Mar 31, 2009
USA
final_vote09.14.09.jpg

nitewriter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Hendersonville Tennessee
It sounds like this organization is going to support ALL smokeless alternatives? Snus, snuf, chewing tobacco, disolvables, etc..

If so, this is not at all what I thought it was going to be.

I don't understand 4 out of the top 5 choices containing the word "tobacco." ...I thought that's what we were trying to avoid?

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
It sounds like this organization is going to support ALL smokeless alternatives? Snus, snuf, chewing tobacco, disolvables, etc..

I don't understand 4 out of the top 5 choices containing the word "tobacco." ...I thought that's what we were trying to avoid?

Nitewirter has a very valid point here. This Organization does not what to be affiliated with other products like Snus, snuf, etc. nor should it contain the word tobacco. These are very grave concerns that should not be discounted.

Sun

mtndude

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Roan Mountain, TN

These are the things being discussed right now. It's an open debate, and will be, until a consensus is reached. Everyone is encouraged to voice their opinions.

I'm enthusiastic!

Last edited:

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
Nitewirter has a very valid point here. This Organization does not what to be affiliated with other products like Snus, snuf, etc. nor should it contain the word tobacco. These are very grave concerns that should not be discounted.

Sun

At the risk of crossing posts, this is the current mission statement and charter key objectives being discussed in http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-eco-organization-charter-administration.html

Mission:

The mission of the The Consumer Advocates for Smokeless Alternatives Association is to inform, educate and promote and preserve the consumer's right to choose safer and more effective alternatives to smoking. It is an unbiased, non-profit organization dedicated to the advocacy of its members and their rights.

Objective:

CASAA is a non-profit coalition of consumers and industry professionals working together to educate the public about the real risks and potential benefits of smokeless alternatives. It is the group’s goal to publicize research and support harm reduction technologies, as well as provide and support political and legal causes that preserve consumer freedom.

Organization Goals:
  1. To inform and educate the general public as to the available options for tobacco alternatives and provide documentation to reputable medical and news items.
  2. To maintain a web-based community for individual users and their shared experiences with these products by testimonials, photos and multimedia clips.
  3. Formation of a collective voice for the urging of more positive political, medical and legal representation of the electronic cigarettes and smoking alternative community in congress, the medical community and the media.
  4. Serve as User’s Advocate in efforts to discourage the sale of personal vaporizers and supplies to minors as well as joining existing efforts to discourage the use of nicotine products by minors.
  5. Support manufacturers and suppliers who adhere to stringent standards such as:
    • Providing documentation and safety information to their customers.
    • Fair and legal advertising or marketing claims on packaging, and web sites
    • Requirements that purchases be conducted using appropriate identification
    • Reporting attempts of illegal sales to minors to the proper authorities.
  6. Establish guidelines for responsible, fair and ethical business practices that manufacturers, suppliers, and retailers are required to maintain in order to receive group approval.
  7. Act as a clearinghouse for information about products and services that adhere to ethical practices, high standards of quality and demonstrate true representation of products intended for consumers.
  8. ???
  9. ???
  10. ???
Next?

This was all based on a voting process that started in the campaigning forum almost three weeks ago with 17 names. It's been whittled down to the last five and CASAA finished highest. It was as fair as I could think to do it.

Personally, my intial contribution was ECUA: Electronic Cigarette Users Association - I felt it was a concise respresentation of what we are and I felt the group should be. It never made it past round two and over time (and a zillion PMs) I realized that my opinion was just one of many.

What CASAA's opinion is (or isn't) on Snus is not mine to decide. If user votes are any guage, I am one in 350 voices who participated in selecting a name. User opinion will dictate conventional wisdom and the collective consumer voice will guide our decisions and direct our efforts. If CASAA members don't want to support Snus, then discuss it here.

Last edited:

Mighty Cowphin

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Oregon Coast
i'll support it... but I do not like what that name implies at all... I really liked the VAPOUR one.... okay okay okay as far as I know it was never even in the running... (Came in to late)... but I will stand with you all... I'm all for standing by a vote... well unless it happens that we vote in another Bush... then I move outta the country :)

I really wanted a more relevant acronym like "VAPOR" or "SAFER"...or just Smoke-free Alternatives Foundation (SAF)...but I'm glad we are Consumer Advocates for Smokeless Alternatives....or are we Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives?

Personally, I'd cast my vote for "smoke-free". "Smokeless" conjures images of snuff and chew and has a negative undertone. Smoke-free has the word "free" in it which not only sounds better, IMO, but it underscores the primary goal: freedom. Freedom to choose safer and more effective alternatives to smoking like e-cigarettes.

souporvapor

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Everett, WA
The name does imply an association advocating 'smokeless'
with no reference to the specifics - it would appear to be a bit misleading.
Chantix is smokeless - as are gum, snus, patches, Zyban and those sweet little candies.. (can't spell loz.....)

If p/v's... e-cigs .... vaporizing are the specifics ... this name does not define/reflect adequately.

Opening to the variety referenced by 'smokeless' -
I suppose if that is the preference of the members - so be it.
I have no personal interest in advocating any other 'smokeless' alternatives, nor in giving the impression that is the case.

30 years of smoking...
Vaporized by my ScrewDriver!
(no gum, no pills, no patches .... just vaping)

Mister

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Nanaimo BC Canada
The name does imply an association advocating 'smokeless' with no reference to the specifics - it would appear to be a bit misleading.
Chantix is smokeless - as are gum, snus, patches, Zyban and those sweet little candies.. (can't spell loz.....)

It is advocating "smokeless alternatives." There has been some discussion on the thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-eco-organization-charter-administration.html about the products you mentioned and it seems clear that the organization will not actively support any of them. None of them except snus (and they're debatable) are an "alternative" - they're intended use is for quitting.

mtndude

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Roan Mountain, TN
Just make sure to put a link to the newly reopened Banzhaf Watch site I resurrected from the dead. :p

Banzhaf Watch

I have to agree. Seems less of an electronic cigarette organization name and more supporting all alternatives (patches, gums, snus, chewing tobacco, etc). But whatever you choose, I'll support you.

Yeah, at least the name debate is down to semantics: Smokeless vs Smoke-Free

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread