SE PA

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
True, legal precedent is good, even if it doesn't translate to a real world effect. I was thinking more along the lines of airlines aren't going to start allowing vaping on planes.
Right, they probably won't. I think just about all the airlines had their own rules in places against vaping before the DOT banned it. But I'm happy to see someone fighting regulatory overreach when it comes to vaping even if it won't have much practical effect.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Even if both DOT regulations and airline policies were reversed, I just could not enjoy vaping on a flight filled with frantically hand-waving, fake-coughing, outraged and hysterical fellow passengers ... :rolleyes:
Maybe not, but I'd definitely enjoy some stealth-ish vaping more than I would a 12 hour flight without it.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Remember how we used to smoke in the back of the plane?
Yep, and before that (roughly the mid 1970s, I think) when you could smoke anywhere on the plane you wanted.

But I don't jones for a vape like I did for a smoke.
Maybe not as bad, but bad enough that I don't fly without nic gum.

Reactions: phanner

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Yep, and before that (roughly the mid 1970s, I think) when you could smoke anywhere on the plane you wanted.

I'm used to the situations where I can't vape, not a burden for me. Eventually I'll try to make liquid with no visible vapor and see where that gets me. How about a mod that looks like a medical device and produces no visible vapor. But I haven't needed anything like that so haven't worked on the problem. Where vaping on the plane is more of an issue is very long international flights. Most of us don't do those.

Tache

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
BC Canada

Back when I had a little more spare cash and used to vacation down in the Dominican Republic, and I hadn't discovered vaping yet, I used to suck air through an unlit cigarette (hidden in a fisted hand) to get me through the almost 11 hour flight from Vancouver (on the west coast of Canada) to Punta Cana.

I haven't had opportunity to fly since I've started vaping, but I expect that when I do, I will dig out my old iTaste with a small tank and do a similar manoeuvre, except using stealth techniques to ensure that no one is alarmed or would even notice that I am actually vaping.

Nic gum wouldn't help. It's the other habituated actions that do it for me. As a side bar - I had to fly to Hong Kong for a work thing (pretty much a sixteen hour flight) when I was still a smoker. What got me through that time was drinking everything they offered me in Business Class (and Cathay Pacific does a wonderful job at that) and sleeping as long as I could manage! That's part of how I was convinced that nicotine wasn't the "culprit". I still availed myself of the disgusting enclosed smoking cubicles that were available at that time in Hong Kong airport to have a "real cigarette" before even starting to find the airline desk for my connecting flight.

Reactions: LaraC

pineappledan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Dartmouth
This seems like a good way to test out how all our medical and scientific studies hold up to legal scrutiny. If they do not recognize them, we will know why and better studies and tests can be done before we go for the big enchilada. If they are recognized in this case, they can be used in other cases.
Also, it would be good to see what the FDA does in this proxy war.
I think this will be a very interesting chess match.

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
Kind of seems like they would have bigger fish to fry these days. Also, I think vaping in such a confined space is inconsiderate.
Most things can be done inconsiderately and people get tossed off planes all the time for a variety of inconsiderate behaviors. If someone's vaping inconsiderately in a confined space they're doing it wrong; it's easy to be considerate.

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
Most things can be done inconsiderately and people get tossed off planes all the time for a variety of inconsiderate behaviors. If someone's vaping inconsiderately in a confined space they're doing it wrong; it's easy to be considerate.
Perhaps, it "can" be done, but what are you gonna state in your rules, only mtl stealth vaping with unflavored juice? Just doesn't seem practical. I have no problem with not vaping under certain circumstances in confined spaces.

Reactions: Racehorse

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Perhaps, it "can" be done, but what are you gonna state in your rules, only mtl stealth vaping with unflavored juice? Just doesn't seem practical. I have no problem with not vaping under certain circumstances in confined spaces.
How about:
Please be respectful of other passengers when using personal vaporizers. The airline reserves the right to disallow the use of vaporizers when necessary.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest

Me neither.
I really feel sorry now for the non smokers on planes and in my workplaces when we were allowed to just smoke smoke smoke. I remember there were employees who went home with massive headaches (non smokers) and they were nice people who never gave me or any of the other smokers a hard time. It was allowed, legal, and we had ashtrays on our desks! What were they gonna do? Most of them realized we needed our "fix".

Looking back at that taught me something about being considerate. It's not something that is forced on you, it's something you just *do* because you ARE considerate.

My brother is sensitive to flavorings and vapor (has hyperactive airway) so I don't vape around him in closed spaces.

Ever seen those rooms where they have vaping conventions? Please don't make me post a photo. I'm not even sure I could stay in there very long...........

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed_C

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
The culture was much different back then when even Presidents smoked without apology, when the majority of adults were raised during the Depression and suffered through WWII and the Korean War and smoked. Could it be the nicotine helped them through those trying times? People knew they had individual rights and to mind their own business where other people's rights were concerned. We are now a nation of "in your face", "sensitive", "know it all" people constantly walking on eggshells with "free speech" zones and "PC" attitudes. Where in the heck are our "James Deans"? I can only find "victims." ..........As usual, it looks like the pendulum has swung too far. :cry:

Last edited:

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
The culture was much different back then when even Presidents smoked without apology ...

il_570xN.267426967.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread