Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Yesterday, the Tennessee House Agricultural Committee passed a bill that bans the sale of electronic cigarettes to minors, however the devices will remain legally available for sale to adult smokers in Tennessee.

The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association (CASAA), a non-profit organization that works to ensure the availability of reduced harm alternatives to cigarette smoking that supports the sales ban to minors, became interested in the legislation when it was alerted that Section 18 of an earlier version of Tennessee House Bill 1729 would have made it a Class B Misdemeanor, punishable by a $10,000 fine, to sell electronic cigarettes to any citizen, regardless of age.

In a letter sent to members of the Tennessee House Agriculture Committee, CASAA Legal Director Yolanda Villa and Medical Director Theresa Whitt urged the Committee to remove Section 18 before passing the bill.

Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association: Tennessee House Agricultural Committee bans e-cigarette sales to minors

Click the link to read the article and be sure to "follow" and sign up for blog updates!

Last edited:

Who_Wants_To_Know

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Awesome. I fully support bans on sales to kids. I honestly think supporting things like this makes us stronger. It helps show that we want these for smokers not for kids. And when some kids are found to use these(some will no matter how many laws pass and how much we try to stop it. It's what they do.) We will be able to show we have always been in full support of efforts to keep these away from kids.

Please do not take my post to mean that I think these are appealing to kids in any way. But kids huff, kids still smoke, kids run around with cloths six times their size and have to hold up their pants to run. No matter what marketing, flavors or lack there of or age restrictions are imposed, there will be a few. No law, intention or effort will totally avoid it.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Awesome. I fully support bans on sales to kids. I honestly think supporting things like this makes us stronger. It helps show that we want these for smokers not for kids. And when some kids are found to use these(some will no matter how many laws pass and how much we try to stop it. It's what they do.) We will be able to show we have always been in full support of efforts to keep these away from kids.

Please do not take my post to mean that I think these are appealing to kids in any way. But kids huff, kids still smoke, kids run around with cloths six times their size and have to hold up their pants to run. No matter what marketing, flavors or lack there of or age restrictions are imposed, there will be a few. No law, intention or effort will totally avoid it.

CASAA definitely thinks any nicotine product should only be sold to adults (although, there is the issue of teen smokers who only have access to deadly cigarettes and not safer alternatives) but the larger point of this article was that there was originally a BAN TO ADULTS with a $10,000 fine (Section 18) also written into this bill originally and we got it taken out! :thumbs:

CASAA definitely thinks any nicotine product should only be sold to adults (although, there is the issue of teen smokers who only have access to deadly cigarettes and not safer alternatives) but the larger point of this article was that there was originally a BAN TO ADULTS with a $10,000 fine (Section 18) also written into this bill originally and we got it taken out! :thumbs:

The bolded part is, in my opinion, just another reason why we need the FDA to regulate e-cigarettes as a tobacco product so they can be made available anywhere that more hazardous tobacco products are sold. There's no reason why a teenager shouldn't be able to illegally acquire smoke-free tobacco products anywhere they can get cigarettes. :p:blink:

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa

But the beauty of the PV is it's ability to make them a kid fad at most. What kid would be able to afford the startup costs and ongoing maintenance required to keep the hardware running. Not to mention the chances of them losing equipment. I don't know how many times I've lost track of where I left my PV and I have a real good feel for the value of money. I just can't see out youth interested in this technology to any meaningful extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread