• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Careful with that thing...TWSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemonCleaner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2010
Calgary, Alberta. Canada
So I see this video of some guy from ecf showing us all how to clean a stardust, so I thought I would. He takes the tank off by putting it on an ego battery and rocking it while pulling it. This is as far as I got when to my suprise, I had managed to rip my ego battery into three or four pieces. All it's guts came out like a teenage chick in a horror flick. The lesson? Don't do that. I became very angry at this point and smashed the stardust with a pair of pliers. All in all, not such a successful venture.

ChellyNelly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 26, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
So I see this video of some guy from ecf showing us all how to clean a stardust, so I thought I would. He takes the tank off by putting it on an ego battery and rocking it while pulling it. This is as far as I got when to my suprise, I had managed to rip my ego battery into three or four pieces. All it's guts came out like a teenage chick in a horror flick. The lesson? Don't do that. I became very angry at this point and smashed the stardust with a pair of pliers. All in all, not such a successful venture.

Yeah.... That happens quite easily with Egos. I've had especially bad luck with the 1100mah LCD ones doing it. My boyfriend had his in his front sweater pocket, took it out to find it in 2 pieces just like that with wires disconnected from the circuit board - great eh? Mine did the same thing as well but luckily no broken wires so I was able to put it back together fairly easily. Needless to say I am a lot more careful now.

Samyaza

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2012
London, ON
Yep, did that with a CE2 and an ego :(

I now use an old 510 cig look alike which can't pull apart like that. Also when trying to pull them off, make sure that you have everything horizontal - that works the best.

Oh and the new Stardusts cannot be pulled apart quite like that I don't think (the ones with the metal tip), I have tried it and didn't seem to be able to at all. I did see a video where a tool was used to pry it off, but I wasn't able to so have decided that Stardusts aren't as nice and easy to clean as I would like :(

encee_rz

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Should be noted too that he uses a version 1 stardust in that video(if we watched the same video), and in another video explains that you can't really do it that way in newer versions (I think the current version is 3? not sure, don't quote me)

To take apart later versions he actually uses a metal rod and pounds out the inner post.

CountSmackula

Genisis Junkie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2012
BFE, KY
You all were watching the old video. The recommendation now is to tape up the jaws of a pair of channel locks, remove the outer bottom ring by wiggling while clamped in the jaws, then screw the inner post onto a 510 connection and remove by gently rocking while tugging. IIRC, he also states that he's using an old, dead battery.

Samyaza

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2012
London, ON
You all were watching the old video. The recommendation now is to tape up the jaws of a pair of channel locks, remove the outer bottom ring by wiggling while clamped in the jaws, then screw the inner post onto a 510 connection and remove by gently rocking while tugging. IIRC, he also states that he's using an old, dead battery.

Yeah I now use an old 510 that was washed accidentally lol. And I still can't do it with the wrapped tool piece. Personally they are cheap enough and I only use them when I go out so if they die they can stay dead ^^

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
I can easily do this on my Precise with no worries.
Well maybe not the stardust... i dont have a 510 to ego adapter.

Oh the luxuries of a stainless steel 510 threaded top...
I can pull apart a CE2 in seconds.

Find yourself a long nut that has the same threading as a 510 and call it a day.
these are things you dont do on batteries that are still functional.
(i too have learned the hard way, R.I.P. eGo Passthrough)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread