Status
Not open for further replies.

urquidezj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2010
Tucson AZ
here is my first tutorial so sorry if it sucks, I want to thanks ooSTURMoo for showing me this I just made it more detailed.

Items required:
Ce3 xl or phoenix atty (vaporalley.com)
Silica rope from cov or 100% cotton yarn from Michael's (experimental safer wick)
32g kanthal a1 (eBay)
No resistance wire (cov or Michael's in the jewelry bead dept.)
Wire cutters
Multimeter or provari to check resistance.

I usually guess my resistance, with 32g 1inch equals roughly one ohm..
Here we go

Here is the carto or whatever its called in the package. One already built in the provari
IMAG0901.jpg

cotton yarn ill be using in the tutorial
IMAG0903.jpg

resistance and no resistance wire
IMAG0902.jpg

screw on atty into any mod
IMAG0905.jpg

gently pry out tube
IMAG0906.jpg

chamber tube will pop out and also pull silicone gasket out
IMAG0907.jpg

pry out center pin on bottom also remove gasket carefully with tweezers
IMAG0908.jpg

pin and gasket removed
IMAG0909.jpg

push ceramic cup out from front, should just slide out
IMAG0910.jpg

all pieces
IMAG0911.jpg

now remove the coil and wick from ceramic cup
IMAG0912.jpg

IMAG0914.jpg

IMAG0915.jpg

IMAG0916.jpg

now we prepare wick and coil
IMAG0918.jpg

resistance
IMAG0917.jpg

use paper clip for wick stability
IMAG0919.jpg

wrap make sure coils are a bit separated from each other and are not wider than ceramic cup
IMAG0920.jpg

slide resistance wire end tails through ceramic cup holes
IMAG0921.jpg

IMAG0922.jpg

slide paper clip out and pull wires from bottom so coil is pulled into the cup
IMAG0923.jpg

now bend one of the wires up toward the top of the cup, this will be our negative
IMAG0924.jpg

now cut a piece of no resistance wire
IMAG0925.jpg

twist the no resistance wire to the wire sticking straight down, get as close to cup as you can
IMAG0926.jpg

now wrap no resistance wire downwards on whats already wrapped
IMAG0927.jpg

cut excess off
IMAG0929.jpg

IMAG0930.jpg

hard part done, now we slide ceramic cup into the base. it has to have some slip fit to it so negative can ground right, this is where you get to play with negative best way i find that helps is not to make a tight corner bend on the ceramic when bending the wire up several steps back
IMAG0931.jpg

positive wire on back
IMAG0932.jpg

install rubber gasket
IMAG0933.jpg

pull wire down to add some tension, dont go crazy on the pull just a small amount of force and bend towards front
IMAG0934.jpg

insert pin
IMAG0935.jpg

IMAG0936.jpg

cut excess off
IMAG0937.jpg

tuck away small wire left towards center of pin
IMAG0938.jpg

push negative to the left with tweezers to create a nice crease where the wick groove is and cut excess
IMAG0939.jpg

fold your wick tails back
IMAG0940.jpg

insert top coil chamber cover
IMAG0941.jpg

trim wick tails
IMAG0942.jpg

IMAG0943.jpg

pull cover off and add a bit of juice to test resistance, only need to be done if testing on provari. still add a small amount of juice if not using provari so it can be primed
IMAG0944.jpg

once you have your coil chamber top back on, slide clear tube over the base
IMAG0945.jpg

install silicone gasket on top, there is a side up so pay attention when pulling apart what side it is
IMAG0946.jpg

IMAG0947.jpg

finished
IMAG0948.jpg

this took me about a half hour to do taking pics and all, it should take around 15 tops, remeber to fill these with syringe upside down or they will leak horribly, also dont wrap resistance wire too tight around wick or you will choke it out and it wont wick. anything i might have missed please point out, i hope this helps most of you interested in learning how to rebuild your attys. remember, this same technique can be applied to 510s and 306s if pulled apart properly. also, if you grind the knurlls down on the base slide a regular carto tube over it, punch it, you can use em on the big carto tanks. sturm did that and he says it works perfect. hope it helps.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
sunoman, come hang out :)

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/284030-wick-materials-safe-vs-dangerous.html

the short answer is, it doesn't burn at all if you don't try to dry burn, and it holds up and wicks better than silica. It can even tolerate dry hits as the cotton sucks up juice like a beast. But if you use cotton, you probably won't get any dry hits. Except of course if you're me and using a phoenix, but I get dry hits no matter what with these things it seems, unless I get the wick volume *just right*

Fenitok

Aug 28, 2010
Somewhere
This looks kickass. Great job urquidezj, as always cause i've seen some of your other work around here. Also, thanks for the tut. I might hit you a PM soon on one of these forums to see if you would sell me some of your machined rebuildable dripping attys... Though I'm pretty sure you get asked almost everyday.

Have anyone ever tried this CE3 as a drip only atty?
Im really looking for a rebuildable dripping-only atty and I would try this in hopes of using them mostly as so.
I've successfully rebuilt a CE2 and cut the center post to make it like a dripping atty of sorts but it was painful and not very easy (soldering ss with lead free solder for wire posts is a big PITA). This CE3 rebuild looks so simple and sexy that i will probably try it anyways but it would be icing on the cake if I could use these as dripping attys rather than a normal clearo.

Fenitok

Aug 28, 2010
Somewhere
Thanks a lot for the heads up Cyrus! Much appreciated. I DIY too and like to change flavors a lot which is why I'm only interested in drip attys
I may or may not modify the outer tube. I didnt cut the tube of my CE2 and i didn't mind the cooler vapor of the coil farther to the mouthpiece. However that top silicone plug will probably have to go for dripping.

I will definately have to order some of these now. xD

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL
Subscribed. I don't know if I'll ever actually rebuild one ... but good to have a walk through for it.

The cotton looks thicker than the stock silica ... and I like that you can get it lined up perfectly with the wick openings, which seems to me to be a cause of some seepage. The thicker wick also looks like it would help keep the seal.

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL
Well, I took one apart tonight on a whim ... (silly ADD) ... seeing the little metal pin piece all by itself lends promise to something I was kind of working on earlier. There are now newer versions of the CE3 without the big hole in the bottom ... so I proposed filling the hole with something like RTV silicone. I went as far as getting some silicone into one once ... then that silly ADD kicked in again and I kind of forgot about said project ... not even sure where that particular CE3 is now ... but I know that once cured, it did vape fine. Never really figured out why such a large hole was needed really, since it sits almost flush against the center post of the battery (but not flush enough to keep from leaking). Knowing how easy it is to pull that center post out now ... I can see where it it's going to be easier to fill it. Either with RTV or maybe even JB Weld. Solder might work as well since they don't get too hot really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread