CART MOD - From PTvapers Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjloupe

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2011
Louisiana
I have been playing with this for 10 minutes now. I noticed that even when the cart if full, you turn it upside down, and the juice will quickly flow JUST to the point of leaking, then stop. If you turn it back upright, the juice flows quickly to the other side of the cat. I've been turning it back and fourth and I am amazed at how quickly the juice flows to the very end, but does not leak out. I think I finally found a winner!

tranced

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2010
Grand Blanc, Michigan
For appearance sake I've given up using my 5v box mod and have been trying to get used to a riva kit. I've been dripping most exclusively but have switched back to carts recently and have not been happy with the results but can't find my stash of fluval foam. I was thinking if only we could get some kind of metal mesh that was safe.
Great idea guys - looking forward to trying this!

unkn0wnz

Verified Member
Mar 24, 2011
New York
For appearance sake I've given up using my 5v box mod and have been trying to get used to a riva kit. I've been dripping most exclusively but have switched back to carts recently and have not been happy with the results but can't find my stash of fluval foam. I was thinking if only we could get some kind of metal mesh that was safe.
Great idea guys - looking forward to trying this!

I am also looking for some type of metal mesh....I have not found a good mod for the 801 yet....still hunting for that right mod.....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA

pack21

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
PTG
Hi, :D

In PTvapers community we have too, this steel mod, that works very well.

CART MOD PLUS

img20110328180101.jpg

img20110328180118k.jpg

img20110328181152.jpg

img20110328181337.jpg

img20110328181730o.jpg

img20110328182127.jpg

img20110328182950.jpg

img20110328183037.jpg

img20110328183247.jpg

Last edited:

kornesque

Mar 27, 2011
Portsmouth VA, USA
Alright, I haven't yet emptied this sucker, but the flavor and consistency are wonderful. It gurgles slightly more than other mods, but I've yet to get a drop or indication of proper flooding. Well done. It took a while to find a more "modern" mod that might keep up with the higher performance components we use now (the traffic on the "classic" series mod threads has tapered off alot recently) and knew there had to be a solution closer to Holy Grail status. This may be it.

My one concern, unfounded as it may be, is the possibility of oxidization/corrosion due to the pH of the liquid, the presence of electrical current and dissimilar metals in contact. As an electronics technician, I see lots of this in a maritime environment but with different metals and liquids. Nickel and aluminum...does anyone know of any possibly adverse reactions between the two in this environment? Or have any members who have been using this mod against any particular atty observed any unusual results or performance after a while? Just one more detail to square away in an apparently grade-A mod.

Thanks to the folks who keep innovating and making progress!

anouk

Feb 20, 2010
West Coast USA
Hi:

Psyched to try this on my eGO tomorrow--tried dripping and using the regular carts and neither really works well for this novice. But two questions.

1. How long will this cart typically last? Since it is made of metal, I would expect that it would last longer than, say, the pyramid mod or typical cart. Can the OP give an estimate of how long he thinks this would last (assuming using same flavors or don't care, etc.)?

2. Maybe I'm not getting this right, but it seems like the issue of safety for the "broom" aluminum style one discussed predominantly was resolved as being safe to be used on the first page of the thread, but I'm confused by a subsequent statement:
I had aluminium poisoning about 15 years ago from using tin foil to smoke ....... Nobody told me you had to burn the foil first.

You'll be really surprised how much smoke comes off it

I know you're not actually burning the foil so you should be ok fume wise but seriously burn the foil first

So I'm not clear on whether it is safe to use aluminum or not now.

If anyone can answer one or both of these questions would be fabulous! Thx and will post my own experience if relevant.

kornesque

Mar 27, 2011
Portsmouth VA, USA
I think the issue of using foil to smoke anything is the direct application of flame, which produces a temperature far higher than any atomizer would, releasing whatever ickies. As a previous member stated, the temperatures developed by our application won't cause an adverse reaction...foil is user for cooking purposes as well, and those mostly exceed the high temp of an atty.

My $.02 on the longevity of the filler material would be darn near as long as you wanted. I've had to refluff the wisk every now and then to keep atty contact, and I'm sure after a while it will become difficult to untangle them. Otherwise, unless the liquid causes eventual corrosion, I can't imagine it would fail any quicker than other material.

Shantia

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
I gave up trying to get this to work with a mega cart, but i cant get it to work on the small cartridges either. When i push it into the cart it takes so much pressure it crushes the 'broom' . Sure would like to know what i'm doing wrong :(. I bought a splatter screen today so i'm gonna try that one out, fingers crossed!

pack21

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
PTG
I gave up trying to get this to work with a mega cart, but i cant get it to work on the small cartridges either. When i push it into the cart it takes so much pressure it crushes the 'broom' . Sure would like to know what i'm doing wrong :(. I bought a splatter screen today so i'm gonna try that one out, fingers crossed!

Try to do a smaller broom.

losttoy

Apr 19, 2010
I seem to remember aluminium causes mental problems later in life and don't forget that your body doesn't get rid of metals very easily at all... Like years

I only smoked without burning the foil a handful of times too which was enough to land me in a&e on oxygen and a nebuliser as my O2 levels went down to 60%

Smoking on foil is done with as little heat as you can apply with to me suggests that a red atty coil is actually much hotter. I'm not out to piss on anyones chips. Its a great idea as all mods are but there are genuine health risks and anyone that does this without burning off aluminium residues first is mental.

I think its irresponsible to give people the impression its safe using comparisons such as cooking with foil is safe. you dont run a hose into the oven and toke on it. Admittedly the foil shouldn't end up touching the coil but someone's gonna end up doing it.

So to put it across again... Aluminium foil will give off traces of aluminium when heated to a certain degree. It will stay in your body for a very long time and if it builds up enough will severely affect your brain function.

If you heat up the foil enough first you burn off the aluminium that will turn into fumes rendering it much much safer.

If you don't believe me burn some foil and see for yourself

DataPhreak

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2009
A, A
Alright, I'm going to throw my hat into this a little bit. Aluminum was proported in the 60's and 70's to cause alzheimers, but no direct association was ever made. It is, however toxic, as mentioned before. You can find more information about the toxicity here: Aluminum Toxicity

So why is it used so often in food storage if it is toxic you ask? Well, when exposed to oxygen, a very thin, but resolute layer of aluminum oxide forms, which is non-toxic, and it forms very fast. Aluminum itself does not contain lead. They are two seperate elements. However, many aluminum products do have lead in them. Keep in mind though that the bridge in 510s is aluminum mesh. Any problems you would expect from this mod could also be expected simply from the atomizer.

The concern with electrolysis and the decomposition of the metals is possible. The filament used for atomization can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. I don't believe that this mod adds any additional risk, and there have been no reports of metals being found in vapor. Further I don't believe that they would remain in the vapor, nor do I think that they would be able to escape the electromagnetism created by the electrical current in the atomizer. I think the biggest factor in the marine environment with regards to electrolysis is the fact that you are in salt water, and that water is grounded. The boat itself becomes a big battery, which is the reason the metal decomposes. It is generating its own electricity from the combination of ferrous and non-ferrous metals in an acidic solution. In the instance of an electronic cigarette it is not grounded, and you already have a battery. =P

There are acids found in the juices, usually from the flavoring. Totallywicked shares a lab report they had done on their juice, which lists 2Methyl butyric acid in amounts of less than 1 percent. There are other chemicals there as well, so it is hard to judge for certain what the PH balace of juice is, and I suspect that it will be different from juice to juice. First you will need to look up the PH level of PG or VG, as these are the main ingredients.

Please note that I am not really a scientist, or a doctor. This is all purely speculation. Do your own research and don't get hurt.

alxrbk

Dec 17, 2009
Uk
Shantia, this might seem presumptuous or obvious, but have you taken into account the taper inside the cart? I found that I had to squeeze the aluminium into an oval shape to get past the initial 'lip' on the inside of the cartand then fluff out the aluminium strands to fill the more rounded upper area of the cart. You might be deforming the aluminium by rolling it into the correct size for the upper level of the cart and then attempting to fit this into the cart without modifying it enough to pass the lip. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread