Carto Cutter Punch (wrench-style)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jslay00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I happen to have two wrench-style wire stripper/cutters which (using the rear blade, closest to the handle, of the largest diameter stripping socket) will conveniently and quickly punch two holes in a cartomizer to prepare them for use in a tank. Both work. Neither works perfectly.

They both look, pretty much, like this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31DB7M88W6L.jpg

The smaller of my tools makes holes that are slightly too small and also creates a 3rd and 4th indentation that don't actually go all the way through the metal carto wall.

My larger tool deforms the carto too much before it finally punches through.

What I'm doing is starting the holes with my small wire stripper and widening them (just slightly) with the larger one. It takes a total of about 30 seconds if I'm being EXTRA careful. No big deal, certainly easier than a hammer & nail and infinitely preferable to a Dremel or a power drill since there are no metal shavings. ...problem is, it's not perfect.

Somewhere out there is the perfect tool for this. If not, someone should build it. I could just drop a carto into the perfect tool, line up the punch or blade to the right spot and squeeze. Once. The perfect tool might only punch one hole. If I wanted more, I could just flip the carto over and squeeze again.

If anyone has found a specific tool that does this for them perfectly and consistently, please post the specific make/model of that tool. I'd love to buy one.

Last edited:

vikki59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA the North Bay!
This Self-piercing saddle valve works perfect...been using it and for under $7.00, it's the best thing ever for punching cartos!!:)

Where do you get it for under $7- ??
Google Images shows it for 10.99 + shipping. And since I'm going to be doing tanks now, would really like to get one, thx :)

Jslay00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Jslay00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The saddle valve works like a charm. Home Depot has them for about $6.50.

I bought one at a local True Value. Cost me $11.00 because they only had a kit, including 25 feet of 1/4" poly tubing. Still, it works, it's simple and I don't have to hammer anything (including my digits).

Call me lazy, though, I still really want a wrench. Maybe I'll "ruin" my small wire stripper by filing down the extra points.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I bought one at a local True Value. Cost me $11.00 because they only had a kit, including 25 feet of 1/4" poly tubing. Still, it works, it's simple and I don't have to hammer anything (including my digits).

Call me lazy, though, I still really want a wrench. Maybe I'll "ruin" my small wire stripper by filing down the extra points.

I'm wishing I knew someone who was a welder. Seems like you could weld a short spike on a pair of pliers, and modify the other side with some sort of curved surface to hold a carto in the right position. Then you'd have a perfect punch plier.

Jslay00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
...recently bought a Vapor-Age Jig & Punch:

Jig & Punch for Cartos

Now, this is rather expensive (@$22.00). It is also an excellent product. I MUCH prefer it over my saddle-valve.

Don't expect the cool-looking stick-pin "chuck" in the picture. It comes with a heavy-gauge steel wire with one end bent, kinda like a chunk of a large, extra-firm paper-clip. Any similarly slim household item (including a paper-clip or a stick-pin) will do.

The punch, itself, is stellar. Heavy steel with about a 1.5" knurled "grip" in the middle, it has a point that's sharp enough to pierce cartomizer walls but tapers enough to catch itself on the jig before punching through the airway or touching coils.

The jig seems to be aluminum. Very durable and light. There are only 2 preset "chuck" positions for hole-punching but the jig fits firmly enough around any length standard, opaque cartomizer (clear plastic dual coils, "clearomizers" and "fluxomizers" will not insert) that one can "freestyle" the hole into any position.

I use a "Liquinator" a "J-Tank" and a couple of self-made syringe-tanks. I've successfully punched "Resurrectors", Boge LR cartos, regular and XL dual-coils and a couple of "Fusion"s. Different positions for the holes, sometimes with, sometimes without "chucking".

...until the perfect wrench comes along, I'm using this thing.

RIMP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
This Self-piercing saddle valve works perfect...been using it and for under $7.00, it's the best thing ever for punching cartos!!:)

I tried using the saddle valve and the 1st hole punches perfectly........when I turn it to punch a 2nd hole the point slips and goes down the side of the carto....don't know what I'm doing wrong:(

tyleris12

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2010
Michigan
I tried using the saddle valve and the 1st hole punches perfectly........when I turn it to punch a 2nd hole the point slips and goes down the side of the carto....don't know what I'm doing wrong:(

Make sure the carto is cenetred right under the hole and that the screws are tight enough to hold it in place. I've had it happen to me too RIMP, but you'll get it. :)

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes

Probably what tyleris12 said, but you might also want to check the size of your punch- they sell in a few diff diameters. A buncha ECF folk mighta beat you to the store and took all the good ones,lol.

John R. L.

ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2011
    Milwakee
    Make sure the carto is cenetred right under the hole and that the screws are tight enough to hold it in place. I've had it happen to me too RIMP, but you'll get it. :)

just wanna say ...your avatar is great !!!!!!!!..........the only thing I found kinda crappy about the saddle valve is that you can not see right where you are putting the holes with a little practice I got it right where I want them....( Hint !! I took a used up carto and used that to practice on )

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread