Carto tanks.....where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor7617

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Humble, Texas, United States
To preface, I've gone from eGo to a VV/VW mod and am currently using ProTanks. I'm having NO issues to date but wondering what all the hub-bub is about carto-tanks. So, I'd like to at least give one a try to see for myself which one I prefer.

Read about Phiniac and IBTanked....both seem a bit expensive for a starter but appear to have the best following. So, is there a "cheaper" (I use that term loosely) starting point for a test unit?

Is there a way to store a carto? Meaning....with the BCC ProTank, I can switch flavors relatively quickly by rinsing out the coil and cleaning the tank. From what I've read, this isn't possible (or as easy) with a carto. So...again, can I remove a carto (and store it), clean tank and fill with another flavor using a diff carto? If storing is an alternative - how?

Best place to buy carto's? Based off reading...I'd assume I'd probably start out with single coil somewhere in the 2ohm range +/-.

How do darker / sweeter flavors work in carto's vs BCC's? Note, I generally vape 60-70pg fluids, ranging in almost anything except tobacco (I quit analogs for a reason).

Anything else I should know...helpful tips?

Thanks in advance for any/all comments.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
As long as you don't use flavors that will degrade the plastic in the cheap tanks you should be OK accept for one possible issue, the 0-rings or seals. I have used my Phiniac for over a year with the original seals and they have never leaked. My concern would be that a cheap plastic tank also has cheap 0-rings. But maybe someone will come along and make a recommendation for one with good seals.

The biggest plus with carto-tanks is the no maintenance factor and the consistency and warmer vapor in comparison to clearos. You will get a DOA carto from time to time. I use IKenvape and Smoketech cartos (XL size) in a 5ml Phiniac tank. They last 10 - 14 days on average before needing to replace them.

Note: I would not hassle with removing a carto from a tank, cleaning the tank and then putting in a different carto with a different flavor. I would just have a different tank-carto for each flavor. Much easier and much less hassle.

Last edited:

LDS714

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Nashville, TN, USA
Noob here, so take this for what it's worth...

I have a DCT cartotank, and really like it. Inexpensive, and the cartos are fairly cheap also.

I like the idea of changing out the carto and cleaning the tank to switch flavors, gonna have to try that.

As far as storing the ones that already have juice in them, why not just keep the 'condoms' that come on them and slip them back on?

BardicDruid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Central Texas
I've been using the Smok Tech tanks for over a year now, I have several of both sizes. SmokTek.com and HoosiersEcigs.com is were I got them and get the replacement cartos from. What I use is a sharp 18ga, 1.5" needle and 5ml syringe from SmokTek.com. I get about 2.5ml of eliquid and push the needle all the way to the bottom of the carto, then I pull it out slowly while depressing the plunger and pulling it out. Then I go a 180 degrees from the first spot and repeat, then blow out the carto from the batt end and fill the tank, have never had dry hits. Also you'll want to have the tank on the carto when doing this because liquid will come out of the holes.

It sounds complicated, but after doing it a couple of times it gets real easy and my cartos usually last 2 to 3 weeks.

jb80

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2012
Alicante
Well I'm in a situation where for the last year I have used the first tank I got and I have absolutely no complaints or see a need to change things up apart from an upgrade to a newer tank, possibly a larger one but I'd have no hesitations in getting the same tank again even if it is probably one of the cheaper models.
That said I have just ordered a Vivi Nova tank, I started off with the idea of buying a new tank and cartos and ended up with the Nova. No reason, just trying something new I guess and maybe a similar reason to why you're considering a carto tank now. It's definitely not out of a need for a better vape.

Still I digress...

My first kit was a Volcano Inferno starter kit and in that was the 7mm Volcano tube tank which is the one I'm still using right now and I got it about a week or two after I registered to the forum so it's about a year old.
Tube Tank
Whether rightly or wrongly I use mainly 1.5 dual coils(XL always if you can) with it but what ever carto you have will do and I have upgraded to a Vision Spinner using the one remaing Inferno battery as a backup. The other good thing is I have just come to the realisation that I own a Dremel and can slot my cartos now instead of paying extra for a prepunched one.

If you switch flavours a lot then I agree maybe build up a number of tanks but I don't bother to be honest, then again I don't change it up much and like similar flavours so the only time the flavour became an issue was when I put a horrible cheap menthol in.
Storing isn't really an issue as I don't switch it up but when I use a carto without the tank I just replace the rubber caps and put it out of reach somewhere and then make sure I prime it before using again.

I also concur with the O-ring thing and it's the reason I will buy a new tank, don't get me wrong the rings haven't failed and it has never leaked but I can tell they are changing shape and getting in the way when pushing a carto through. I could just get new rings though and not have to replace the tank.

As for darker flavours?
I think, but it may not be true, is there is no difference in the vape although they may clog up the carto a day or two quicker however I base this on perception and nothing documented.

All in all I recommend you at least try a tank/carto setup.
I'm perfectly content being blissfully unaware of other options with my Spinner and tank, who knows I might be a convert when the nova arrives though.

edit: Oh yeah, and Boges are the way to go for cartos.

Last edited:

slowmovingtrain

Verified Member
Aug 4, 2011
SF, CA
ibtanked come with extra o-rings...

get the long skinny drip tip tool/thing to preserve the life of the o-rings

when im not dripping, so really only when I'm driving or out and about, i only use ibtanked xls with 2ohm smoktech xl cartos

as far as changing flavors often goes... i agree that this is a slight annoyance. if you dont want to buy extra tanks (which is what I do), you'll have to finish the tank (or drain it with a syringe), clean/dry the tank and either pop a new carto in or pop the old one in and vape until the old flavor is gone.

but since i tend to like pretty strong juice, i always pop a new carto in (though i usually save the old one)

fwiw, i also own two novas and like them fine, i use them on my spinner when i'm going somewhere where im not sure about reactions to my provari w 22mm ibtank :)

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
Great Question w/some great replies! The suggestion offered by Cookster is also the first Tank reviewed in TANKS EVERYWHERE! - YouTube A little video called "Tanks Everywhere".
IMHO when I choose a Tank over other set ups its because I dont want to be fussing with anything for a while(At least one long busy day). I dont want to worry about whether or not I have a little 5-10ml juice back up or a pass through charge chord; xtra batt...so on. this is a different headspace than home on a couch sampling flavors.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Cartotanks have been my primary juice attachemnt for nearly a year and a half. I find them to be trouble-free, consistant, portable and pocketable, and durable. In my opinion they produce better flavor and vapor than a clearo. They take a few minutes to set up, but after that they are maintanance free.

I've written several blog articles on cartos and cartotanks, which should include just about anything you'll need to know. There are nine articles on two pages.

E-Cigarette Forum - Baditude - Blogs

The My Vapor Store PolyPro Cartotank kit is a tank kit that I frequently recommend to beginners, as well as the pyrex IBTanked.

Last edited:

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
To preface, I've gone from eGo to a VV/VW mod and am currently using ProTanks. I'm having NO issues to date but wondering what all the hub-bub is about carto-tanks. So, I'd like to at least give one a try to see for myself which one I prefer.

Read about Phiniac and IBTanked....both seem a bit expensive for a starter but appear to have the best following. So, is there a "cheaper" (I use that term loosely) starting point for a test unit?

Is there a way to store a carto? Meaning....with the BCC ProTank, I can switch flavors relatively quickly by rinsing out the coil and cleaning the tank. From what I've read, this isn't possible (or as easy) with a carto. So...again, can I remove a carto (and store it), clean tank and fill with another flavor using a diff carto? If storing is an alternative - how?

Best place to buy carto's? Based off reading...I'd assume I'd probably start out with single coil somewhere in the 2ohm range +/-.

How do darker / sweeter flavors work in carto's vs BCC's? Note, I generally vape 60-70pg fluids, ranging in almost anything except tobacco (I quit analogs for a reason).

Anything else I should know...helpful tips?

Thanks in advance for any/all comments.

I was using protanks as well, picked up a cheapie tank to try it out, and it really is a big difference in vape quality and consistency, at least in my experience. A little more work when you first prime the carto and set up the tank, but not much, and once it's going I think it's a much better vape. I've since purchased 4 more tanks and don't use my clearos at all any more, in fact just PIF'd most of them to a friend who's just starting out vaping. I got my new tanks from Valley View Vapes, great prices for starter tanks, particularly the economy ones. Some folks don't seem to like the grommet style, whether for looks or function I'm not sure, but I like that they aren't the least bit slidey like my Smoketech tank, and I have had no leaks whatsoever. I dig the side fill knob on them as well. If you don't like the grommet thing they have the cap style for slightly more. At any rate, a good, cheap tank to start with and see if you like it. Polypro, too, so you shouldn't have to worry about tank cracking juices. I vape mostly 50/50 juice, some dark, and all have worked just fine so far with pre-punched cartos.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Valley View Vapes also has inexpensive carto tanks. I've been using one of their economy tanks for over a year with no leaking problems. I do, however, recommend people spend a it more to get the kind with the caps. The economy tanks have grommets and can be a bit of a pain to change cartos. VVV also sells a tanks tool for switching cartos. Regarding the ones from My Vapor Store, I got the same tanks from another vendor. They work fine, but look kind of cheap.

Premium Tanks

For a demonstration of how to do a "Hot Swap," which is switching cartos without emptying the tank, click on the link in my signature.

cocacola31173

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
United States
This is a great starter pack, $22, tank and 5 pack of cartos. The tank is polypropylene, so you can use any juice in it.

510 Pro DCTank Combo

These are good. I have several just make sure to get the 6 ml cause the 2.5 goes empty quick.

What I did before I built up my carto tank collection I would cut one of the plastic tips that covered it in half and slip it down over the hole on the bottom. I put another one on top with the white mouthpiece that came with it. I would put it on the bottle of juice with a rubber band til I came back to it.

I now have about 5 of them so I just use each one for its own flavor of juice, If you are careful and don't let the cart go dry it will easily last through a 30 ml bottle of juice. When I start a new flavor I just toss out the old and use a new one.

Thepinfamily

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Virginia
+1 for carto tanks

I started using clearos. They worked fine and got me off analogs but were a bit fiddly. At the time it was all CE4's, no protanks then. I was happy but new to vaping and wanted to try everything. I bought a cheap dual coil tank and carto to try them out, I've never looked back. For me its the most trouble free way to get a great vape. I started with the dual coil setup because I read everywhere they produced more flavor, more vapor and more heat. I found this to be true but it came at a cost. The cost of lost battery life and using more juice than necessary. Just to compare for myself I tried single coil cartos. I found they still produce a great vape. The difference is slight and not worth the costs that come along with them. In fact if you talk to experienced carto users many of them have come to the same conclusion. A LR boge carto at 10-12 watts is a fantastic vape. Take the dual coil hype with a grain of salt and try single coils out for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread