CASAA New York State SALES BAN Call to Action!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
New York State Senator Kemp Hannon has proposed Bill S07635 (Link: S7635-2011 - NY Senate Open Legislation - Prohibits the sale or offering for sale of electronic cigarettes - New York State Senate).

This bill would:
If enacted, prohibit all sales of electronic cigarettes. It amends New York Public Health Law, §1399-11, enacted in August 2000, which prohibited cigarette sellers and common carriers from shipping cigarettes directly to consumers.

The bill was introduced in the Health Committee and may be referred to the Rules Committee which meets daily. Thus it could be sent to the full Senate at any time. So it is urgent that messages be sent to members of the Rules Committee immediately.

Read More:
CASAA: New York State Call to Action

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
Here's my e-mail send to every single one if them! May send it again tomorrow! :

I'm delighted to support a ban on minors obtaining anything electronic cigarette related. I do strongly and vehemently oppose S07635 desire to eradicate all electronic cigarette sales. Please do not hastefully rush to a decision that would prevent adults from living better lives. Society needs harm-reduction choices. To completely ban the choice of harm reduction without any consideration of the rights of adults you are sending a loud message to people: Keep smoking. We want those death taxes. Is that really the message you want to send? You would prefer people die slow painful deaths? Have you yourself not experienced any hurt because of a loved one who smoked? If you could would you not prevent that if you had the power to do so? You have the power now in this very moment to help save lives from slow torturous deaths. Please do not support S07635.

Some may be wary of electronic cigarettes. The name is terrible. The word "cigarette" automatically strikes negativity into your mind simply by human psychology. I know they have saved my life. They saved my mother's quality of life, she smoked for 40 years couldn't breathe many nights. Now she sleeps peacefully for the first time in over 20 years. Please do not be scared of something you may not completely understand. I ask you to learn about how this invention is really helping people before you rush to create penalties on what you may not yet fully understand. I know I would still be smoking, hurting myself, waking up sick every single day if it was not for this invention. It has truly saved my quality of life. I was only 22 waking up sick, gurgling, gasping for air unable to take that deep breath many take for granted.

Further cigarette smoking is the number one cause of house-fire related deaths! In a state like New York and of course New York City preventing fires particularly in close quarter apartment complexes is important. Electronic cigarettes help to lower the rates of fire caused by cigarettes as there is no combustion involved in their process. Please try to envision the bigger picture. This invention truly helps society in so many ways. From saving lives, to reducing government Medi-Care costs/insurance costs, improving the environment and helps to make businesses more money as non-smoking employees are more productive as they have more stamina to do demanding jobs.

You don't think a tobacco smoker who switches to an electronic version has more stamina? Well when I smoked I couldn't run a quarter of mile. Ha. I was terrible in that athletic department I will admit. Now about 9 months later I'm pushing myself to be able to run 3 miles non stop. For a person who never thought they were a runner it's a victorious accomplishment.

In closing, please reconsider what you may have heard about electronic cigarettes. Many claims are simply false altogether about them. Many studies are showing electronic cigarettes pose very little risk in comparison to actually smoking. The nicotine level "carcinogens" are about equal of nicotine patches and gum sold in stores. Please do not support this measure. Think of your loved ones and friends who smoke, they deserve a choice as an adult to reach for a harm-reduction method when the patches and gum has failed them in their attempts to quit.

For more information on the facts surrounding the issues on electronic cigarettes please visit : CASAA.org

Sincerely & Truly,

BOOM.

:) I know I'm not here as much as of late but when I see "CASAA: CALL TO ACTION" pop up in the right corner I want to try to do anything I can to help the greater good.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
I spoke to Senator Kemp Hannon's staff attorney Allison Kane kane@nysenate.gov (518-455-2200) about S 7635 several hours ago.

Based upon our conversation, it appears that Senator Hannon is trying to convince the Senate Rules Cmte to move S 7635 forward (before the legislature adjourns next week).

I think its critically important that e-cigarette companies and many e-cigarette consumers in NY contact all members of the Senate Rules Committee (and especially all Republican members of the Senate Rules Cmte), urging them to oppose S 7635 (as the Rules Committee is the only entity that has the legal authority to move S 7635 forward before the NY legislative session ends, even though S 7635 is in the Health Cmte).

In addition to urging the Senate Rules Committee members to reject S 7635, I suggest urging Republicans on the Senate Rules Cmte members to instead support S2926 (sponsored by 7 Senate Republican colleagues of Hannon)
Bills
and to urge Democrats on the Senate Rules Cmte to support A9044 (sponsored by lots of Assembly Democrats) at
Bills
because both of those bills would ban the sale of e-cigarettes to minors.

It would also help to inform all Republicans on the Senate Rules Committee (but not Democrats) that FDA Deputy Commissioner Josh Sharfstein (who tried to ban the sale of e-cigarettes to adults in 2009) was appointed by Obama and was a former staffer for Congressman Henry Waxman, and that all of the bills previously introduced in CA, NY, MD, IL, WA, TN to ban e-cig sales to adults were sponsored by liberal Democrats and were opposed by Republicans.

It would be helpful if someone developed a list of Republicans on the NY Senate Rules Cmte and a list of Democrats on the Cmte, so that folks could send them different letters.

Last edited:

Fiamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
So Calif
To go along with Bill Godshall's comment. Committee list is here: http://www.nysenate.gov/event/2012/jun/13/rules-meeting-0 List is on the left middle of this page.

New York Senate, Rules Committee Republicans.

James S. Alesi, Hugh T Farley, Charles J Fuschillo Jr, Kemp Hannon, Owen H Johnson, William J Larkin Jr, Kenneth P LaValle, Tom Libous, Carl L Marcellino, George D Maziarz, Michael F Nozzolio, Stephen M Saland, James L. Seward, Dean G. Skelos.

New York Senate, Rules Committee Democrats.

Neil D. Breslin, Martin Malavé Dilan, Thomas K. Duane, Ruth Hassell-Thompson, Liz Krueger, Velmanette Montgomery, Kevin S. Parker, Bill Perkins, John L. Sampson, Malcolm A. Smith, Andrea Stewart-Cousins.

There are a number of large E cig sellers in New York State. You might also mention there is a need for jobs, not to drive going businesses out of state and therby lose tax revenue and jobs.

Last edited:

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
Calling is more effective than emails, so thank you for making that effort. Even if they only get 10 or 20 calls, that's a lot more than they will get on many proposed laws. It has an impact.

+10 If you are a New Yorker make it your part time job to call them! (kidding... sort of)

If I was a New Yorker they would NOT like... ever hear the last of frosting!! :p Unfortunately e-mail is my best bet not living in their state so I plan to send my e-mail at least 3 times.

DC2--- Prohibiting electronic cigarette sales seems to be the case? I mean I don't think CASAA would send a call to action if they where not sure they needed people to speak up... right? Sorry if I'm completely off about whatever it is you're referring to.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
1. DC2: The bill on which CASAA has issued the CTA would prohibit all sales of e-cigarettes in NY to anyone of any age even via mail order. It would also have the effect of closing e-cigarette businesses located in New York.
2. Spazmelda: Correct, the AP story is about the other bill that would only prohibit sales to minors.
3. Everyone: The CTA specifies which bill we want them to oppose, and provides the bill numbers of the Assembly and Senate versions of the sales to minors bills that we support. CASAA: New York State Call to Action

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread