Can't Taste Tobacco in NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gentle Smoke

Jan 31, 2019
I'm a month and a half into vaping. I use an Armour Pro mod with a ceramic heater. I've primarily vaped Naturally Extracted tobacco LLC's Big Spirit, cold macerated and have moved on to double extract NET. However, I really don't taste tobacco. I'm on my third ceramic coil. When I changed to my second coil, I tried a mix of NET and shop bought tobacco flavor. For two to three hits, their was a heavenly taste of tobacco but, then it disappeared. At that time, I was watt vaping and have subsequently found that that mode is overkill with heat. I now exclusively use TC but, no tobacco flavor. I prefer 10/90 pg/vg because I find pg irritating. I also add 10% by volume Jack Daniels to bring down the boiling point. The flavor of Jack comes through loud and clear but, no tobacco. So am I genetically defective?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I'm a month and a half into vaping. I use an Armour Pro mod with a ceramic heater. I've primarily vaped Naturally Extracted Tobacco LLC's Big Spirit, cold macerated and have moved on to double extract NET. However, I really don't taste tobacco. I'm on my third ceramic coil. When I changed to my second coil, I tried a mix of NET and shop bought tobacco flavor. For two to three hits, their was a heavenly taste of tobacco but, then it disappeared. At that time, I was watt vaping and have subsequently found that that mode is overkill with heat. I now exclusively use TC but, no tobacco flavor. I prefer 10/90 pg/vg because I find pg irritating. I also add 10% by volume Jack Daniels to bring down the boiling point. The flavor of Jack comes through loud and clear but, no tobacco. So am I genetically defective?

........ :?:.... can I answer the last question without approaching the earlier stuff? It’s much more fun that way.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@Gentle Smoke, I can't speak for anyone else, but my own experience with ceramic coils was a bust, as far as flavor is concerned. Though I did not try NETs, I did find that it washed out all the flavors I did try (synthetic tobaccos, fruits, and bakery flavors).

If you have non-ceramic coils, or another atomizer that does not use ceramic coils; I would try the same e-liquids minus the ceramic influence... before blaming your palate, or e-liquid.

You mentioned using the Vaporesso Armour Pro as your mod. But, you did not specify the specific brand/model of atomizer, or the specific ceramic coils you are using. If, you are willing to share that info too, it might shed some additional light. :)

Something else to think about: flavor can also be greatly influenced by airflow, and the particular temperature chosen. Try opening/closing the airflow control (if the atty permits), along with raising/lowering the temperature. My own experience has shown me that different e-liquids (even with similar flavor profiles), can have significantly different airflow and power/temperature settings, to taste their best.

• Agree
Reactions: Vicman

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
Is the NET you moved to still Big Spirit just with double extract or did you switch flavor and brand? Is it a new bottle with the double extract?

I ask this because most NET's take some time to age before the flavor develops. Could be the double extract is adding to the time needed before the taste develops. I know my experience with Big Spirit was it took about a month before I got any taste out of it and it just got better the longer it aged. I believe NET.com puts the mix date on the bottles so you should be able to tell when it was mixed.

• Informative
Reactions: IDJoel

Gentle Smoke

Jan 31, 2019
In reply to your questions: I use Cascade Baby Tank with GT cCell2 ceramic; I just bought a Geek Vape, Ammit Dual RTA but, I'm in the burning cotton stage (ordered Rayon); as far as temp/air flow, I shoot for the lowest temp to get dense vape (aprox 340F) and I use minimal air entrainment and my Big spirit was manufactured 12 days ago. I suspect that the bottom line is that the flavors are too subtle for my 50 year smoking abused taste buds.

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
In reply to your questions: I use Cascade Baby Tank with GT cCell2 ceramic; I just bought a Geek Vape, Ammit Dual RTA but, I'm in the burning cotton stage (ordered Rayon); as far as temp/air flow, I shoot for the lowest temp to get dense vape (aprox 340F) and I use minimal air entrainment and my Big spirit was manufactured 12 days ago. I suspect that the bottom line is that the flavors are too subtle for my 50 year smoking abused taste buds.
It could be your taste buds are still in the healing process. Don't give up on the juice yet though, it will probably get more flavorful within a month. It's just the nature of the beast with NET's. They provide a good tobacco taste but are rough on coils and take time to mature.

There's a large thread devoted to NET's which would be a good source of information and a good place to ask questions to people a whole lot more knowledgeable about NET's than me Natural Tobaccos - Part Deux

By the way, welcome to the forum and congrats on taking up vaping.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Thanks for the additional info. :thumbs:

I think @Vicman might be correct about some of the problem though. 12 day-old NET is extremely "young." True NETs often require a minimum of a month in order for their flavors to fully bloom. I would not pass final judgement for at least a few more weeks.

I went looking... on Vaporesso's website, here on ECF in the hardware sections, and at various online resellers... and nowhere can I find a statement saying the GT Core coils (the ones used by the Cascade Baby) are temperature control compatible. I was unable to find what wire type(s) the GT Core coils use.

The temperature mode on any mod is only compatible with specific wire types: stainless steal (SS), titanium (Ti), Nickle (Ni). Kanthol, and nichrome are both resistance wires, and can NOT be used in temperature control mode (at least not with the Armour Pro). Trying to operate a mod in temp mode, without a temp compatible coil, is a recipe for an unsatisfying vape.

To be fair; I also did not see any statement explicitly saying they are not temp mode compatible. I would contact your reseller, or Vaporesso directly, for clarification.

In the mean time; I would suggest returning to wattage mode, and trying to finding a better/preferable wattage. Vaporesso recommends (for the GT CCell2) :
upload_2019-2-12_19-0-10.png

(source)

I see, from Vaporesso's website, that the Cascade Baby does not have adjustable airflow. So, you might need to expand that range, by 5 watts or so (higher and lower). Keep in mind, these are only recommendations. And, you may find you prefer higher or lower, to suit your own vaping style.

At any rate; I hope you can get it working for you. I know how frustrating it can be; when something doesn't work like you anticipate.
Best wishes... :toast:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Vaporesso is silent on GT Core material.
I don't know if you ever heard back from Vaporesso; but I shot them an email myself. Here is their reply:
upload_2019-2-15_16-21-57.png

So, it looks like ONLY the GT CCELL is temp mode compatible. Since that is what you said you are using you should be okay.
:)

Reactions: Mordacai
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread