The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Care and Maintenance for your Silver Bullet

Discussion in 'iVapour UK' started by cddz, Sep 22, 2009.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. cddz

cddz Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline ECF Veteran

May 14, 2009
    Newark, Ohio
    Care and maintenance for your Silver Bullet

Main threads:

[​IMG]

For trouble free operation and smooth battery changes it is recommended to clean the main threads once a week with a soft cloth. Be sure to not leave anything behind. A small particle can cause big headaches when trying to change a battery.
    I strongly recommend an anti-oxidant/galling compound. I personally use NOALOX, a product sold in most hardware stores including LOWES. It is a product made by IDEAL and it can be found in the electrical isle. Only use it on the main threads to prevent galling/seizing. To apply it simply use a small dab on a q-tip and apply it to the male threads. Work the compound into the threads by screwing and unscrewing the top and bottom. After it is worked into the threads wipe off the excess with a soft cloth. There are several other conductive lubes/anti-oxidants that can be used, this one is the most economical at $2.98 for .5oz.

Atomizer Connection:

From time to time it will be necessary to clean this connection. Simply use a q-tip and alcohol, wipe out the excess and allow to dry. I recommend doing this once weekly.

Shine Upkeep:

I personally use Mothers Aluminum polish with cotton balls, this polish is available at most automotive stores. Follow the directions on the container, the more you do it the better you will get. Be sure to wear soft gloves, it will get annoying when you keep chasing those pesky smudges. It is also okay to use a buffing wheel. Use a loose sisal with green compound, if you do not know what that means, you should not be buffing your SB :)

Informational Links:

IDEAL INDUSTRIES, INC. - Noalox® Anti-Oxidant Compound
    Mothers® Mag & Aluminum Polish

2. jboze

jboze Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 30, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Is that a black SB in the background?!

3. Toby

Toby Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Dec 10, 2008
    York UK
  4. cddz

May 14, 2009
    Newark, Ohio
    Nope, it's swamp gas. Yah swamp gas :D

5. cddz

May 14, 2009
    Newark, Ohio
  6. truelove

truelove PV Casanova ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 2, 2009
    Bronx, NY
    Swamp gas my ..., I see something sexy.

7. ohiomelody

ohiomelody Moved On ECF Veteran

Jul 30, 2009
    Newark, Ohio
    Maybe it's just a shadow :)

8. truelove

truelove PV Casanova ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 2, 2009
    Bronx, NY
    Just a shadow of what is to come...teehee ;)?

9. frogbmth

frogbmth Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 8, 2009
    Dorset, UK
    Noalox

£20 delivered for 5x 0.5oz tubes - thats their minimum order

10. Toby

Dec 10, 2008
    York UK
    Yes Andy - and guess what the lead time for Noalox in the UK is? - 4 to 6 weeks!

The nearest (and cheapest) alternative I can find is -
    Park Tool Anti-Seize Compound
    but I am still waiting to see if Chad will OK it or not....

And wondering if a touch of standard grease or vaseline will suffice as the next best alternative....

11. frogbmth

frogbmth Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 8, 2009
    Dorset, UK
    There are Amazon.com sellers doing it, I might contact them and see about shipping here if all else fails.

How about that copper grease mechanics use on brake pads? Dumb idea?

12. notsmellyanymore

notsmellyanymore Full Member ECF Veteran

Oct 14, 2008
    Yorkshire UK
    What about WD40? Rubbed a touch around the thread on mine this afternoon and has made quite a difference.

13. Toby

Dec 10, 2008
    York UK
    I don't want to press the point too much, but I need to as I have been recently informed that aluminium on aluminium will eventually seize; so obviously it's very important we find the best product in the UK, at a reasonable price, to care for the threads....

14. jboze

Jun 30, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Make that available anywhere! Finding anything in Japan as a foreigner is a pain in the .... Make it something as incredibly technical as an anti seize compound for aluminum and you've really got a headache!

15. notsmellyanymore

notsmellyanymore Full Member ECF Veteran

Oct 14, 2008
    Yorkshire UK
  16. jboze

Jun 30, 2009
    Orange County, CA
  17. Toby

Dec 10, 2008
    York UK
    I have phoned Rocol tech department and they say that Rocol Foodlube Multi-Paste is suitable for aluminium.

Here is one link to buy -

Rocol Foodlube Multi-Paste 85Grm

And a pdf -
    http://www.rocol.com/lubricants/english/datasheets/technicalsheets/FOODLUBE%20MULTIPASTE%20&%20SPRAY%20%20%20TDS%20%20%2015750.pdf

Still awaiting advice/confirmation from Chad...

(Edit) - Sorry jboze - that probably doesn't exactly help you; but in this post I am trying to show a possible alternative, as most countries do not seem to have aluminium anti-seize compound as readily and freely available as in the US....

18. jboze

Jun 30, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Hehe, no problem Toby.

Gonna go ahead and try the spark plug anti-seize stuff out. My SB should arrive today (likely in the next couple hours) and I'll swing by the store to pick some up. It should be better than nothing. I'd hate to have this thing seize up on me right away. :(

I'll post a follow up in a few days/week to let people know how it's working for me.

19. cddz

May 14, 2009
    Newark, Ohio
    Sorry, I guess the server did not allow my PM to get through, after looking over that lube it will work just fine. The fact that it is food grade makes it a safe bet to use. It does not apear conductive but there is enough surface area on the threads to make good contact. Use it the same as you would the NOALOX, apply with a q-tip work it into the threads and wipe off excess. Apply as needed
    Chad

20. route

route Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 9, 2009
    the netherlands
    just found this treath didn't realise that toby has his one space and was chatting by altsmoke [sorry i'm just blond can't help it ]
    don't use vaseline !!!!!!!!!
    there is some soure stuf in vaseline that's not good for aluminum,
    if you have nothing else then try a waxine candle light and pollish the threat with it this wil help !!

sorry for my bad english, do hoop you understand