Car Lighter Passthrough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonMan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Thanks for the lead MoonMan! The physical connections look like they'll work with a USB passthrough. Do you know if there needs to be any sort of voltage reducer to take it from 12vdc to 4vdc before connecting to the vaporizer? Can the vaporizer handle 12v without frying?

12v will kill an atomizer DEAD.

I know these adapters work with passthroughs, because I used mine with one quite a bit. They have a built-in voltage stepdown circuit. You can get these adapters for under $5 if you look around.

Do you have a passthrough already, or do you want to make one? If you already have one, just get one of these - no need to make anything at all.

Last edited:
I'll probably buy one. I found an adapter in the US similar to the one you linked for about $9. I'll need to buy a USB passthrough, so the whole setup will probably cost about $25.
How does your setup work for you? Does it generate enough vapor? I hear complaints about the USB passthroughs connected to computers not generating enough heat to get good vapor, but I'm assuming that is a result of low voltage being provided by the computer.

MoonMan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
I'll probably buy one. I found an adapter in the US similar to the one you linked for about $9. I'll need to buy a USB passthrough, so the whole setup will probably cost about $25.
How does your setup work for you? Does it generate enough vapor? I hear complaints about the USB passthroughs connected to computers not generating enough heat to get good vapor, but I'm assuming that is a result of low voltage being provided by the computer.

The passthrough worked well with my 901 (on my computer and in my car), but I have moved on to battery packs and mods so I don't use a passthrough anymore.

If you want to use the passthrough with a computer and it isn't working well, most people recommend getting a USB hub with a separate power supply.

Nicfits

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Texas
www.e-smokers-forum.com
you need to make sure the output of the adapter is atleast 5V/1000mA
for it to work properly.

Exactly.
I tried an Ipod specific 12 volt cigarette lighter usb adaptor and it did not have enough amperage.
I am using a USB wall plug 120 volt adaptor (Ipod specific) plugged into a small 100 watt power inverter that plugs into a cigarette lighter. It works great. I am just using what I already had. Walmart.com: Black & Decker 100W Power Inverter: Home Improvement
It does put out a littel fan noise. You can get bigger ones for not much more that can be mounted in the trunk or engine compartment, then just run an extension cord to where you need it.
The little one I have powers my laptop, which is why I got it in the first place.

joniliff

Apr 5, 2009
Nevada
A lot of misconceptions going around here...a 5V, 500ma USB connector will work great on your ecigs!

Whether or not you draw 1A depends on the internal resistance of your atm...and you'll see specs in the forum where the atm can be as low as 3 ohm...but that's cold. The techies are telling you that as the atm warms, the resistance increases. If the resistance goes to, say, 10 ohms, the atm would only draw 500ma, assuming the supply was good enough to maintain the 5V!

The computer USB provides a lot less than the 500ma, because of the other USB devices attached...even a good external powered USB hub will not provide 500ma, but they work well.

The 'wall plugs' usually have a capacity up to 2A...but that will never be seen in your atm, as they will only draw about 1A, and that's when they are cool...the current will decrease as they warm up.

Bottom line: your atm will never see 1A, except at startup...when vaping, you'll be doing good to see 500ma

Questions? Address them to me here, and we'll discuss as you like.

John

USB20Charger20iPhone3g1.jpg

if you're in the US: Walmart has this, works great

Nicfits

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Texas
www.e-smokers-forum.com
Ya Nicfits, I have the same power inverter and got tired of the fan noise. Opened it up and cut the fan wire. No more fan noise and no overheating problems. Ive had it for over a year that way and no problems.

That's good to know, I may cut the wire on mine as well. Do you use it for anything else besides your E-cig? I am wondering if it will overheat if I run a laptop off it.

lec666

Apr 9, 2009
somerville,ma
A lot of misconceptions going around here...a 5V, 500ma USB connector will work great on your ecigs!

Whether or not you draw 1A depends on the internal resistance of your atm...and you'll see specs in the forum where the atm can be as low as 3 ohm...but that's cold. The techies are telling you that as the atm warms, the resistance increases. If the resistance goes to, say, 10 ohms, the atm would only draw 500ma, assuming the supply was good enough to maintain the 5V!

The computer USB provides a lot less than the 500ma, because of the other USB devices attached...even a good external powered USB hub will not provide 500ma, but they work well.

The 'wall plugs' usually have a capacity up to 2A...but that will never be seen in your atm, as they will only draw about 1A, and that's when they are cool...the current will decrease as they warm up.

Bottom line: your atm will never see 1A, except at startup...when vaping, you'll be doing good to see 500ma

Questions? Address them to me here, and we'll discuss as you like.

John

please don't make claims that your not familiar with as you'll mislead folks.

maddog has proven with test equipment that aty's work best with 1A or
better. a self powered usb hub provides up to 1.5A if needed. your pc's usb
ports have nothing to do with how many devices you have plugged in but
how much current your psu can supply them. worst case is around 12A
which is more than enough,but generally a standard usb 2.0 port can deliver
up to 1.2A.

i own several usb adapters,cig lighter,wall outlet....etc some are rated to
750ma. guess what ? none of them work even half decent. it very much
proves maddog's numbers. my home made 801 manual passthrough does
not work well at all except for when it's plugged into a usb port. reguardless
of how much i continually use it or how hot it gets the performance never degrades.

and to prove MY numbers
i just vaped the hell out of my 801 passthrough on my self powered usb
hub and heated it to the point where i almost couldn't touch it and it's
only reading 4.3 ohms. so do the math, simple ohms law......
5V / 4.3ohms = 1.16A
so to say a self powered hub or even a pc cannot supply more than 500mA
is just plain stupid on your part. to say seeing 500mA while vaping is doing
good is just ......ed. seeing 500mA is beyond the point where the light starts
flashing on an auto battery.

let's check the math again shall we ? this time with a manual battery.

if i'm getting 500mA on my 801 aty which reads 4.3ohms when hot then
guess what ? that means my battery is no longer rechargeable because
ohms law states my battery is now at 2.15V :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread