Cant take the Oil taste. Any suggestions would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoeticChaoss

Jun 1, 2018
Arkansas
4 days into being a beginner vapor at 47. Trying to quit smoking cigarettes. My son bought me the VOOPOO Mojo and they set it up for me at the store. I am so uneducated when it comes to vaping. Every time I take a puff I can feel the liquid popping into my mouth and the taste of it is starting to make my stomach queezy. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I have watched some videos but am still not sure. Am I supposed to draw hard and fast or soft and slow? Am I supposed to have the air vents all the way open or slightly closed? I don't know how much longer I can stand to do this if that oil in my mouth is the norm. PLEASE, anyone with any suggestions I would so appreciate it.

Reactions: stols001

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
First off, what wattage do you have the mod set at? If you are using the tank that came with the mojo, those are intended to be ran at 40-80w since it comes with two 0.40 ohm coils. Its best to start low ( like 30-35w ) and work your way up to the max wattage by 3-5w at a time for a couple of hits at each level, stopping when you find it hits how you are satisfied with the vape quality.

Adjusting the airflow can help stop the popping and spitting. Too much airflow can make it too weak to enjoy, to little and it can get hot and spitty. I would start with the airflow half open and adjust to your taste.

The way you hit it can effect it as well, too light and the coils heat up too much and boil the juice, making it very hot, and it will spit and pop. Too hard and it can pull juice through the coil and cause flooding. Finding your preferred draw is up to you, but keep away from the extremes of too light and too hard.

PoeticChaoss

Jun 1, 2018
Arkansas
First off, what wattage do you have the mod set at? If you are using the tank that came with the mojo, those are intended to be ran at 40-80w since it comes with two 0.40 ohm coils. Its best to start low ( like 30-35w ) and work your way up to the max wattage by 3-5w at a time for a couple of hits at each level, stopping when you find it hits how you are satisfied with the vape quality.

Adjusting the airflow can help stop the popping and spitting. Too much airflow can make it too weak to enjoy, to little and it can get hot and spitty. I would start with the airflow half open and adjust to your taste.

The way you hit it can effect it as well, too light and the coils heat up too much and boil the juice, making it very hot, and it will spit and pop. Too hard and it can pull juice through the coil and cause flooding. Finding your preferred draw is up to you, but keep away from the extremes of too light and too hard.

Thank you for answering I have closed the vents half way and will just practice drawing until I find the right speed.. I started at 30w and I have moved it up to 40w so far. Hope you don't mind but another question, someone told my son that I should only draw for a max of 3 seconds per puff, but I have seen some videos that people are drawing for 5 to 6 seconds. Would it be another case of what ever feels best to me. I am just worried about over heating the coil and getting that burnt taste I hear so many talk about dreading.

Thanks again for the info.

SomethingElse

May 8, 2018
30 mi. WSW of CLE
Welcome to ECF, @PoeticChaoss, and congratulations on starting your road to quitting cigarettes. You are not alone in not being able to "stand ... that oil in [your] mouth." I'm not familiar with the VooPoo Mojo and @Zaryk, above, has some good advice. I'm sure you'll get more soon and it sounds to me like your coil might be flooded. You can try twisting the corner of a paper towel and, using the same twisting motion, push it down the "chimney," that's the hole you are "drawing/puffing" on. Leave the towel sit a second or two then pull it out. If it looks "wet" then you might have "cured" your problem. Also, if you are "in a hurry" and can't wait for more/better advice in this thread, you might have some luck using the "Search" feature near the top-right corner of almost every page on the forum. Good luck solving your problem and with quitting analogs.

PoeticChaoss

Jun 1, 2018
Arkansas

Oh almost forgot to ask. Any suggestions on flavors. The one I have now is so nasty tasting. Its supposed to be Pink Starburst but really only taste like nasty oil lol.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Thank you for answering I have closed the vents half way and will just practice drawing until I find the right speed.. I started at 30w and I have moved it up to 40w so far. Hope you don't mind but another question, someone told my son that I should only draw for a max of 3 seconds per puff, but I have seen some videos that people are drawing for 5 to 6 seconds. Would it be another case of what ever feels best to me. I am just worried about over heating the coil and getting that burnt taste I hear so many talk about dreading.

Thanks again for the info.

I don't mind another question at all, I am glad to answer whatever I can so don't hesitate to ask.

How long you take a draw is personal preference. You mod will stop after the fire button is pressed for around 10 seconds to stop any damage from occurring, so as long as your draws are shorter than that, you should have nothing to worry about.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Oh almost forgot to ask. Any suggestions on flavors. The one I have now is so nasty tasting. Its supposed to be Pink Starburst but really only taste like nasty oil lol.

I would suggest to start simple, like single flavor fruits, carmel, or anything that sounds good to you. Buy small quantities at first, just to try. Once you find something you enjoy, for example Carmel, maybe look for a Carmel cheesecake, or Carmel coffee.

PoeticChaoss

Jun 1, 2018
Arkansas
Welcome to ECF, @PoeticChaoss, and congratulations on starting your road to quitting cigarettes. You are not alone in not being able to "stand ... that oil in [your] mouth." I'm not familiar with the VooPoo Mojo and @Zaryk, above, has some good advice. I'm sure you'll get more soon and it sounds to me like your coil might be flooded. You can try twisting the corner of a paper towel and, using the same twisting motion, push it down the "chimney," that's the hole you are "drawing/puffing" on. Leave the towel sit a second or two then pull it out. If it looks "wet" then you might have "cured" your problem. Also, if you are "in a hurry" and can't wait for more/better advice in this thread, you might have some luck using the "Search" feature near the top-right corner of almost every page on the forum. Good luck solving your problem and with quitting analogs.

Thank you. I will try the paper towel trick as well. The VooPoo has a large ( well to me its large ) mouth piece. I was wondering, do they sell smaller ones so that I dont feel as if I am putting my mouth around the top of a pop bottle lol. Crazy thought but when taking a drag i feel I might lose some spit in it from having to drag on that big ole thing. I am also starting to think that maybe he should have bought me a vape pen instead of the one he did.

PoeticChaoss

Jun 1, 2018
Arkansas
I would suggest to start simple, like single flavor fruits, carmel, or anything that sounds good to you. Buy small quantities at first, just to try. Once you find something you enjoy, for example Carmel, maybe look for a Carmel cheesecake, or Carmel coffee.

Ok now those flavors sounds so much better and I will check my local store for something like those. They do have testers so guess I can try a few to see which I like best.

Thanks you've been a big help so far.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Thank you. I will try the paper towel trick as well. The VooPoo has a large ( well to me its large ) mouth piece. I was wondering, do they sell smaller ones so that I dont feel as if I am putting my mouth around the top of a pop bottle lol. Crazy thought but when taking a drag i feel I might lose some spit in it from having to drag on that big ole thing. I am also starting to think that maybe he should have bought me a vape pen instead of the one he did.
Yes, smaller drip tips are available. Your tank may have came with a adapter in the spares bag (small disk with a hole in the center). That is a 510 drip tip adapter, if it didnt come with one you would need to find one to use skinnier tips. You currently have what is called an 810 sized drip tip. You would need to check with your local vape shop, or online, to find one that works for you. You would be best to go to a shop to see the sizes in person.

SomethingElse

May 8, 2018
30 mi. WSW of CLE

You're quite welcome and, yes, there are smaller "mouth pieces," called "drip tips," available. However, it might not be suitable for your VooPoo but, like I said, I'm not familiar with it. Another thing to keep in mind is "usually" the "bigger mouth piece" (drip tip) is used for DL (Direct [to] Lung) inhaling which is different than MTL (Mouth-to-Lung) that you're used to from smoking cigarettes. With that in mind, indeed a "vape pen" geared toward MTL vaping MIGHT be something you could/should look into.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

PoeticChaoss

Jun 1, 2018
Arkansas
Yes, smaller drip tips are available. Your tank may have came with a adapter in the spares bag (small disk with a hole in the center). That is a 510 drip tip adapter, if it didnt come with one you would need to find one to use skinnier tips. You currently have what is called an 810 sized drip tip. You would need to check with your local vape shop, or online, to find one that works for you. You would be best to go to a shop to see the sizes in person.

Thank goodness I really hoping that I could get a smaller one. I have a pretty big store close to me where he bought this unit so I will check with them tomorrow to see about a smaller one. Don't think mine cam with the tip adapter. All I see in the box is a round piece of glass, a new coil i think their called and some rubber rings.

PoeticChaoss

Jun 1, 2018
Arkansas
You're quite welcome and, yes, there are smaller "mouth pieces," called "drip tips," available. However, it might not be suitable for your VooPoo but, like I said, I'm not familiar with it. Another thing to keep in mind is "usually" the "bigger mouth piece" (drip tip) is used for DL (Direct [to] Lung) inhaling which is different than MTL (Mouth-to-Lung) that you're used to from smoking cigarettes. With that in mind, indeed a "vape pen" geared toward MTL vaping MIGHT be something you could/should look into.

Ok I did the paper towel bit and yes it was wet when I pulled it back out. So does that mean I am drawing to hard or to long or am I not doing something right?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I know this is a learning process so I am really taking all the advice you guys give to heart. I really don't want to go back to cigarettes.

Hi PoeticChaoss. Welcome to the ECF.

There is somewhat of a Learning Curve when you start using an e-Cigarette. But nothing that You can handle. It just takes a little Time, and sometimes some Trial and Error, to find what works Best for You.

PoeticChaoss

Jun 1, 2018
Arkansas
Hi PoeticChaoss. Welcome to the ECF.

There is somewhat of a Learning Curve when you start using an e-Cigarette. But nothing that You can handle. It just takes a little Time, and sometimes some Trial and Error, to find what works Best for You.

Thanks. I know it will take some time. Just feel like I am doing every thing wrong lol. Thank you though for the advice.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Thank goodness I really hoping that I could get a smaller one. I have a pretty big store close to me where he bought this unit so I will check with them tomorrow to see about a smaller one. Don't think mine cam with the tip adapter. All I see in the box is a round piece of glass, a new coil i think their called and some rubber rings.

You may find a nice, smaller 810 tip that would work for you, if not you will need to source out the adapter to use the smaller 510 tips. I use 510 tips on my devices, so I can say with certainty that you can use small 510s on DL or MTL tanks. Just remember, the smaller 510s will have more of a restricted draw to them, and you may need to adjust the airflow to accommodate the difference.

SomethingElse

May 8, 2018
30 mi. WSW of CLE
Ok I did the paper towel bit and yes it was wet when I pulled it back out. So does that mean I am drawing to hard or to long or am I not doing something right?

Whether you're drawing too hard/long or not MIGHT and MIGHT NOT be the cause of the "flooding" of your coil. There are at least a few factors involved besides your puff length/strength. It could also be due to the juice/liquid you have in the tank or the coil itself and even how both of those "get along." I'm not an "expert" but I've experienced "bad" juice+coil combinations in the past with similar "results" to what you describe. I'm sure there will be some more-knowledgeable members that will soon offer other advice and suggestions, too. Nonetheless, it might be of some use for you to know that for some people, like me, leaving cigarettes using "vaping" is a "process." Even now, I'm the happiest I've been with the device and juices I learned about, never heard of before, on this forum a mere 6 weeks ago. However, I've yet to fully wean myself off of cigarettes but with my renewed level of "satisfaction" and the help and encouragement of other members here my cigarette consumption is decreasing day-by-day. Sometimes slow and steady wins the race. So take heart, don't get discouraged by a couple of snags and, if need be, don't feel bad if you have to smoke once in a while.

PoeticChaoss

Jun 1, 2018
Arkansas
Welcome to ECF. I direct lung draw and use 510 drip tips, they will work fine for you with an adapter. Unusual for a kit to not come with an adapter tho.

Thanks for the info. Didn't see one in the box but when I got mine my son had already had it put together and filled but I am assuming that they would not have put the adapter on it already but I could be wrong. This is my vapor and what was left in the box.

Attachments

• vape.jpg
    vape.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 45
  • vape1.jpg
    vape1.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread