Can't taste any of my e-juices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wuatt

Jan 26, 2019
BC, Canada
Hey all, I'm super new to this forum, but I could really use some help here.
So, I've been vaping for around two years, and for the past seven or eight months I haven't been able to taste any of my vape juices. I can smell all the flavours, and I can taste them if I put a little drop of juice on my finger and lick it (I know it's not great practice, but just thought I'd try it). but when I put it into my setup and vape on it I get an extremely muted flavour, to the point it almost isn't there at all. I've tried around twenty or so different flavours of all different kinds and it's the same with all of them (Tried different setups too, Sub-ohm, RTA, rda etc...).
Any feedback would be extremely appreciated. I really miss the old days when I could sit on my porch and really enjoy the flavour in my juices :(

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
A few possibilities. By far the most common is vapers tongue, which most often happens to me when I burn my tongue. Either on a spitting atty or pizza or something. For things to stay flavorless for that long you’d have to keep on burning your tongue occasionally though.

There is also bad wicking or other bad atty setup that just gives you a flavorless vape

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
A few possibilities. By far the most common is vapers tongue, which most often happens to me when I burn my tongue. Either on a spitting atty or pizza or something. For things to stay flavorless for that long you’d have to keep on burning your tongue occasionally though.

There is also bad wicking or other bad atty setup that just gives you a flavorless vape
switch to rayon.. rayon transports liquids cotton absorbs liquid. bad wick in coil can cause problem too

Wuatt

Jan 26, 2019
BC, Canada

I don't get spitback more than once every week or two, and I also get the same muted flavour from non-rebuildable setups aswell. Thank you for the response and thoughts though :)

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I have not used rayon yet but I have had a few bouts of not being able to taste my vape. You can try
-- smelling fresh ground coffee grounds --- alternatively, if in a can just take a few big whiffs
-- rinse your mouth with straight lemon juice and salt
-- eat some lemon or orange sherbert

#2 works for me temporarily.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
Hmm, I've never thought of that. Thank you for the idea. I'll have to try that as soon as I get a chance!
I vape 30mls a day so it's not a surprise when I got VT... I was starting to panic because it was becoming a chronic condition and I had finally stopped smoking 2packs a day... Vaping worked without me putting much effort into it. I happen to stumble over JeremyR here at ecf,, he saved my life IMHO because without him I would have just gone back to smoking Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
switch to rayon.. rayon transports liquids cotton absorbs liquid. bad wick in coil can cause problem too
Mmmmm... sort of. Rayon and cotton are very very close to the same thing. They both absorb and they both transport. One may do so more than the other of course. Iirc rayon has some weirdnesses about actually shrinking when wet or something. I’ve never used it myself so I’m not sure.

• Agree
Reactions: ranjen617

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I don't get spitback more than once every week or two, and I also get the same muted flavour from non-rebuildable setups aswell. Thank you for the response and thoughts though :)
Setup type wouldn’t change anything. Also a lot of things can burn your tongue, plus it’s not the only way vapers tongue happens, that’s just what happens to me when it get it. Maybe do a search on the site for vapers tongue threads. There should be a bunch of them.

ranjen617

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2014
Somewhere in mid - AL, USA
Have you tried to vape a mint like peppermint or spearmint? I keep a bottle handy for this. Also like others have stated to whiff coffee, mouthwash, etc. I have also used a sugarfree cough drop and also brush my teeth with Biotin toothpaste and use their mouth spray to keep away from dry mouth. I rarely evert get it.
Also I've changed flavor profiles back and forth since that leads to it as well. Custards will do this alot....:)

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
How are you with tasting foods? Any loss of flavor there?

I've had issues with taste/smell for years. I quit smoking probably 15 years ago. My sense of taste seemed to return after a while, but not sure it ever completely came back.

My issues aren't limited just to lack of flavor when vaping. I have to eat spicy foods to be able to taste anything as well. That kind of causes issues after a while too, I think you desensitize your taste buds.

How is your sense of smell? That's very important linked to your ability to taste as well. Like you, I can smell most things, but that's also muted for me.

I've been using the navage nasal flushing system daily for a few weeks now, and honestly, my sense of smell and taste is getting better. I think a lot of my problems are due to allergies/sinuses. I am not able to smell things I haven't in a long time, and I'm getting the ability to taste subtle flavors in food again.

Just wondering if you have any sinus or smell issues as well? I never realized how bad my sinuses were plugged up until I started flushing them out daily.

You likely have vaper's tongue to some degree as well. Switching to unflavored juice for a few days, or something with a completely different flavor profile will allow you to reset to some degree. I actually prefer unfalvored juices these days, and can really taste flavored juices after using unflavored for a while.

I also think many store bought juices have way too much flavoring in them. It overpowers the taste buds, and can desensitize you to the taste more quickly. When I mix my own juices, I prefer low flavoring amounts, just enough to notice it.

Wuatt

Jan 26, 2019
BC, Canada
Have you tried to vape a mint like peppermint or spearmint? I keep a bottle handy for this. Also like others have stated to whiff coffee, mouthwash, etc. I have also used a sugarfree cough drop and also brush my teeth with Biotin toothpaste and use their mouth spray to keep away from dry mouth. I rarely evert get it.
Also I've changed flavor profiles back and forth since that leads to it as well. Custards will do this alot....:)

Yeah, I have a bottle of menthol juice, and I can feel how cold it makes my lungs and throat feel, but I can't taste much more than a slight hint of the minty flavour. I've tried all of the vapers tongue cures, the only one that slightly worked was coffee beans, and that just made my vape have a slightly more sweet hint to it. Thank you for all the thoughts though! :)

• Love

Wuatt

Jan 26, 2019
BC, Canada
How are you with tasting foods? Any loss of flavor there?

I've had issues with taste/smell for years. I quit smoking probably 15 years ago. My sense of taste seemed to return after a while, but not sure it ever completely came back.

My issues aren't limited just to lack of flavor when vaping. I have to eat spicy foods to be able to taste anything as well. That kind of causes issues after a while too, I think you desensitize your taste buds.

How is your sense of smell? That's very important linked to your ability to taste as well. Like you, I can smell most things, but that's also muted for me.

I've been using the navage nasal flushing system daily for a few weeks now, and honestly, my sense of smell and taste is getting better. I think a lot of my problems are due to allergies/sinuses. I am not able to smell things I haven't in a long time, and I'm getting the ability to taste subtle flavors in food again.

Just wondering if you have any sinus or smell issues as well? I never realized how bad my sinuses were plugged up until I started flushing them out daily.

You likely have vaper's tongue to some degree as well. Switching to unflavored juice for a few days, or something with a completely different flavor profile will allow you to reset to some degree. I actually prefer unfalvored juices these days, and can really taste flavored juices after using unflavored for a while.

I also think many store bought juices have way too much flavoring in them. It overpowers the taste buds, and can desensitize you to the taste more quickly. When I mix my own juices, I prefer low flavoring amounts, just enough to notice it.

My sense of taste seems to be fine with foods, and I think my sense of smell is alright. But I do have a really weird congestion issue where one of my nostrils is always plugged. Sometimes its the right one and sometimes the left one. I might go to the doctors and see what they say about the sinus problem. And I've never tried mixing my own juices, not really even sure where I'd start with that. Thank you so much for the reply, you may have pushed me in the right direction with the sinus problem :)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Mmmmm... sort of. Rayon and cotton are very very close to the same thing. They both absorb and they both transport. One may do so more than the other of course. Iirc rayon has some weirdnesses about actually shrinking when wet or something. I’ve never used it myself so I’m not sure.
Hmmmm...sort of.

Rayon (cellucotton) does seem to shrink a little when wet, so one needs to use a little more in volume than one would use with ordinary cotton. However, in my experience a rayon wick lasts longer than cotton, flows better than a cotton wick, doesn't singe or burn like cotton (that black appearance where the coils were when you change your cotton wick), and never has that "new cotton" taste.

A $10 box from Sally's Beauty Supply will last four people a lifetime supply for wicking your atty's.

Last edited:

Wuatt

Jan 26, 2019
BC, Canada
Something crazy just happened. I asked my buddy who makes all of his own juice, and has been for many years, if I could try a bit of it on my RDA. So I used his Butterscotch Tabaco, and then his Strawberry lemonade with Koolada. I went into it with low expectations, but the results were OUTSTANDING. The flavour wasn't quite as strong as I used to experience before my issue with tasting, but there was undeniable flavour, and a good one at that. So just a few minutes ago when I got back to my house I tried my regular store bought juice, and still, nothing. No flavour at all, just a weird artificial sweetness in the back of my tongue... Does anybody know why the homemade juice had so much flavour compared to all my store bought stuff? If nothing else, I'll either pay my buddy for his juice, or take a stab at making my own next paycheck :D

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hmmmm...sort of.

Rayon (cellucotton) does seem to shrink a little when wet, so one needs to use a little more in volume than one would use with ordinary cotton. However, in my experience a rayon wick lasts longer than cotton, flows better than a cotton wick, doesn't singe or burn like cotton (that black appearance when you change your cotton wick), and never has that "new cotton" taste.

A $10 box from Sally's Beauty Supply will last four people a lifetime supply for wicking your atty's.
Yeah I’ll get to it eventually. Got this giant bag of mini cotton to get through first though.

Reactions: Baditude

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Something crazy just happened. I asked my buddy who makes all of his own juice, and has been for many years, if I could try a bit of it on my RDA. So I used his Butterscotch Tabaco, and then his Strawberry lemonade with Koolada. I went into it with low expectations, but the results were OUTSTANDING. The flavour wasn't quite as strong as I used to experience before my issue with tasting, but there was undeniable flavour, and a good one at that. So just a few minutes ago when I got back to my house I tried my regular store bought juice, and still, nothing. No flavour at all, just a weird artificial sweetness in the back of my tongue... Does anybody know why the homemade juice had so much flavour compared to all my store bought stuff? If nothing else, I'll either pay my buddy for his juice, or take a stab at making my own next paycheck :D

My first suspicion is he’s not putting something in his juice that IS in your store bought juice. Maybe ask him about his recipie.

Wuatt

Jan 26, 2019
BC, Canada
My first suspicion is he’s not putting something in his juice that IS in your store bought juice. Maybe ask him about his recipie.

He said his recipe is pretty normal. Just 75%VG 15%PG with 6mg nicotine and around 10% flavouring. His thought was that the flavours he puts in are either super different then what I usually use, or the amount of flavouring in his might just be my sweet spot. I can admit that Butterscotch Tabaco is something I have never even thought of let alone tried before, but the Strawberry lemonade is pretty far up my ally.

Reactions: DeloresRose

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
He said his recipe is pretty normal. Just 75%VG 15%PG with 6mg nicotine and around 10% flavouring. His thought was that the flavours he puts in are either super different then what I usually use, or the amount of flavouring in his might just be my sweet spot. I can admit that Butterscotch Tabaco is something I have never even thought of let alone tried before, but the Strawberry lemonade is pretty far up my ally.
Does sound normal for a mix. You may have issues with one particular flavoring. Some do. IIRC custards are one it can happen with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread