Status
Not open for further replies.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I picked up a bottle of Capella's Vanilla Custard (VC) and several other flavors to use in my search for "vaping perfection". When the VC bottle came, I made up a batch @ 12%, no nic 60PG/40VG. I only used VC just to get see how it fares by itself. Smells great in the bottle and of course I did not want to wait for it to steep. (I have read that steeping can help mellow out this flavor.)
Almost immediately upon vaping I noticed an odd sensation in the back of my throat. Feels like I'm starting to get a sore throat or that there is some congestion, but indeed there is none. It's not painful but it does concern me and I am curious to know if anyone else has encountered this.
From reading I gather that Cap's VC is a great base for making quite a few recipies and I hope I'm not sensitive to this flavoring.
Thanks in advance for any help or comments.....

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
I picked up a bottle of Capella's Vanilla Custard (VC) and several other flavors to use in my search for "vaping perfection". When the VC bottle came, I made up a batch @ 12%, no nic 60PG/40VG. I only used VC just to get see how it fares by itself. Smells great in the bottle and of course I did not want to wait for it to steep. (I have read that steeping can help mellow out this flavor.)
Almost immediately upon vaping I noticed an odd sensation in the back of my throat. Feels like I'm starting to get a sore throat or that there is some congestion, but indeed there is none. It's not painful but it does concern me and I am curious to know if anyone else has encountered this.
From reading I gather that Cap's VC is a great base for making quite a few recipies and I hope I'm not sensitive to this flavoring.
Thanks in advance for any help or comments.....

What you seem to be experiencing has been reported by many ECFers. At 7.5% it's totally unvapable to me (rips/shreds my throat & lungs) after just a few vapes. Hubby can vape a bit more, but then starts tightening up & coughing.

We attribute it (as do others in posts we're read over the months that I didn't bookmark) to the diacetyl-like buttery chemical - acetyl proprionyl...which has been shown in tests to be as dangerous as diacetyl.

Perhaps it will 'steep out' for you, but the only way we can use it at all is at around 3-4% - and due to it's known acetyl proprionyl content, we vape it only for 'special occasions'.

Vape Safe!

EDIT: Here's a Google search of all of ECF, containing the phrase "vanilla custard" + cough OR lung OR throat OR irritation https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=&as_epq=vanilla+custard&as_oq=throat%2C+lungs%2C+irritation%2C+cough&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.e-cigarette-forum.com&as_occt=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=

Last edited:

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I'd love to have the instruments available again to be able to test these flavors. It would be very nice to know concentrations and components of the various flavorings. It drives me crazy wondering if something is safe. Sort of like having a bottle of HCL and not knowing if it's 1M or 4M -- not good....lol.
Most Capella flavor I've used over the years needed to be 10% or better for decent flavor. Maybe they are concentrating their flavors more now. Again, not knowing the values, it's hard to know. Think I'll do some dilutions to try it at some lower concentrations.
After I started the thread, I added 1% each of two other flavors and oddly, I didn't notice the feeling in my throat. Now I'm really wondering... did whatever was bugging me "vent off" in a short time or did what I added mask it??? Dang, this could drive a person to distraction....lol.
Thanks for your reply.....

Just noticed the link...I'd swear it wasn't there before...lol.... Thanks again!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread