Not open for further replies.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
In the land of no hills and red dirt
Carlos Juice Box CJB First Impressions Review

About me: Three month plus heavy vaper. Down to >1 analog per week. Have used std 510, dse 905, hv copper, hv xhaler, GGTS, mr puff and petercro mini juice box mk2. My experience with PV's so far is that I will initially love a unit, but later on find a flaw or shortcoming that will greatly diminish my love for it a month or so later. My love is intense, but fickle.

Disclaimer: I have no professional or financial relationship with Carlos, Porphy, or anyone else responsible for this mod. I am receiving no compensation of any kind for this review. I know of no personal relationship that would in any way bias my review or the opinions behind it.

After over two months of waiting, my custom made, plain jane (Black case, blue LED, no graphics) Carlos Juice Box arrived. Having kept up with the Juice Box phenomenon on ECF forums, I decided to order one; after asking Carlos three dozen questions and posting the same on the boards. Having further kept up with the issues on the boards concerning supply issues, communication, and supplier status, I stayed in communication with Carlos, Janice and Porphy, and-let's just say I was a total PITA. Carlos and Porphy both probably got drunk and wept with joy when they shipped my order; I'm grateful Carlos didn't prime my atty with arsenic. I haven't anticipated an object so much since I bought my first car.

Description: The Carlos Juice Box (CJB) is a handmade PV mod that uses a black project case containing a 3.7v 18650 battery and self contained juice bottle that feeds e-juice directly into a custom made atty. Juice is fed into the atty by squeezing on the enclosed bottle thorough a specially made hole in the case or by dripping it directly into the atty for a change of flavor. The device promises easy all day vaping, long battery life, long atty lifespan and a high intensity, flavorful, throat punching vape in an easy to transport package.

Opinions posted on the mod have been divisive: people either celebrate the device as the second coming of personal vaping or loudly complain and quickly sell their units. Many talk of a steep learning curve that has to be mastered to effectively use the device. Having used a roughly similar mod or two, I suspect this curve may be due to the atty having to be 'seasoned' or broken in, but more on this in a minute.

Received my CJB 3/27/2010. It has been used daily since I received it. So far, I have used it in with either a red Trustfire 18650 3000 mah battery and a new AW 'high drain' 18650 battery. The 18650 battery is the only standard configuration for the device. Other users have reported good results with two 3v cr123's for 6v vaping, but it is not recommended, Personally, I'm certainly not going to risk a custom device I've waited nine weeks for with high voltage vaping on an atomizer I can't replace myself.

So far, results are mixed. The boards are correct: this has the PhD of learning curves. Perhaps a more accurate description would be atty break in period. Like others, I have experienced the flooding/burnt atty problem others have reported: either the atty is flooded with no vape or has a harsh, dry taste with some glorious puffs of incredibly dense, flavorful vape in between. For those few puffs, this is an outright eight-inch caliber throat howitzer.

My solution so far is to keep the tiniest amount of normally unvapeable thick PG fluid in the bottle and alternate screwing the bottle in and out. When it starts to flood, I unscrew the bottle and vape until it starts to taste harsh. When it starts to flood with the bottle firmly attached, I unscrew it again. And repeat. Then repeat again. Thanks to a suggestion on the boards, I'm starting to keep the bottle unscrewed and drop at most two drops of vg liquid into the top of the atty.

The custom atty right now only needs a partial drop to fill a room with vape. Following a suggestion on the Juice Box Fans forum, I drained the tube after taking the bottle off, turned the tube upward, and exhaled into the mouthpiece while holding the button. The result was a constant stream of dense vape that didn't seem to ever quit, which is impressive in itself.

When trying to drain excess juice back into the bottle by exhaling on the mouthpiece and holding my finger on the hole in the side of the atty, after trying to vape, I almost burned my hand. This thing gets HOT. It will take repeated vapes and activation at temperatures that would fry any other mod out there. Say what you will about the mod as a whole, but this is one emmin' effin' tough little atty; I could believe reports that it will take months of repeated use without failure.

I like the button on this unit as well. It is essentially a simple spring design where pressing the button down forces a metal piece to come into contact with another metal piece to complete a circuit. Unlike other mods I have had, where I wonder how long the button will hold out when I'm pressing it, I have confidence that it will hold up to daily usage.

The feature of magnets holding the side of the box on is nice, but my box needs a little adjustment with a phillips screwdriver for everything to fit flush and tight. The two corners using magnets are higher than the other two, so the side is not flush and wobbles.

Overall, I'm satisfied if not impressed with the overall build quality and finish of the design. Yes, it is obviously a hand made box mod; don't expect it to have the fit and finish of a conventional aluminum and brass battery mod. But it has a maturity of design missing from the couple of proof of concept prototypes that I've tried. It's clear that carlos has been making these for a while now, and has had time to work some of the bugs out. It's also more attractive than I expected it to be.

That's it for now. The CJB has been relegated to armchair status while I put it through its paces; it will sit by my armchair where I will continue dripping a couple of drops at a time into the atty while an almost empty unscrewed bottle sits in it. It will sit there, waiting for my leisure hours, until it becomes a lot less labor intensive to consistently vape. The payoff of intense portable, one box fits all vaping promises to be worth the effort and wait; other users have reported 2 week to one month break in periods.

Don't expect to quickly get a juice box, fill a bottle halfway and take it on the town with you later the same day for easy vaping. But if you've got the patience to order a product, wait possibly two months or more for it to arrive, and then treat it as a project or part time job after that, the juice box MAY be for you.

That's it...for now. I'll continue to keep at it while harassing the old CJB hands and posting my progress on the forums. Expect to see a much more comprehensive review of all aspects of the CJB within the next month. Thanks for reading.

JDSupreme

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Good stuff Clyde. I'll be posting my first impressions Monday night. Its coming Monday. I just know it. Also coming Monday is the stuff I ordered Wednesday and Thursday, which I have tracked. Christmas in March, sweet. Time is crawling, screw Sundays. On the other hand, I still haven't heard back on any emails. Bless the forum.

Thank you very Much.
I am glad you wrote this.
& it is obvious that you have a open mind.

Mine should be here Monday & I will & Have plans on how to try & Break it in.

The CJB is A Fully Custom ATTY... & people keep treating it as a standard atty.
Which it is not. I think thats partially where the learning curve will be. How to get use to using a different type of atty. Try Teaching Old dogs new Tricks... LOL

Your review Will help many... & I think after your review some may regret Selling there CJB.

After all this drama Your holding in strong & doing great & Posting great info.
& It is long awaited for many to read it. Possibly post a link or 5 in the CJB Group to help the 1's who care about understanding.

Thank you again Clyde & your posts makes me happier to be on this forum.​

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
So far, CJB 321 has spent a day in the wild. Thanks to suggestions from a couple of old JB hands, I screwed an empty bottle in, and dripped in a PG/VG mixture directly into the atty as needed.

I noticed that it is harder to flood after doing this for a while. The window between flooded and dry, harsh, chemical vape had widened. I then noticed that some excess juice had collected on the bottom of the bottle, and that it has turned brown. Obviously, this is the fresh juice on top washing away carbonized crud off the atty into the bottle. I can now squeeze on the bottle a bit when the harsh taste is noticed without flooding the unit so easily.

I think this reinforces my earlier suspicion that the CJB does not have a learning curve, but rather an extended atty break in period. The drip until you drop method seems to be helping this process.

I'm not about to declare success and say that my atty is broken in just yet. I'll continue to drip for the rest of the day and evening and try to fill the bottle halfway tomorrow.

If the break in is completed by the end of this weekend, and the unit performs as expected, we just may have a winner.

rbonie

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Jackson,Ms (da DEEP Sout!)
carlos juice box cjb first impressions review

that's it...for now. I'll continue to keep at it while harassing the old cjb hands and posting my progress on the forums. Expect to see a much more comprehensive review of all aspects of the cjb within the next month. Thanks for reading.
uh pictures!!!!!:)

rbonie

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Jackson,Ms (da DEEP Sout!)
Y'all are too kind, thanks. Having decent luck dropping two drops of pg/vg mix into the unit with a almost empty bottle screwed in. Figuring the more I use it, the more it will break in.

And learning that the funky taste means that the atty is running dry.

Seriously. Thanks alot for your input. Wuz thinking I'd been had, again.
You've given an old guy hope:rolleyes:

Now if Porphy would just let the rest of us know when to expect the next batch out!!

Last edited:
its 89 bucks
about 3 months due to massive orders.
time designing & improving it.
still needs a bit of improvement. But im going to try & up some photo's of it.
Unless Clyde gets them up.
when it does not flood and is not low on juice IT Tastes great & vapes great.

It is not a normal atty. It is homemade & there is no comparing it to any other mod currently made. Very tough atty I might say.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Got halfway used to breaking in the atty using the drip til you drop method with some fairly promising results.

Got home from work with it, and it was hitting like a...words can't describe it. But now there is a crack in the epoxy underneath the atty, right where above where the bottle top is.

Then the crack widened, it leaks like a sieve, and won't vape at all. Got emails from carlos and janice pre crack suggesting I should send the unit back. Updated them with the crack problem, and waiting for a response.

Also noticed the hole in the box corner where the atty and piping projected was a bit too snug. Couldn't easily turn the atty/bottle assembly burn turning the mouthpiece as seen in the videos.

Hopefully this can and will be fixed. I was starting to REALLY enjoy vaping this sucker.

Im sorry Clyde... But u need to lay off the crack.. LOL.

im just having issues getting use to not flooding. LOL
and leakage out the spot where the wires come out.
Thinking of dripping on it for a while first.
But tastes dang good when not flooding it. Oh & Great Vapor.

Some of the tubing etc I think is a little large causing some of the issues.
But thats a guess.
will try to find a way to change some of it.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Suggest drip til you drop method. Drip two drops of juice when atty tastes dry/harsh. Keep puffing on it like a pipe and you'll see some vape during primer puffs. Keep puffing, and you'll get glorious vape for a bit before it becomes harsh again. Repeat.

The juice will trickle down into your bottle and turn brown, which means that the atty is curing/seasoning/breaking in. Keep doing this for a few days. Wouldn't suggest even trying to squeeze it in the meanwhile.

And if you do flood it, take the bottle off, hold the button down, and play fog machine. Once it really starts hitting, you'll be able to bottle up and drip again.

Good luck. I'd suggest breaking the atty in before even starting to learn how to tenderly squeeze it.

Oh well. <pulls ggts out of desk drawer after three days> <hits button> <instantly gets vape>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread