Cartomizer burns

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Lee

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2013
FLA
So I picked up some XL cartomizers for my wife's cig-a-like battery. I decided to try them on one of my eGo batteries, just for S & G's. They are Kanger 510 XL 1.8 Ohm as a reference point. Throat hit and flavor were ok, but the clearomizers perform better. Anyway, whenever i take more than 2 or 3 long drags in a row, the vapor coming out gets really hot, like almost painful. I've tried a couple different ones, and even on the smaller cig-a-like battery they get warm.

I know it is most likely because I am hitting them too hard and fast. My wife does not have the same problem, as she hits it much more gingerly than I. They were filled, set for about an hour, checked, topped off and set again.

Reason I ask this is I have been curious about carto tanks. Do they perform the same way? Can they not keep up with chain vaping? Are they cooler than standard cartos since they are surrounded by eliquid?

Daryl Glen

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2013
Titusville, FL, USA
www.youtube.com
Have you tried a cartomizer tank setup before? If not, try an Artemas locking carto tank. I know that hoosierecig sells them for about $11.00. My wife and I are in love with them right now. DiscountVapers.com_Artemas_Tank_Gun_Metal_2__30546.1352939206.1280.1280.jpg

Daryl Glen

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2013
Titusville, FL, USA
www.youtube.com
Not with these! At least so far for my wife and me. The reason I suggested this one, is because it locks, and you can't accidentally detach the tank, spilling your juice. Watch a You Tube video on a review for it. Just type Artemas Tank Review, or UDCT tank review in You Tube. There are a lot of good reviews out there, and you can see exactly how it works.

Recon Number 54

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
McKinney, TX
I know it is most likely because I am hitting them too hard and fast. My wife does not have the same problem, as she hits it much more gingerly than I. They were filled, set for about an hour, checked, topped off and set again.

Reason I ask this is I have been curious about carto tanks. Do they perform the same way? Can they not keep up with chain vaping? Are they cooler than standard cartos since they are surrounded by eliquid?
Exact inverse in my household. Being a former cigar smoker, I hit carto-tanks "lightly" but my wife draws from them hard and straight into her lungs.

The risk (or potential risk) of hard-hitting a carto-tank is that the significant air-pressure difference can result in the carto drawing a LOT of liquid through the hole/punch. My wife is flooding her cartos, which are currently 2 hole. We're about to try her with a tank using single hole cartos to see if that reduces her tendency to flood the cartos with her hard draw.

Just personal experience here, but something to be on the lookout for.

cdsaint66

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2012
Goodfield, IL
Lee,
A carto tank to me often vapes better than a carto by itself. It seems like having the liquid reservoir surrounding the cartomizer helps keep the catromizer cool during those periods of intense chain vaping. Of course, I don't know anyone who would chain vape like that ;) but that is what I would guess. If everything is set up and feeding properly a carto tank is fantastic for most juices. I'm sure Baditude will be along shortly, pay attention to any info he has. The man knows carto tanks!

Last edited:

GraCnT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Hi! I think that the kanger cartos are the coil across the bottom kind...I think because of this and having to punch holes and all they may not be as good for tanks.... I hope someone can chime in who knows for sure?
I tried them out and they didn't work for me. They leaked and gurgled and it was a mess! So not enjoyable!
I use carto tanks all the time I love them. Regular smoke tech, boge f16's, AGR like they recommended above are good because it comes with both size tubes and now my favorite the pyrex. I get mine at valley view Vapes and ib tanked.
I myself prefer Boge cartos either pre punched or i punch myself. Many swear by ikenvapes cartos and i still have to try some. I hear they last alot longer.... Just make sure they are wet by priming them first... Fill and you're good to go. :)
To find out anything carto tank related please check out member Baditude's blogs.... They are ALL very informative and have helped me a lot along my way.
I wish you the best of luck!!
Vape happy! :0)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
So I picked up some XL cartomizers for my wife's cig-a-like battery. I decided to try them on one of my eGo batteries, just for S & G's. They are Kanger 510 XL 1.8 Ohm as a reference point. Throat hit and flavor were ok, but the clearomizers perform better. Anyway, whenever i take more than 2 or 3 long drags in a row, the vapor coming out gets really hot, like almost painful. I've tried a couple different ones, and even on the smaller cig-a-like battery they get warm.

What I see as the problem is the cartomizers you have are low resistance (lower ohms) which provide a warm vape. A standard or higher resistance (> 2.0 ohm) will provide a cooler vape. I personally can not vape a low resistance attachment, they are too warm and harsh for me.

A regulated battery that uses variable voltage (ego Twist/Spinner or a variable voltage mod) should use a resistance between 2.5 - 3.0 ohms for the widest range of voltages.

The following chart is often used for new vapors in understanding what resistance attachments to use for the voltage range that their battery device uses. It is meant as a general guideline.

The proper draw technique for a cartomizer or a cartotank is one that is long and gentle, not shorter or harder. You have to allow time for the juice in the tank to make its way into the cartomizer, or else you will burn the polyfiller in the carto resulting in burnt or dry hits. Imagine sucking on a straw in a thick milkshake. Sometimes it can be adviseable to do "primer puffs", pulling without power on, much like how an analog pipe smoker primes his pipe.

___________________________________​

Cartotanks have been my primary juice attachment for over 1.5 years. I find they provide better flavor, are consistant and dependable, and once set up properly are maintance free. My favorite cartotanks are the IBTanked Pyrex Cartotanks. I use standard resistance Ikenvape cartomizers.

Cartotank Help for a Noob

Baditude's Cartotank Tutorial

List of Vendors That Sell Pre-Punched Cartomizers for Tanks

IBTanked pyrex cartotank on a Provari

Last edited:

vicflo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2009
Virginia
Using a standalone carto is not the same nor anything similar to using an actual carto tank...

Hole size and count will depend on your vaping habits. if you vape like you are trying to suck a bowling ball through a straw it will flood regardless of how small the hole is. I personally chain vape and take relatively average to big hits.

Any juice above ~70%vg may be too thick for most prepunched cartos.

The 1 hole ones work fine for me and I use 70vg/30h20. My favorite tank is the UDCT that Daryl Glen linked.

_Lee

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2013
FLA
Thank you all for the help, pointers and most importantly patience. I'm still the noob and trying to absorb as much info as I can. I want vaping to work and get as much out of it as I can. Funds are limited until after Christmas, so all my purchases have to be a home run and cheap. Another reason for my thread in the variable voltage area... ;) I need a better setup to get me through til January.

_Lee

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2013
FLA
So I tried the XL LR cartons on my wife's 510 cig a like battery and got zero burn at all. Maybe my 3.7 egos are too much for it?
Regardless, I am looking at a carto tank for my ego batts.
  • I don't want anything over 2ml, as I want a finished look.
  • I would like to use boge LR XL or 1.8ohm XL and slot myself. This way my wife can use them on her thin battery and I can cartotank them as well.
  • I did not want to use the smoktech ones because of the flange on the bottom.
  • I did like the ego-x tank, but hate the duckbill.
  • I would rather use my own Drip tip.
  • I would also like it to be locking.

Does this exist?

i did look at the Boge F15, but comments indicate it does not lock. (??)
http://www.vaporbeast.com/Boge-Skinny-F15-PrePunched-Carto-Tank-2-4ohm-2-5mL-p/62-0134-013.htm

Last edited:

Recon Number 54

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
McKinney, TX
So I tried the XL LR cartons on my wife's 510 cig a like battery and got zero burn at all. Maybe my 3.7 egos are too much for it?
Regardless, I am looking at a carto tank for my ego batts.
  • I don't want anything over 2ml, as I want a finished look.
  • I would like to use boge LR XL or 1.8ohm XL and slot myself. This way my wife can use them on her thin battery and I can cartotank them as well.
  • I did not want to use the smoktech ones because of the flange on the bottom.
  • I did like the ego-x tank, but hate the duckbill.
  • I would rather use my own Drip tip.
  • I would also like it to be locking.

Does this exist?

i did look at the Boge F15, but comments indicate it does not lock. (??)
http://www.vaporbeast.com/Boge-Skinny-F15-PrePunched-Carto-Tank-2-4ohm-2-5mL-p/62-0134-013.htm
I think that you can find some that fit your main requirements (2ml, slim profile, etc.) but most of the locking tanks that I have seen are a wider format.

The SmokTek Artemis Slim 510 is locking, but has a flanged based so the carto is not only vertically locked, but also locked from spinning.

Artemas-slim-DCT__31065.1369185831.386.513.jpg

Boge does offer flanged versions (F-series) of their XL cartos however.

Recon Number 54

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
McKinney, TX
Thanks for the info. That's a nice looking tank!

Will the flanged cartos work fine on a cig a like battery as well?

I want to be able to share cartos with my wife's little cig a like batteries. I'll punch or slot them myself for a tank; no biggie
Since the collar (with flange or not) is for making a seal to the bottom of a tank, as long as the threads match your wife's cigalike and she doesn't "accidentally" get one of your slotted ones :p I think that they should work fine. But the collar may look a little weird.

Be aware however. A length, amount of fill, and particular coil resistance that "works best" in your tank and power unit may not be "optimally" perform with her cigalike battery.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread