Carto tank Flooding issue, how to resolve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frantic9k

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
Cary, North Carolina, USA
I tried searching for this on the forums and couldn't find any thing on it so decided I would start a new thread. If there is one I missed please feel free to post the link here.

Ok I have a Volcano Tube tank and I am using a Lavatube V2. I just replaced the Carto (3.0 ohms) in the tube tank and during priming it looks like silly me flooded it. I'm currently at work so I need to find a method that will work with out too much hassle. Please keep in mind I am still new to all this, so feel free to talk to me like I'm a dummy LOL. If you know of a good method that I will have to do at home that is fine too. I just want to find the best way to prevent this carto from being wasted.

Thanks in Advance!

ratchet62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2013
USA
Place paper towel over the thread connector end of the carto. Turn the tank upside down so the liquid is not covering the holes in the carto sidewall. Blow through the driptip end to clear the flooding.

Don't do this with the tank in the normal position, or you will force more juice into the carto.

If it continues to flood, slide the carto down a little and use the base rubber seal to partially block the cart holes.

You may need to punch smaller or fewer holes next time.

Ratchet62 from my Nexus 7

ratchet62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2013
USA
You should be able to just gently blow the excess juice out into a tissue and vape away, assuming everything is as simple as it sounds.

Yes, but you must do this with the tank upside down.

If you blow through it with the tank in the normal position, then juice will be covering the holes in the carto. When you blow, venturi effect will actually suck more juice from the tank into the carto, flooding it more.

When upside down, this will not happen, and excess juice in the carto filler can be blown through the holes into the tank, as well as clearing the actual flood from the coil and central vapor tube.

Frantic9k

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
Place paper towel over the thread connector end of the carto. Turn the tank upside down so the liquid is not covering the holes in the carto sidewall. Blow through the driptip end to clear the flooding.

Don't do this with the tank in the normal position, or you will force more juice into the carto.

If it continues to flood, slide the carto down a little and use the base rubber seal to partially block the cart holes.

You may need to punch smaller or fewer holes next time.

Ratchet62 from my Nexus 7

This fixed my problem! Thanks for the help.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Late to the show, but glad to see Ratchet could help you out, who gave great advice to salvage a flooded carto. :thumb:

Not sure what could have flooded the carto in the first place. It could be the method that you use to pre-fill or "prime" the carto before you install it in the tank. If you attempt to fill a cartotank with the top cap off, placing the cap on the tank will result in too much pressure inside the tank forcing too much juice into the carto; always fill a cartotank with both end caps on the tube.

Another possibility could be your vaping technique. Cartotanks require a gentle, long draw (3 - 6 seconds long). Think of sucking on a straw in a thick milkshake. Pulling too hard can force too much liquid into the carto, resulting in flooding.

There is a minor difference in carto brands. Boges tend to have a denser filler material which can make them slower to fill and wick, but not as likely to flood. Smoktech's tend to have a looser filler material which makes them easier to fill and wick, but more likely to flood.

I've written a cartotank setup tutorial in this blog. It has step-by-step instructions and also a couple of demo videos.

E-Cigarette Forum - Baditude - Blogs

SeaTownLassy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Seattle, WA USA
When I first started vaping with tanks, I blew out a quarter of a tank because I didn't think of turning it upside down. It peeved me off at first because I thought there was something wrong with my tank, lol. A local vape shop guy also told me about turning it upside down to blow it out, and it works. You can almost "feel" what kind of draw you can do with different tanks, and that prevents drawing too hard.

Frantic9k

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
Not sure what could have flooded the carto in the first place. It could be the method that you use to pre-fill or "prime" the carto before you install it in the tank. If you attempt to fill a cartotank with the top cap off, placing the cap on the tank will result in too much pressure inside the tank forcing too much juice into the carto; always fill a cartotank with both end caps on the tube.

Well I know exactly why and it is similar to what you stated in the quoted paragraph. I didnt take the cap off but it started to pop off, and I acted before I thought and pushed it down without pulling the carto back down to prevent flooding.

It was a Face palm moment for me LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread