The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Cartomizers, punched or unpunched, question

Discussion in 'Mom and Pop Vapor Shop' started by suzyslegs, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. suzyslegs

suzyslegs Full Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Sarasota, Florida
    Whats the diff between a 1.7, and 2.0 cartomizer and a 3.0 cartomizer? Also, how do they relate to whether you have a box mod (single batt) or a variable mod ( 2batts) or my 900 mah and 650 mah batts?

2. pwyll

pwyll Vaping Master ECF Veteran

The numbers refer to the ohms of resistance. 1.7 ohms is less than 2 ohms which is less than 3 ohms. The lower the resistance, the more electricity flows and therefor the hotter the coil gets. The hotter the coil is the warmer the vape and the more vapor there is.

They have no "relation" to the number of batteries in a mod, what matters is the voltage. Most of your single-battery mods will be "3.7" volts (though there are 4.8 volt batteries) while your variable voltage mods will be whatever you set them to. VV mods will very often detect resistance 1.7 ohm cartos as a short and cut off, though that is being addressed by most vv mod makers. You can also use two batteries for 6 volt vaping, it is not "variable" but the batteries will still fire the 1.7 ohm cartos.

The Milli-amp Hours (mah) is, very simply and not entirely accurately, a comparison of power available. The higher the mah the more power the battery has to give. A 650 mah battery will not be able to power a 1.7 ohm carto very well or for very long. And putting that much of a strain on it will likely kill the battery very quickly. A 900 mah battery should be able to push the carto, but will still need to be recharged relatively quickly. That's why most people that use attys/cartos under 2 ohms also use mods that take batteries larger than the 14500s :)

More information and better explanations would be available in the New Members Forum and/or Ask The Veterans threads.

:)

3. P0P

P0P Supplier Associate ECF Veteran

Nov 23, 2011
    C'Ville Virginia
    Thank you pwyll you articulated that much better then i would have. I appreciate you helping suzy:):p

4. pwyll

I tried. Battery questions are much easier, they can be answered with simple facts. Atty/carto questions are rough, though, because the simple facts don't seem to cover everyone's experience. For instance, a 1.7 ohm carto on a battery putting out 3.7 volts generates 8 watts of power at the coil. A 3.1 ohm carto on a battery putting out 5 volts generates exactly the same wattage, so it should be "exactly the same vape." But it doesn't seem to be because there are huge arguments over which is better :blink:

I dunno any of that, all I have are "low resistance" attys and cartos, so even my 5 and 6 volt vaping is done on the same stuff as my 3.7 volt vaping. That's why I almost didn't answer and let someone else handle it--but I figured this time would be the one time no one else would answer so the least I could do was throw out some stuff for others to build on...

5. thehangdude

thehangdude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 17, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    I (briefly) had a 5 volt mod. I loved it with a 3.0 ohm Boge! It was way better than 1.7 ohm on a 3.7 volt. I think part of it is some 3.7 volt devices can't handle the amps. P0P's box mod seems to do much better than my RIVA and even my kGo.

Any plans for a five volt box mod, P0P? And how is the VV doing pwyll?

6. pwyll

I put my DCC's on 5 volts and it seems a bit warmer and a bit stronger flavour--but it is still so close to the same cartos on 3.7 volts that I can't imagine 3 ohms on 5 volts being as good as 1.7 ohms at 3.7 volts. That's why it's such a complicated issue. Heck, I vape the DCC's at 6 volts and find it wonderful, so I can't imagine what advantage the higher resistance has when vaping the "high voltage."

Someday I'll actually get some standard resistance cartos to try at the higher voltages to see how I perceive it--but not for a while. Between a couple of sales and a trade, I've got enough cartos to last me a year, even with having three or four in rotation at a time on various mods... :lol:

If you're talking about Pop's VV, it vapes excellent--much better than I expected using 14500's. Will prolly use it a lot once I take care of the button issue. :)

7. suzyslegs

suzyslegs Full Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Sarasota, Florida
    Thank you very much pwyll. Your answer helped me with my immediate needs for the answer. I am enjoying the vv box I have but would like to know what I'm doing, and you've got me started with some basic understanding so I know what to shop for.
    Thanks again for your time!

8. pwyll

No problem, glad I could help out a little :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.