Can't vape while congested??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMayberry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Virginia
I have gotten a "summer cold" I guess and it is mostly just sinus congestion. I have the normal drainage and coughing. If I take even the smallest hit, with 6mg juice, I get choked up and cough like a madman. Has anyone ever experienced this or is it just me? I have tried several juices, fruity, creamy, custards, etc etc. All give the same result. Oddly enough, I got a cig froma guy at work this morning just to see if it would too, and it didn't!! I thought surely that the first one in so long would create a coughing fit, but it went down just fine.

I'm not going to buy a pack, so no worries there, but does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
vape can be "harsher" on the back of the throat than many cigarettes... even low mg juices. My wife and daughter, who both smoke, can only take a tiny vape, and they cough like they'd hit a cheap cigar. ;-)

Try a high VG, menthol or mint... even one with a fruity tone to it - and if need be, cut it down with some straight VG or distilled water, if it doesn't wick well in your atomizer. A cheap, ready to go version might be something along the lines of MBV "Thug Juice" in a 3mg, "Max VG" blend.

TomGeorge

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2014
Buffalo/Rochester
I am actually going through the same thing right now. And like you, I tried a cig and was amazed that it didnt make me cough. I went to the doctor (because it is my third summer cold this year) and she prescribed me a nasal steroid to help with the inflammation. the last time I just waited it out and in about a week it was gone (or in cold remission, since it came back in a little over a month). The steroid is helping tho, that and mucinex-d.

P.S. I forgot to add that I use 100% VG or very close to it and 6mg and still couldnt vape :/

Last edited:

moralizer

Verified Member
May 23, 2014
Toronto, Canada
I had a recent bout of not being able to vape. I switched to analogs for nearly two weeks. I did not have a congestion, but I may have had some bug.

Anyhow what helped me start vaping again was adding a 2-3 drops of distilled water to my juice (I added it to the tank while refilling). It made it a tad more prone to overflowing, but has nearly removed the coughing and harshness.

GMayberry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Virginia
Pull the vapor slowly into your mouth and then inhale just enough to be able to exhale through the nose. You'll get all the nicotine absorption without having to inhale. Most of the nic is absorbed through the mouth and sinuses, anyway.

I "kinda somewhat sorta" figured that out. :D Even doing a mouth-only inhale, I tend to inhale a bit sometimes and it makes me cough a bit, but NOTHING like at first. And I think this Zyrtec is doing the trick!! <------ I am in no way affiliated with Zyrtec. HAHA!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread