The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Carrying e-juice in checked luggage from Ireland to the States?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by jordan94, Jul 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. jordan94

jordan94 Full Member

Jul 13, 2016
    Hello all!

I'm new to this forum and in need of a little advice from you all. Basically, I am heading to the States from Ireland to study for 9 months, and I was wondering what the regulations on putting e-juice in your checked luggage are? I have travelled with my Eleaf iStick Mini twice out of Dublin airport in accordance to the standard regulations in place (juice must be in ziplock bag, no batteries in checked luggage, clearomizer dismantled from battery, etc) with no problems, and I always brought 1 30ml of juice in the clear ziplock bag. However, since I will be spending a considerable amount of time in the States, I am hoping to bring a supply of 30ml bottles of juice to last me from the end of August up until Christmas to save me having to purchase juice out there. My question is, therefore, is it okay to pack e-juice in your checked luggage? Or is putting any form of vaping product prohibited in checked luggage?

Just to make you aware I am flying from Dublin International to Chicago O'Hare (US pre-clearance at Dublin) and then a connecting flight to Milwaukee General Mitchell

I haven't found any answers specific to this so if any of you can shed light on this it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

2. ckquatt

ckquatt Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 8, 2013
    Milledgeville, GA
    Granted I didn't fly overseas but last time I flew, I put all my juice bottles in a ziploc bag (along with my vape tools, tweezers, cotton, snippers,wire, and battery charger) in my checked bag no problems.

3. psyc63

psyc63 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    NewYork
    I have never had a problem, I put them into a ziplock bag usually in my shaving kit and write ejuice on a piece of paper so if they look they know what it is.

4. jordan94

jordan94 Full Member

Jul 13, 2016
    Was this in your checked or carry on luggage? Thanks for the reply!

5. jordan94

jordan94 Full Member

Jul 13, 2016
    Thank you! So do you think I could just put my juice into my cosmetics bag or something inside my checked luggage? It's scary enough moving to a completely different part of the world on your own for the first time, never mind having to locate an e-cig shop in your new town to get your nicotine fix!

6. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Me? I'd double bag it. Just in case with pressure changes in flying they don't leak all over your clothes. Otherwise, batteries in your carry on (either in plastic boxes or silicone sleeves) and you're good to go. Enjoy your extended stay!

7. ckquatt

ckquatt Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 8, 2013
    Milledgeville, GA
    Yep! What Eskie said! You should be fine! Just make sure all your batteries are in your carry on. They don't want them in your checked luggage.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

8. jordan94

jordan94 Full Member

Jul 13, 2016
    Thanks guys, panic over! Yeah, wouldn't dream of putting my batteries in my checked luggage anyway due to the fire hazard etc. And Leskie thank you for the double bagging suggestion! Just need to tie myself over with juice until I can locate a good vape shop in Milwaukee! Just going to have a stab in the dark here and ask if any of you guys have ever been through US customs have you ever experienced any problems relating to e-cigs?

• Like Like x 1
  9. psyc63

psyc63 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    NewYork
    checked, i carry only 3 30ml bottles in carry on, usually put like 6 to 10 in checked

• Like Like x 1
  10. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Going through customs as a US citizen is a bit different, and never had an issue or even be stopped beyond "did you enjoy your trip?"

If the customs agent should decide to paw through your stuff, simply describe what it is and how it's used. One, it is legal and there are no restrictions (yet). Two, the agent will likely have no idea what you're talking about, so if you just say it's to stop smoking, and that'll end it with a "Really? I should tell my cousin about this".

I also wouldn't be surprised if there is someone from Wisconsin, if not Milwaukee, on the boards here who can point you towards some vape shops there.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ckone180

ckone180 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 22, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    My family my went to Ireland and back a few weeks ago. No problems whatsoever. We had about 8oz of eloquent in checked luggage and carried out mods and batteries in carry on. It was a breeze.

We flew into Shannon from NY and the same way back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  12. CrayCrayRay

CrayCrayRay Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 14, 2016
    I havent had a problem on my two flights with eliquid. Both times I checked them (double bagged)

13. Steamix

Steamix Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 21, 2013
    Vapistan
    Might pay a visit to bargainvapour - they're based in Ireland :)

14. BrotherBob

BrotherBob ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
  15. HauntedMyst

HauntedMyst Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 18, 2013
    Chicago
    Jordan, how much is 100ml of juice in Ireland? Unless you are locked into one particular juice, you shouldn't have much trouble getting juice in Milwaukee.

16. jordan94

jordan94 Full Member

Jul 13, 2016
    I live in Northern Ireland so a cheaper 3oz bottle of Tobacco 24 from KIX or Ziggicig will set me back about 10GBP. Some of the premium juices like Suicide Bunny etc will easily be double that price or more! Basically I'm not locked into a juice, I was so addicted to cigarettes when I smoked properly so I like to vape strictly tobacco as an 'authentic' substitute for the cigarettes I used to smoke. I've tried many other flavours but I'm not that into them :) basically as long as my juice is Tobacco 24 and relatively cheap I'm happy! Surely that won't be hard to find in Milwaukee?

17. HauntedMyst

HauntedMyst Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 18, 2013
    Chicago
    I doubt it, plus there is lots of good mail order. You should be able to get some things you like without having to pack 5 months worth.

18. Robzilla

Robzilla New Member

Jul 15, 2016
    I just returned to India (live/work here) from the states, flying through LA, Japan, Thailand, and India. Did not have any problems with a bunch of juice in checked baggage. Carry on - of course follow the 3-3-3 rule. Do NOT check batteries, they will grab those if they see them. And of course, your tank will leak when vaping during takeoff or landing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.