Casing/Toppings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theinlawjosie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2013
The Bluegrass State
Hello all - I just started DIY'ing and am very interested in extracting some tobacco - towards the end of my time smoking I decided to try a pipe and fell in love with Mississippi River from the Seattle Pipe Club. I'm sure there are some casings/toppings on this tobacco, as is the case with most pipe tobaccos, and I think I've seen others ask about the use of casings on specific blends mentioned in threads here. Should I stay away from pipe blends with casings? Has anyone tried extracting some Mississippi River? I'm just not sure what the significance of these casings may be other than maybe gunking up coils? Thanks!

johni

Extractor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Columbia, Missouri
That Mississippi River blend sounds interesting. I have extracted a couple of similar tobaccos with success. Heavier cased tobaccos do seem to create gunkier extract but filtration of particulates affects performance more. If you do a heat assisted extraction, be careful not to get it too hot, filter it well, and Mississippi River should make a tasty vape.

theinlawjosie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2013
The Bluegrass State
That Mississippi River blend sounds interesting. I have extracted a couple of similar tobaccos with success. Heavier cased tobaccos do seem to create gunkier extract but filtration of particulates affects performance more. If you do a heat assisted extraction, be careful not to get it too hot, filter it well, and Mississippi River should make a tasty vape.

Thanks for the response! Mississippi River is indeed an excellent blend! Unfortunately, I completely forgot about giving my last tin away when I switched to vaping and it is kind of hard to get a hold of. :( I guess I'll be stalking PipesAndCigars for a little while. I was leaning towards a cold extraction and based on your response, I believe that is what I will go with. I'll let you know how it turns out once I can get my hands on it again.

Dustmight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Detroit, MI USA
Thanks for the response! Mississippi River is indeed an excellent blend! Unfortunately, I completely forgot about giving my last tin away when I switched to vaping and it is kind of hard to get a hold of. :( I guess I'll be stalking PipesAndCigars for a little while. I was leaning towards a cold extraction and based on your response, I believe that is what I will go with. I'll let you know how it turns out once I can get my hands on it again.

I too really enjoyed Mississippi River when I was smoking a pipe. I have an unopened year old tin in my cellar and have had this on my list of blends to make extractions from. I'm going to start a heat extraction in the next few days and see how it goes. If you're interested, perhaps we could do an extraction swap. I'll send you a bit of the finished heat extract and some of the tobacco, and if you would like to do the cold steep (which I'm too impatient to try myself) and send me some back, we can compare notes.

MS River is such a complex blend I'm really geeked to see how this translates to an extraction. I don't believe it contains any casings, but if it does, it will have some effect on your coils. I finished an extraction of this blend recently: Just For Him - Shortcut To Mushrooms - Tobacco Reviews which is moderately cased. I did notice that my coils gunk up pretty quick with this one, but not all that much faster than other latakia/english extractions I've tried. Flavor diminishes pretty significantly on the toppings using the heat method, which I really don't mind at all.

theinlawjosie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2013
The Bluegrass State
I too really enjoyed Mississippi River when I was smoking a pipe. I have an unopened year old tin in my cellar and have had this on my list of blends to make extractions from. I'm going to start a heat extraction in the next few days and see how it goes. If you're interested, perhaps we could do an extraction swap. I'll send you a bit of the finished heat extract and some of the tobacco, and if you would like to do the cold steep (which I'm too impatient to try myself) and send me some back, we can compare notes.

MS River is such a complex blend I'm really geeked to see how this translates to an extraction. I don't believe it contains any casings, but if it does, it will have some effect on your coils. I finished an extraction of this blend recently: Just For Him - Shortcut To Mushrooms - Tobacco Reviews which is moderately cased. I did notice that my coils gunk up pretty quick with this one, but not all that much faster than other latakia/english extractions I've tried. Flavor diminishes pretty significantly on the toppings using the heat method, which I really don't mind at all.

Wow, that is a very kind offer! I'm definitely interested - thank you very much. If you want to send me a message we can work out the details. Also, if you are a fan of fruity vapes at all, I have a lot of them from my time with Zamplebox that I can send your way as a thank you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread