the Same Ohms.

So Nothing wrong with a 10 Wrap Single Coil @ .5 Ohms.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
And also, what is the benefit of having higher or lower ohms?

Hard to Say. Because Different people want Different things from the Type of Hit they get.

I'm more into Flavor that Clouds. So for Me, the Hit Tastes Better when I stay above .7 Ohms or so on a Single Coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread