CDC NHIS finds another record low 14.1% US adult smoking rate, but CDC doesn't tell anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Pretty easy to find and share from their website tho.

Only because I just posted the weblink, and only because a vaping activist from Australia found that weblink last week (while searching through CDC's NHIS database so he could compare the decline in smoking rates in the US vs Australia).

If CDC was truly interested in keeping Americans informed, the agency would have issued a press release or a written report touting this new record low smoking rate. When it comes to smoking, vaping and tobacco use, CDC only reports the bad news (that is typically misrepresented in an attempt to confuse and scare).

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Only because I just posted the weblink, and only because a vaping activist from Australia found that weblink last week (while searching through CDC's NHIS database so he could compare the decline in smoking rates in the US vs Australia).

If CDC was truly interested in keeping Americans informed, the agency would have issued a press release or a written report touting this new record low smoking rate. When it comes to smoking, vaping and tobacco use, CDC only reports the bad news (that is typically misrepresented in an attempt to confuse and scare).
Right. The declining smoking rate doesn't fit their narrative very well, especially if they had to admit that one of the reasons for it is all the people like us here who've switched to vaping.

low_tar_neil

ECF Tea-boy, Vaping.com guy
Admin
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 20, 2008
    www.vaping.com
    CDC NHIS finds another new record low 14.1% adult cigarette smoking rate (for first 9 months of 2017), down from 15.8% in 2016; but CDC fails to issue a press release or report
    https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhis/earlyrelease/EarlyRelease201803_08.pdf

Note that CDC changed the NHIS in 2016, causing an artificial smoking rate increase from 2015.

Hi Bill, hope you don't mind but we wrote it up so we can send it out to the mailing list, obviously this is a huge story. Let me know if we've got anything wrong and need to change it!

Record Smoking Lows Kept Quiet, Claims Expert / Vaping.com - Your One Stop Vapor Shop | vaping.com

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    That is very interesting information, and I am so glad someone dug it up. Oy. I'm not shocked they didn't publicize it. I do think those CDC numbers should be handled evenly (although I'm not shocked that they aren't.). Thanks for the information.

Anna

You can get All Kinds of Interesting Information if you subscribe to Bill G's Tobacco Harm Reduction Updates e-Mail.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Right. The declining smoking rate doesn't fit their narrative very well, especially if they had to admit that one of the reasons for it is all the people like us here who've switched to vaping.

I know right?

I think when smokers became social pariahs by the mid 90's - late 90's everyone worked on quitting who could or who wanted to.

That left a large group of people who just couldn't quit by any other means..

It seems that since 2010, the percentage of smokers has decreased by an additional 5%, and that's a definite positive.. I'm sure vaping was likely contributory to that continued decline..

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2009
    Hi Bill, hope you don't mind but we wrote it up so we can send it out to the mailing list, obviously this is a huge story. Let me know if we've got anything wrong and need to change it!

Record Smoking Lows Kept Quiet, Claims Expert / Vaping.com - Your One Stop Vapor Shop | vaping.com

Thank you.

Last week, Altria reported an estimated 7% decline in PM USA cigarette volume in 1Q18 (from 1Q17), and a 5.5% decline in US cigarette industry volume (which is the largest quarterly decline in cigarette volume since 2009/10 after Congress increased the federal cigarette tax by $.62/pack).

Although Altria refused to acknowledge that JUUL and other vapor products caused much/most of the cigarette volume decline, Wall Street stock analysts and Altria investors took note, as Altria stocks have tumbled.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    3 1/2 years ago me and one other guy were the only vapers where I work. Today I'm pretty sure there are more vapers than smokers in the building. The vapers are biased towards the younger guys. The smokers tend to be the older guys. I believe vaping is having a bigger impact than the numbers indicate and the numbers are finally starting to move.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread