Cartomizer & AVE Juice Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MexiPina

Aug 25, 2011
Sacramento, CA
I've been vaping for roughly 5 weeks now and have been obsessively reading up on ECF for the past few days.. which has caused me to have slight buyers remorse.. blah! Only because I wish I had gotten the RIVA 510 for my first pv instead of the Joye 510 manual. :facepalm: Oh well! I'm enjoying my 510 so far, but the RIVA starter kit is so affordable I might just have to grab one anyway!

I want to try cartomizers but don't necessarily want to invest in another pv at the moment - instead, I would like to spend that moola on tasting some of those infamous AVE juices.. :p like Boba's, Gorilla juice, and Hype (at the very least!). So, I was hoping to pick up some BOGE cartos to try as well.

Here are my questions - (finally!)

1. Can I use standard resistance cartos on my stock 510 batteries?

I know that I cannot use LR cartos with stock batts.. Are standard resistance cartos the same as 3ohm cartos? How do the cartos perform with stock 510 batteries?

2. Is the vapor really that much warmer? How much warmer?

Is the TH much more pronounced? Warm vapor doesn't sound good to me for whatever reason, I have always really enjoyed the "coolness" of the vapor when I exhale.. So warmer vapor doesn't sound appealing, but I could be wrong since I've never actually tried it. I also don't want/like too much TH - just a moderately satisfying amount.

3. What kind of juice is best in cartos?

I've seen people use a number of combinations.. what about AVE juices? So far, I have only tried vg juices and I like vg - I want to try a PG/VG blend but haven't yet - I will be ordering some from AVE to try. I've tried a couple Dekang flavors and a few from CigNot's BASIC line (Ahneeda Fruit, On Top, Cherry Cola, Jimmy Puffitt).

4. What nic level should I order from AVE? How is flavor/TH/vapor for 6mg vs 12mg AVE juices?

Sometimes I get a strong peppery taste/tingle in my mouth and on my tongue if I vape certain juices after eating. If I wait a while, the feeling and taste eventually go away and my vapes taste normal again. I'm guessing the pepper tingle is from my nic level - currently 12mg. I want to lower my nic level but do not want to completely lose my TH. I do want to to keep some lower nic level juices around for when I feel like chain vaping - too much 12mg makes me dizzy - but I'm not sure about such low nic levels yet. Most juice reviews I find are for 12-24mg nic levels.

I've been reading ECF all day and I think my neurons are too jumbled to fire correctly anymore. :confused: Also not sure if I did this post right.. I'm not an avid poster, kind of a lurker at the moment. :blush: Thank you - in advance - for your help!

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
WELCOME TO THE ECF! Now for your questions

1. Basically. Standard resistance cartos are rated 2.8-3 ohms so you definitely won't have a problem with them. The standard cartos that come with 510 and 808 kits are the same in terms of ohms. As for you using a cig style pv. They've work pretty well and you'll be fairly satisfied with it.

2. Since your using a SR carto with a small 510 batt than your gonna be getting a slightly warm vape. Also, you won't have to worry about to much TH with that as well. Although, that will also highly depend on how much nic and % of PG that is in the juice.

3. Generally thinner juices that are light in color. VG from AVE works great in cartos since they are one of the thinnest VG juices out there. But high VG juices do shorten the overall life of a carto.

4. If 12mg is making you dizzy after your vaping session. Than yes, you should definitely reduce your nice level to 6mg. You might wanna give their 10PG/90PG mixes a try. They offer sample bottles as well which will make it easier for you to find something that will work for you.

Swigger14

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2011
Boston
Hey Sappho,

Welcome to the forums! I'm going on about 18 days, and have a Riva kit and then bought a Joye 510 battery for something more portable.

1)As already answered, you are fine with the 3.0 (often labeled) cartos on anything. I have Boge cartos - I keep both LR and 3.0.

2) I don't quite have enough experience for this, but I seem to get a better vape with the LRs on my Riva 510.

3) I've used everything from all PG to mostly VG, and they've worked fine. Lighter juices wick better, though. No experience with AVE, yet.

4) I think you will work this out, but I'd recommend buying a few different strengths. 12 is my sweet spot for casual, not quite chain vaping. I have some 16/18 for when cravings are stronger, or for when I'm out and may only be able to steal a puff or two here and there. For example, I carry an 18 carto when I'm drinking, to avoid cracking for an analog(hasn't been too hard actually).

As for regretting getting the Joye instead of the Riva, why not just pick up an extra Riva battery. No need to get the whole kit. Your Joye charger will charge a Riva, just slower and you already have backup batteries. I can tell you that I bought the Joye batteries to have something smaller, but I'm very rarely using them as of now - the Riva is just a better vape.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
1. I use the 3 ohm Boge cartos on both manual 510's and Riva 510. The current Riva 510 kits from Liberty-Flights.com are real 3.7v devices. The slim 510 (as well as Ego and older or other manufacturer Rivas) is more like 3.4v. So my Riva gets more heat out of the 3 ohm cartos but I enjoy them on my slim 510 too where they are just slightly warm.

2. Just try a pack of 3 ohm cartos and see how you like them on both Riva and 510. They are warm enough for me on Riva. I know I could get more TH out of my juice with LR cartos but I like being able to move my cartos between the slim 510 and the Riva so I use the 3 ohm ones. BTW 2.5ohm ones do exist which could also be used on both Riva and slim 510, but they are hard to find and would use the charge up fast then the 3 ohm ones.

3. I use thin juices (PG w/ 20% or less VG and I can usually get 10 days use or more out of a Boge. It also helps that I avoid liquids that drop flavoring sediment which clogs a carto). I don't like screwing with thick juices in cartos. The thin juices I use soak in quickly and work well. I have no experience with using VG juices in cartos (except for one 20PG/80VG juice I bought by mistake and struggled to get the carto to soak it in - it vaped real nice but I am an impatient person. When I put juice in I want it to soak in without needing to coax it.

4. I was actually disappointed in 6mg Boba's Bounty vs the 12mg. The flavor seemed lacking in 6mg. VG does dull flavor and I know one flavor component of Boba's is integral with the nicotine (they told me that is why they can't offer 0mg of their tobacco juices). But I loved the 12mg when I tried it (back when i vaped 12mg). Not so thrilled with 6mg. So I think for the tobaccos, try one 12mg. 6mg should be fine for the sweet ones. But I am no AVE expert. I rarely vape an AVE juice and only by dripping.

Last edited:

MexiPina

Aug 25, 2011
Sacramento, CA
As for regretting getting the Joye instead of the Riva, why not just pick up an extra Riva battery. No need to get the whole kit.

Thanks for the tip Swigger.. but the cost of one RIVA batt is practically half the cost of the starter kit, which comes with two batteries. But that's probably just another excuse for me to get a new pv. :p

I was actually disappointed in 6mg Boba's Bounty vs the 12mg. The flavor seemed lacking in 6mg. VG does dull flavor and I know one flavor component of Boba's is integral with the nicotine

Thanks for the tip dormouse! This is exactly the info I was looking for! I'll probably try Boba's Bounty/Gorilla Juice in 12 mg and Hype and Pineapple Pulp in 6mg.

I like being able to move my cartos between the slim 510 and the Riva so I use the 3 ohm ones.

This sounds like a good idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread