Status
Not open for further replies.

Antebellum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2009
Madison, GA
Hi, Folks,

I had previously tried the cart mod from this thread

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tips-tricks/11421-cart-mod-better-refilling.html

for my 801. While it seemed to work, since I don't usually drip-fill my carts, I soon stopped using it.

With my somewhat hotter Prodigy, I've been having a problem with the carts. The Prodigy dispatches fluid faster than an 801 cartridge wicks! (I like a LOT of vapor, too.)

Long and short, I dug out one of my old cut-off Q-tip shafts and tried it in a new cart. Wow! I'm been using the same cart for over an hour now, and the flavor and vapor are still great. I have pulled it out several times to look at it, and the top is still wet. Before, I was getting less than a dozen puffs before running the cart dry. Then I'd get the syringe and put about a tenth of a CC in, and the cart would be filled. This wasn't cutting it.

The cart mod lets the air flow into the bottom of the cart as the fluid is being depleted, and far more of the juice actually makes it into contact with the atty's bridge. I vape holding the Prodigy down at about a 45-degree angle, and the cart mod is working perfectly.

Yeah, yeah, I know I could be dripping instead, but I've invested a lot of effort into re-using my old carts. I even have a bunch preloaded and saved with various flavors and nic levels. It's just so easy to pop on a new cart and keep going. :D

Zofryer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2009
Near DC
zofryer.com
Yeah, yeah, I know I could be dripping instead, but I've invested a lot of effort into re-using my old carts. I even have a bunch preloaded and saved with various flavors and nic levels. It's just so easy to pop on a new cart and keep going. :D

One of the features of, and reasons to use the 801 style atty's is the enormous cart capacity. Dripping is great for quickly trying new flavors, or those "desert vaps" that aren't a mainstay, but a cart means not having to care for an hour once you've got something you love. It's good to know the straw mod works well with the Prodigy.

gunz4hire

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2009
Wakefield, NH
I had a lot of issues with the carts on the prodigy. I tried the cart mod and it seemed to pull the stuffing out and the little straw in no time. I found out through trollmonger to cut just a little bit off of the bottom of the cart and the stuffing and that worked really well. Hope that helps some.

Gunz

Enfield

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
SE Michigan, USA
With the straw cart mod, one does need to shorten the stuffing a little bit to make room for an air space at the bottom of the cart for the beveled edge of the straw to suck air from. I like using the straw mod on my 801 carts, and am glad to see a report of good results with straw-modded 801 carts on the Prodigy.

I am looking forward to (understatement of the decade) trying out the straw-modded 801 carts on my own Prodigy. It should be arriving today, methinks!

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
i tried using the straw mod a week or so ago, but wasn't having much luck. i've never had much luck with it, sadly. i was having problems getting the cart to even attach to the atty, like, the straw kept moving and contacting the bridge and wouldn't fit. i'm a newb with that mod though.

i've been following the thread about using teabags as filler, the latest "mod" is Lipton Pyramid bags, but i've yet to try them. soon though :)

and yes, dripping is great for Prodigy, but just a little...i dunno, cumbersome at times. sitting at home no biggie, but driving or sitting at a pub, just can be a hassle. i want the best of both worlds ;p

ruuku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2009
Honolulu, Hawaii
Fitz- if the straw is hitting the atomizer wick bridge, then you need to shorten the straw length. As Enfield said try "beveling" (cutting the straw at an angle... try about 60 degrees) the straw on both ends, with the atomizer end like this:
(atomizer) (Straw)
\/ /|

Forgive my poor ascii art.
I would also place the straw on the edge of the cart, as this will minimize the straw contacting the atomizer bridge.
If you have concerns about melting the straw then check out your local hobby/craft store. They should have thin aluminum tubing (probably 1mm inner diameter, 2mm outer diameter). It isn't as effective as a stir stick, but should help nonetheless.

Last edited:

motorcity57

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2009
I'M RIGHT HERE
my 901 cart holds 12 drops of nic when i fill it. takes me a couple hours to vape it dry. i don't mind filling every couple hours. of course it might be that i am useing 48 mg juice, i dont have to hit as often. i am sure i will have to drop to 36 or lower once my prodigy arrives, but still filling a 901 cart takes less than 30 seconds, less time than opening a pack of analogs and getting out my lighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread