ZW99GT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2012
DFW
I've been going back and forth between

SMoktech Dual Coil, 45mm Long, two holes, 1.5ohm
Ikenvape 510 Fusion Punch Single Coil of various ohm's

Neither are perfect, and I can hardly ever get over 7-8 watts without burning them. If they weren't so easy to pop in a tank and go I would never use a carto again. But they are too easy and every once in awhile I'll stumble across that perfect carto that will go like hell for a week straight with no fuss.

steeledragon78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
Owasso, OK, USA
ive tried the smoke dual coils with both the huge slot and the small hole, could not for the life of me get either to work with my juices. then i got some boge LRs and punched them myself. after a little fidling with the size i love them. rarely flood on me unless i do something stupid to it, only burnt them when i swapped out my dripper and forgot to drop the voltage. and they can handle thicker juices with proper slotting.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
I'm personally not overly fond of dual coil cartomizers. I don't see any huge benefits with them and you really have to keep them wet.

They do make super-big cartos but you really need a lot of liquid in them, and just getting them started to where you get a good vape takes awhile.

I would just go for XL 2.0 or even 1.7 cartomizers. I've used most brands and I don't see a huge difference between boge and other brands.

BardicDruid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Central Texas
If you want to learn about cartos, read through a couple of Baditude's blog articles first:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-5-baditudes-cartomizer-tank-setup-guide.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/4830-8-cartotank-help-noob.html
Then you could try these out: 2.0 ohm low resistance cartomizers
And if you have some flavors you like better you can try these: Dual Coil Cartomizer Tank with these: Pre Punched Replacement tank cartomizers
If you do try the tank, start with the 3.5ml and the pre punched cartos with 2 holes and 2 ohm, you can adjust for preference from there.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm really looking for cartos to use separate from a tank. I want to be able to fill a couple with different juices and swap them out as I feel the need. I am looking around for a carto tank, as well, but right now I'm interested in just the cartos. Sorry I didn't make myself clear with the OP.:oops:

For a solo carto, I recommend the Ikenvape Fusions (801 thread). You'll need their 510-801 stealth adaptor for use with a 510 connector PV.

Never been much of a fan of dual coil cartos. After a while they get a burnt taste to them. I suspect that unless you regularly top them off, the upper coil starts to burn the filler as the juice in the carto gets low. At one time I did enjoy the Smoktech Mega cartos that are dual coil and 1.5 ohm and hold over 4 ml of juice, but that was months ago and I've since gravitated to prefer a cooler vape, which these Mega's produce a warmer vape.

Boge cartos have a more densely packed filler material which can make filling a pain. Smoktech's is less dense, easier to fill.

Standard vs XL depends upon the juice capacity you desire. More important when using in a tank.

For my cartotanks, I prefer the Ikenvape 510 Fusions or Platinums. Better flavor and last longer than Boge or Smoktech.

Last edited:

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
Trying to decide what cartos to purchase and the choices are, to say the least, confusing. Single coil? Dual coil? Short? Long? Mega?? I'm using an MVP V2, sometimes some eGo Twists and Spinners. Boge? SmokTec? Fusion? Other? Any suggestions for this relative noobie?

If you are confused I'm really confused. I've been using the Evod's and ProTank Mini 2's on my Joye C-Twists and now on my 2 new VV-3's. When I started reading about the carto's all of sudden total confusion. Length, color,capacity, ohm's, and punch holes. This subject about carto's is getting very scientific for this old man. Need I forget brand names. The more I read the more confusing it gets.

And what in the world is a carto tank?

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I've used dual coils both in and out of tanks and have never had a problem. You just have to keep them moist. I always get 3-hole punched cartos for tanks and then add a slot with a Dremel and it makes it easy to keep them moist. With non-tank DCC's, you just have to keep them moist and you will have no issue. They do provide a warmer vape which I prefer.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If you are confused I'm really confused... When I started reading about the carto's all of sudden total confusion. Length, color,capacity, ohm's, and punch holes. This subject about carto's is getting very scientific for this old man. Need I forget brand names. The more I read the more confusing it gets.

And what in the world is a carto tank?

Take a quick look at this picture dictionary I made of the more common juice attachments. Pay particular attention to the topics of cartomizers and cartotanks. That should help you get an understanding of what they are and how they work.

Is it a carto, a tank, or what?

Tank-Structure.jpg cartotank.jpg Cartomizer Anatomy.jpg
click to enlarge images

Last edited:

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
I love my Boge cartos, either unpunched or laser-slotted in an IBTanked carto tank. The slot works well with the thicker juices I vape. I started with the Boges when I started with eGos, and have no problem filling them. Takes about a minute.

A regular length (35 mm), 19 mm wide tank (≈2.5 ml) looks/works well on my 81 mm x 20 mm wide Super-T Simplicity 18500. With a short drip tip, this tank just fits on one side of an almost matchbox size plastic two-battery 18490/18500 case with an AW IMR 18490 in the other side. With this compact rig and two plastic case backups, I'm set for a ±15-hour day.

Another perspective on the 801

Tips: Get 5% off at RTDvapor with code ECF5 and free shipping at SureVapes.com with a ≥ $10 order.​

Last edited:

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
Take a quick look at this picture dictionary I made of the more common juice attachments. Pay particular attention to the topics of cartomizers and cartotanks. That should help you get an understanding of what they are and how they work.

Is it a carto, a tank, or what?

View attachment 260857 View attachment 260858 View attachment 260859
click to enlarge images

Thank you this sounds a bit easier. If I'm getting this right I can put a carto inside a carto tank and fill the tank with ejuice, but I will need holes in the carto to allow the juice to soak into the carto. Am I right so far? By doing this is there any advantage over using a Clearo such as I'm using now like the Evod and Mini Protank 2?

I'm looking for something which will last most of the day. I notice the cartos are 510 and 810? 510 would go my iTaste VV3, but not sure about a 810.

What makes a carto taste better then lets say a BCC such as a Protank?

Thank you

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Thank you this sounds a bit easier. If I'm getting this right I can put a carto inside a carto tank and fill the tank with ejuice, but I will need holes in the carto to allow the juice to soak into the carto. Am I right so far? By doing this is there any advantage over using a Clearo such as I'm using now like the Evod and Mini Protank 2?

I'm looking for something which will last most of the day. I notice the cartos are 510 and 810? 510 would go my iTaste VV3, but not sure about a 810.

What makes a carto taste better then lets say a BCC such as a Protank?

Thank you
Actually, the correct threadings are 510 & 808. There's also the rarely used 801 threading.

The difference in the vape between a clearo and cartomizer is the wick systems they use. Clearos use just string wicks - not a lot of surface area to absorb the juice so they are not real efficient in moving juice to the coil.

A cartomizer uses a big wad of polyfill as a wick, and it totally surrounds the heating coil to ensure a more efficient movement of juice.

disected-cartomizer -1.jpg dissected cartomizer showing polyfiller wick
click

Last edited:

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
Actually, the correct threadings are 510 & 808. There's also the rarely used 801 threading.

The difference in the vape between a clearo and cartomizer is the wick systems they use. Clearos use just string wicks - not a lot of surface area to absorb the juice so they are not real efficient in moving juice to the coil.

A cartomizer uses a big wad of polyfill as a wick, and it totally surrounds the heating coil to ensure a more effecient movement of juice.

View attachment 261001 dissected cartomizer showing polyfiller wick
click

Would you suggest I go to a B&M store and take a closer look at the cartos and tanks for them? Ask some questions and bring in my Innokin V-3? I have several very close to me.

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
I'm really looking for cartos to use separate from a tank. I want to be able to fill a couple with different juices and swap them out as I feel the need. I am looking around for a carto tank, as well, but right now I'm interested in just the cartos. Sorry I didn't make myself clear with the OP.:oops:

So far ive been very pleased with the Smoktek 1.7ohm single coil un punched for stand alone use. This is only after a few days so my opinion may change. So far i love the flavor and you are correct, fill a few, replace the condoms and they take up very little space in a travel kit. They take a little while to fill correctly but after that its about as simple as it gets.

Im currently using them on my MVP V2 set at 6.5watts. I have not gotten a single dry or burnt hit but the vapor is nice and warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread