Status
Not open for further replies.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
The case is not confirmed yet. It's a Canadian case they suspect, as yet uncomfirmed, that its likely to be bronchiolitis obliterans (aka popcorn lung)

"The Canadian teen had been vaping flavored e-cigarette pods and THC for five months before he became ill. It's not confirmed if diacetyl was in his cartridges. "

So we don't know the actual cause, or even yet if it is popcorn lung. While some chemicals can cause this rare condition, there are many which can - not just diacetyl.

Choices of other chemicals which can lead to the disease include welding fumes, ammonia, chlorine, as well as certain oxides.

There are also various types of respiratory infections that can also cause this rare disease as well, one of which might be vaping THC cartridges contaminated with Vitamin E.

So just because he vapes doesn't make vaping nicotine the only potential cause of his illness.

I suspect we can easily put this in the junk pile of anti e-cigarette use for nicotine replacement therapy trash.

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Posted this is another thread but this is from a different article.

"Researchers aren’t sure whether diacetyl was present in the e-liquids inhaled by the teen, since the products he vaped had been long discarded. They also couldn’t medically confirm he had “popcorn lung” because a surgical lung biopsy was deemed unsafe."

I call BS on the popcorn lung part.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Look. Sometimes people die. Sometimes, people die after switching to vaping OR get sick and I'm sorry, correlation is NOT causation. Maybe he was a Canadian miner who also vaped. IDK. I ALSO DON'T CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anecdotes make for human interest and I HATE THAT.

I do not care about the Canadian vaper who couldn't. SO WHAT???

Come to me with a well designed study that demonstrates causation and not correlation, and I will be interested. Also not mice. Men. And Women.

England is the closest TO that and they are being roundly ignored... for a reason.

You know, some people are allergic to peanuts. THEY DIE EVEN sometimes.

Where is the anti-peanut lobby, I ask.

PEOPLE die. The occasional few die from explosions or is it just one so far.

PEOPLE DIE FROM EVERYTHING. To be born, means that the moment of your death approaches. WHY is everyone so fixated on this DYING stuff.

Because death is scary and sad? Yep? And? This is meaningful HOW?

Guess what, I tend to believe (as a chronic illness person) that I should have some say in HOW I choose live versus how it may cause my death sooner.)

This is a quality of life over quantity of life thing. I'm sure being treated shortens my life other than untreated enough I'd get run over by traffic.

When you are born, you are going to die. So SHUT UP already the ONLY teen vaper I assisted in any way was my OWN and he was already a smoker. Government and media, as his parent,. well maybe down the line that would be a CPS case but it wasn't THEN. So just SHUT UP OH GOD ALREADY I AM SO TIRED.

Anna

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread