The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Capella concentrates, so far so good. 5% so far works great, how could you go 15%

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by legitdna, Jan 6, 2018.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. legitdna

legitdna Full Member

Jan 3, 2018
    New to vaping an DIY. Just did a batch last night of new Capella and other concentrates.
    So far tried the Boston Cream Pie V2, chocolate glazed doughnut and Labyrinth.
    After just a quick speed steep in warm water and 1 day, am really impressed. The flavour is just right really, all mixes done at 70/30 VG/PG 5mg nic.
    Boston Cream Pie is really nice. Also like the Doughnut and currently vaping the Labyrinth which is tasting great too.
    5% for all seems about right. Glad I didn't start higher as I'm sure they're going to improve with age.
    Vaping at 80watt in a HorizonTech Arco tank, do other setups change flavour that much?
    Perhaps the higher Nic content changes flavour to the point of needing higher % .
    Well maybe I'm just a noob and appreciating any taste at all ;)

• Like Like x 7
  2. Sugar_and_Spice

Sugar_and_Spice Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    It is the higher heat and lower ohms that can change the taste of ejuice. The subohm members can actually lower the mg(nic strength) and their flavoring and get the same type of results as someone who MTL at 9 watts and a 1.8ohm that uses more mg and flavoring.
    Another thing also, is the new vapers that order store bought ejuice need higher % of both nic and flavor and unfortunately sweetener too because smoking kills their sense of taste and smell. Once those senses return you may see them moving to lower levels of both.

:)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. legitdna

legitdna Full Member

Jan 3, 2018
    I see, guess 6 weeks off the cigs and my taste buds are returning. Running 0.2 Ohm coils so 5mg is working great and yeah flavour at 5% is good too.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I flavor on the lower side of the equation, even with MTL. If I use a sweetener it's with reluctance and usually just a few drops. I no longer like how storebought flavors taste to me, now that my tastebuds have returned.

Every flavor is slightly different and may be used at different percentages. FA for example, tends to be a bit stronger than other mixes. But it sounds like you are off to a great start! Glad it's working out for you.

Anna

• Like Like x 5
  5. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Flavorings can change wildly with percentage increases. You can go from great to Yuck quickly. When you experiment, work upward with percentages in small batches so you don't end up with an unvapable bottle. If you do, then cut it with unflavored juice to dilute. Having a good sized bottle of unflavored around is a good thing. Lots of us vape unflavored juice a significant portion of the day and also use it to fix a strong mix.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Sloth Tonight

Sloth Tonight Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 25, 2014
    Adirondacks
    That's awesome. It took me about 2 years to fully regain my sense of taste and smell. I started noticing a difference within a few weeks but it kept getting better and better. I smoked over a pack a day for 9 years.

• Like Like x 4
  7. go_player

go_player Super Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 2, 2012
    USA
    Indeed- wh9heartedly agree. Even within flavor lines that try to be consistent about percentages... 4% of one flavor might be generally nice, and 1% of another in the same line might be way too much. There isn’t really a shortcut to knowing your flavors, but checking percentages used in recipe databases can give you a starting point.

But, to further complicate things, palates vary wildly when it comes to juice, so while databases can offer some guidance on starting percentages (like maybe don’t test FLV Rich Cinnamon at 4%,) in the end you kind of have to dial them in through trial and error.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Beamslider

Beamslider Ultra Member Verified Member

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    I used to use around 15% or so with several mixes. Liked them but was doing them in cartomziers. I now use around 5% to 8% and like them a lot in a tank.

I still have a couple of bottles of the high flavor % mix around and they taste horrible to me now.,

• Like Like x 4
  9. OlderNDirt

OlderNDirt Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Nov 8, 2014
    Nebraska
    This thread and question comes at an opportune time for me........

I recently got and tried the CAP Lemon Meringue Pie V2. Mixed up a batch December 20 at 10%, 35/65, 6mg nic and been tasting it in Big Baby Beast. I gave it about 5 days steep before first test and tried it several days later, but very little flavor came through. Added 5 drops to what was left, maybe 12ml or so, and couldn't tell any change. Vapable, but seems much closer to flavorless then any noticeable flavor. So.......

Anybody tried or use the LMP V2 and at what percent?

As it applies to this thread and probably applies to any brand of flavoring: I've read many comments that too much flavoring can mute a/the flavor. So in this situation (or even if I started the first batch at 5%), which way should I go? More or less flavoring and how small of steps? Is "that flavor percent range" smaller on some flavors? It seems, at least with this flavor, that no matter the staring percent, it's more of a try and hope process. Maybe it just comes down to how much time/effort I'm willing to put into it to make it work, if at all.

This is my first mix with this "weak" of a flavor. All others, and there are not a lot yet, come out close enough that a simple take it up/down a bit on the next mix seems to dial it in. This flavor looks to be a challenge.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Letitia

Letitia Nano Junkie

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Easier to just mix up 10ml at 4% and another 10ml at 10%. ELR recipes recommended single mix is for 9.8%. I ordered the Cap lemon meringue pie v1 today. ELR recipes forum tools are invaluable to new diyers, I suggest you join and make use of them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. OlderNDirt

Nov 8, 2014
    Nebraska
    I did read some comparisons on the difference between V1 and V2 after trying my V2, but not sure my palette would be able to detect those nuances. Will be curious how it works out for you.

Even doing that kind of points out my question. If I did that and both came out rather muted, I would probably split the difference and mix up another at 7% and while at it, one at 14%. I would think, out of those 4 mixes I would have it covered or close enough. Or better yet, if one came out better/stronger, start working with that one.

If that is for LMP V2 (if not, let's say it is), would 0.2% difference actually even be discernable let alone, become rather muted? I'm not sure I even have the ability to mix that accurately, especially in a 10ml tester. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  12. Letitia

Letitia Nano Junkie

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I always round up. Just did not want to misquote ELR flavor list. I usually go with v1 versions because they generally taste better imo. I mix singles using recommended percentages. I mix 15ml testers and taste throughout a 6 week time period. If it's still too weak after the 3rd week I'll mix another tester a bit stronger or add in another flavor to see if I can get it to pop.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Sugar_and_Spice

Sugar_and_Spice Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    I am kind of in agreement with @Letitia in the way to test. However, with that said lemon can be a finicky type of flavor. I don't think at this point you have too much flavor.

You could make it easier on yourself with dividing what you have left in half. Add 1 or 2 % (depending on volume, in this case 6ml)of flavor in one, and your nic base in the other one(diluting this one to see if flavoring was too much). That way you have an idea of which way to go without totally having to get new bottles,caps, etc. lol..... and in the end can always put the 2 back together.

just my 2 pennies.

eta you could also try adding a straight lemon flavoring but again if you have to order yet another flavor......sigh...lol

:)

• Like Like x 2
  14. OlderNDirt

Nov 8, 2014
    Nebraska
    I tried my "bumped up" batch again today and thought it was better. Could all be in my mind (like that would be any surprise!) or perhaps a couple more days steeping helped it out. Have enough left to try it for another few days and if still as good or better, I should have a reasonable starting (or maybe even ending) point.

Thanks for the tips!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Letitia

Letitia Nano Junkie

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Once steeped you may have to add more lemon. Pie crust and meringue are smooth and lovely after a steep, but lemon tends to fade. I've been getting good results with FA lemon sicily and adding a couple of JF lemon. FA fades after about 3 weeks, but the ones I added a little JF too are holding up better.

• Like Like x 1
  16. IDJoel

IDJoel Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    @OlderNDirt, a couple of general thoughts...

Lemon flavors (in general; and only from my own experience) can be rather short-lived. They tend to be more aromatic (by which I mean: dependent on smell in order to perceive flavor) than most(?). I only get about 1½-2 weeks of "quality" vaping from stand-alone lemons; then the flavor fades rapidly. It also (to me) is not suitable for any sort of heat treatments. I have the impression, that whatever makes up the flavor molecules for "lemon," are extremely volatile and dissipate if you look at them cross-eyed.

I mention this, because this may be a flavor better suited (at least as a stand-alone) to shake-n-vape vs. steeping... at least for testing purposes. You had mentioned a five day steep, and then a few days more. I don't know if you applied heat, or had excessive headroom in your storage bottles, but I have found both to be detrimental to lemon e-liquids.

Another thing, that might cause early/excessive flavor fade, is excessive frothing/aeration. I don't recall how you prefer to mix, but if you use an electric stirrer/frother (or even a magnetic stir plate), try to use it as little as you feel comfortable with to get adequate blending (for this particular flavor).

All that said, the reviews I have been able to find, seem to be all over the board. Everything, from it is "awesome," to "Weak and no/little flavor. Need to supplement with other lemons and/or crusts." So, it is quite possible this flavor is one of those; that is a winner for some, and a loser for others. It could also be due to mishandling.

Likewise, (for those who stated them) single flavor preferences seem to be all over the board, as well. I saw a low of 4%, and highs of 20%. So where you go (from 10%) is anybody's guess.

As a bit of a lemon fanatic; I have come to adopt the following as "best practices" (for myself) when mixing lemon dominant recipes:
    • Never use any heat. Don't heat a fresh mix in any fashion. Don't heat other ingredients that are to be added to the recipe during mixing (e.g. VG (in order to thin)). (Ultrasonic cleaner also seemed to accelerate/amplify flavor loss.)
    • Minimize exposure to air. Stir as little as possible to blend (shaking in a closed container is best; but I still tend to use my little Badger hand mixer sparingly). Fill the bottle to minimize excess headroom. Multiple smaller bottles that are kept full, and then used in a couple/few days; seem to last better, than one large bottle that has lots of headspace for an extended time.
    • Blending with other flavors may help to stabilize the lemon and make it less(?) volatile. That said; some recipes seem to hold up better than others (for me). I have not been able to put my finger on what specific ingredient(s) are helping to prolong/extend the lemon notes.
    • Make small batches. Because, regardless of what I do to try and coddle my lemon mixes, two weeks (rarely three) seem to be the max (unless more lemon is added; when the fade begins).
    DISCLAIMER: My thoughts are based solely on my own experiences with various lemon concentrates. I HAVE NOT tried Lemon Meringue Pie V2! I have used LMP V1; but only in one recipe, and not as a stand-alone. (And that one recipe uses the addition of CAP Juicy Lemon, and FA Lemon Sicily, to support/fill out the CAP LMP V1.) Others may have vastly different experiences.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. go_player

go_player Super Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 2, 2012
    USA
    I don’t have that flavor so I can’t comment on it specifically, but one thing to be aware of is that a lot of us are, to one degree or another, “flavor-blind” to certain compounds used in making juice.

Strawberry flavors are probably most notorious for this- a lot of people just can’t taste most Strawberries in juice, even if they can taste actual strawberries just fine. So it’s possible that this flavor relies heavily on compounds that don’t have much of an effect for you.

Or... something else could be going on...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. OlderNDirt

Nov 8, 2014
    Nebraska
    Thanks @IDJoel !

As you know, I am a rather simple guy. So I do nothing fancy with my mixing. I do my testers of 20ml in a 30ml bottle (room for a good shake), give it a good shake, then vape within a couple days or steep if one is known and needed. No heat, ultrasonic, or stirrers.

I only bought a 13ml tester battle for a try, so no big loss if it doesn't work out well. I'll finish what's left of this batch, mix another with a bit higher flavor percent, then pay better attention to any changes from day 1 till ?.

• Like Like x 2