Can't yet find a consensus: Storage of E-Juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
A dank basement in SE Minnesota
It's amazing how little agreement there can be here on ECF, even between veterans. Does steeping help? Yes and/or no. Is TH strictly a function of PG level and nicotine content? Not necessarily. Am I looney for spending half my waking life on these fora? Probably. LOL

My question: I am in the enviable position of owning too much e-juice. Some of it has come from gifts/PIF, most of it was purchased while I was still clueless. Okay, okay... I am still clueless.

Anyway, is it best to refrigerate e-liquid? Again, there seems to be no consensus, so I'm bringing the question here. I've read on ECF that only DIY materials benefit from refrigeration, but that makes no sense. If refrigerating the flavors, base and nic liquid is a good idea, doesn't it follow that blended e-liquids should also be put in the fridge?

Sub-questions:

1. How long will the average e-liquid last before it spoils?

2. If not refrigerated, then is it better to keep it in a cool and dark place? (I've read that dark storage of e-liquids can result in slight oxidation of the nicotine, causing the liquid to turn yellow/brown/red).

3. Are juice bottles provided by vendors airtight, or should they be further sequestered from air? (I ask this, because my current "storage locker" smells like a circus (minus the elephant dung, of course). I can hardly stand to open the refrigerator, as the mix of smells is quite intense.

What do the veterans say? TIA.

Sallana

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
the North Pole
www.lynnekirsch.com
1. It depends on how old it was when you got it, and the quality of the ingredients used. But I'd say roughly anywhere between 3 to 6 months.

2. Almost everyone will advise a dark, cool place. The reason refrigeration isn't always desirable is because most refrigerators operate at too low a temperature for the optimum storage of e-liquid. Some people have bought adjustable temperature mini-fridges that seem to work out good for them. Leaving the temp somewhere between 60 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

3. This clearly depends on the vendor but I haven't gotten juice from any of them in a condition I would consider air tight. I would dub this as a "No."

Personally, and this is just my own experience.. I keep my liquid in a cabinet. In my office. None of them have ever spoiled.

menthollight

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
USA
I don't think you'll find a consensus on storage!

I stocked up on liquid from China long ago, so I don't have much experience with USA made liquids, but many of those Chinese liquids (mostly Dekang) have a printed expiration date that's two years after the production date.

For long term storage, I keep my liquids in their original bottles in airtight Tupperware style containers in the refrigerator, and I have flavored liquids that are well over a year old that are still perfectly good. I would guess that the nicotine level may have declined some over time, but it's not noticeable to me, they still satisfy my nicotine craving.

On the other hand, I've never kept any liquids unrefrigerated for the long term, so they might have done just as well sitting on the shelf.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
We have a Library article on this:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/134842-long-term-storage-e-liquid.html

Kurt's answer is probably the best overall on this. Basically, in the freezer is best for long term. For any type of medium/long term storage, always store in glass not plastic, and fill the bottle so there is no headspace. Plain liquids will last longer than mixes because there are several things in a mix that will accelerate decomposition.

Fridge storage can work fine or go wrong, depending on many factors. Some people (like Sun V.) lost a lot of liquid in the fridge, maybe that was down to plastic bottles / mixed liquid ingredients / too much headspace for air (oxygen) etc.

As yet no one has complained their freezer-stored liquid went off. In theory a plain liquid stored correctly in a freezer will last years.

The problem is how to store mixes - but in glass, in a freezer, should work. There might need to be some headspace allowed due to water content. It would make sense to put the bottles in a container of some kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread