cddz

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Newark, Ohio
Care and maintenance for your Silver Bullet

Main threads:

cddz-albums-bs-picture2864-main-threads-copy.jpg

For trouble free operation and smooth battery changes it is recommended to clean the main threads once a week with a soft cloth. Be sure to not leave anything behind. A small particle can cause big headaches when trying to change a battery.
I strongly recommend an anti-oxidant/galling compound. I personally use NOALOX, a product sold in most hardware stores including LOWES. It is a product made by IDEAL and it can be found in the electrical isle. Only use it on the main threads to prevent galling/seizing. To apply it simply use a small dab on a q-tip and apply it to the male threads. Work the compound into the threads by screwing and unscrewing the top and bottom. After it is worked into the threads wipe off the excess with a soft cloth. There are several other conductive lubes/anti-oxidants that can be used, this one is the most economical at $2.98 for .5oz.

Atomizer Connection:

From time to time it will be necessary to clean this connection. Simply use a q-tip and alcohol, wipe out the excess and allow to dry. I recommend doing this once weekly.

Shine Upkeep:

I personally use Mothers Aluminum polish with cotton balls, this polish is available at most automotive stores. Follow the directions on the container, the more you do it the better you will get. Be sure to wear soft gloves, it will get annoying when you keep chasing those pesky smudges. It is also okay to use a buffing wheel. Use a loose sisal with green compound, if you do not know what that means, you should not be buffing your SB :)

Informational Links:

IDEAL INDUSTRIES, INC. - Noalox® Anti-Oxidant Compound
Mothers® Mag & Aluminum Polish

Last edited:

cddz

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Newark, Ohio

Toby

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2008
York UK
www.ivapour.co.uk
Yes Andy - and guess what the lead time for Noalox in the UK is? - 4 to 6 weeks!

The nearest (and cheapest) alternative I can find is -
Park Tool Anti-Seize Compound
but I am still waiting to see if Chad will OK it or not....

And wondering if a touch of standard grease or vaseline will suffice as the next best alternative....

notsmellyanymore

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2008
Yorkshire UK
Yes Andy - and guess what the lead time for Noalox in the UK is? - 4 to 6 weeks!

The nearest (and cheapest) alternative I can find is -
Park Tool Anti-Seize Compound
but I am still waiting to see if Chad will OK it or not....

And wondering if a touch of standard grease or vaseline will suffice as the next best alternative....

What about WD40? Rubbed a touch around the thread on mine this afternoon and has made quite a difference.

jboze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2009
Orange County, CA
I don't want to press the point too much, but I need to as I have been recently informed that aluminium on aluminium will eventually seize; so obviously it's very important we find the best product in the UK, at a reasonable price, to care for the threads....

Make that available anywhere! Finding anything in Japan as a foreigner is a pain in the .... Make it something as incredibly technical as an anti seize compound for aluminum and you've really got a headache!

Toby

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2008
York UK
www.ivapour.co.uk
I have phoned Rocol tech department and they say that Rocol Foodlube Multi-Paste is suitable for aluminium.

Here is one link to buy -
Rocol Foodlube Multi-Paste 85Grm

And a pdf -
http://www.rocol.com/lubricants/eng...FOODLUBE MULTIPASTE & SPRAY TDS 15750.pdf

Still awaiting advice/confirmation from Chad...

(Edit) - Sorry jboze - that probably doesn't exactly help you; but in this post I am trying to show a possible alternative, as most countries do not seem to have aluminium anti-seize compound as readily and freely available as in the US....

Last edited:

jboze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2009
Orange County, CA
(Edit) - Sorry jboze - that probably doesn't exactly help you; but in this post I am trying to show a possible alternative, as most countries do not seem to have aluminium anti-seize compound as readily and freely available as in the US....

Hehe, no problem Toby.

Gonna go ahead and try the spark plug anti-seize stuff out. My SB should arrive today (likely in the next couple hours) and I'll swing by the store to pick some up. It should be better than nothing. I'd hate to have this thing seize up on me right away. :(

I'll post a follow up in a few days/week to let people know how it's working for me.

cddz

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Newark, Ohio
I have phoned Rocol tech department and they say that Rocol Foodlube Multi-Paste is suitable for aluminium.

Here is one link to buy -
Rocol Foodlube Multi-Paste 85Grm

And a pdf -
http://www.rocol.com/lubricants/eng...FOODLUBE MULTIPASTE & SPRAY TDS 15750.pdf

Still awaiting advice/confirmation from Chad...

Sorry, I guess the server did not allow my PM to get through, after looking over that lube it will work just fine. The fact that it is food grade makes it a safe bet to use. It does not apear conductive but there is enough surface area on the threads to make good contact. Use it the same as you would the NOALOX, apply with a q-tip work it into the threads and wipe off excess. Apply as needed
Chad

route

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
the netherlands
just found this treath didn't realise that toby has his one space and was chatting by altsmoke [sorry i'm just blond can't help it ]
don't use vaseline !!!!!!!!!
there is some soure stuf in vaseline that's not good for aluminum,
if you have nothing else then try a waxine candle light and pollish the threat with it this wil help !!

sorry for my bad english, do hoop you understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread