The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.
  1. Dear Guest, 

ECF will be down for an extended period Tuesday 25th January from 6am central / 7am Eastern. 

This is due to a server migration. With any luck we'll by open by lunchtime. Thanks in advance for your patience :)

@low_tar_neil

Dismiss Notice

CEI Files Opening Brief against “Vapes on a Plane” Regulation

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by Lessifer, Aug 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Lessifer

Lessifer Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rossum

Rossum "Chump" Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Lessifer

True, legal precedent is good, even if it doesn't translate to a real world effect. I was thinking more along the lines of airlines aren't going to start allowing vaping on planes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Right, they probably won't. I think just about all the airlines had their own rules in places against vaping before the DOT banned it. But I'm happy to see someone fighting regulatory overreach when it comes to vaping even if it won't have much practical effect.

• Like Like x 8
  5. rico942

rico942 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 12, 2013
    Carlsbad, CA
    Even if both DOT regulations and airline policies were reversed, I just could not enjoy vaping on a flight filled with frantically hand-waving, fake-coughing, outraged and hysterical fellow passengers ... :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 4
  6. Lessifer

Maybe not, but I'd definitely enjoy some stealth-ish vaping more than I would a 12 hour flight without it.

• Like Like x 6
  7. sofarsogood

sofarsogood Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2014
    Remember how we used to smoke in the back of the plane? But I don't jones for a vape like I did for a smoke.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Yep, and before that (roughly the mid 1970s, I think) when you could smoke anywhere on the plane you wanted.

Maybe not as bad, but bad enough that I don't fly without nic gum.

• Like Like x 1
  9. sofarsogood

sofarsogood Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2014
    I'm used to the situations where I can't vape, not a burden for me. Eventually I'll try to make liquid with no visible vapor and see where that gets me. How about a mod that looks like a medical device and produces no visible vapor. But I haven't needed anything like that so haven't worked on the problem. Where vaping on the plane is more of an issue is very long international flights. Most of us don't do those.

10. Grimwald

Grimwald Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 12, 2012
    Lawrence KS
    I've lived thru...smoking anywhere after takeoff...smoking only in the rear rows (which continued to shrink until it was only the last row or two)...smoking only after leaving US airspace...nada.

Maybe we could try the same progression with vaping.

11. Tache

Tache Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 25, 2013
    BC Canada
    Back when I had a little more spare cash and used to vacation down in the Dominican Republic, and I hadn't discovered vaping yet, I used to suck air through an unlit cigarette (hidden in a fisted hand) to get me through the almost 11 hour flight from Vancouver (on the west coast of Canada) to Punta Cana.

I haven't had opportunity to fly since I've started vaping, but I expect that when I do, I will dig out my old iTaste with a small tank and do a similar manoeuvre, except using stealth techniques to ensure that no one is alarmed or would even notice that I am actually vaping.

Nic gum wouldn't help. It's the other habituated actions that do it for me. As a side bar - I had to fly to Hong Kong for a work thing (pretty much a sixteen hour flight) when I was still a smoker. What got me through that time was drinking everything they offered me in Business Class (and Cathay Pacific does a wonderful job at that) and sleeping as long as I could manage! That's part of how I was convinced that nicotine wasn't the "culprit". I still availed myself of the disgusting enclosed smoking cubicles that were available at that time in Hong Kong airport to have a "real cigarette" before even starting to find the airline desk for my connecting flight.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ed_C

Ed_C Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 11, 2013
    Seligman, MO
    Kind of seems like they would have bigger fish to fry these days. Also, I think vaping in such a confined space is inconsiderate.

• Like Like x 2
  13. rico942

Jul 12, 2013
    Carlsbad, CA
    You're the guy I want sitting in the next seat ... :D

• Like Like x 3
  14. pineappledan

pineappledan Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    Dartmouth
    This seems like a good way to test out how all our medical and scientific studies hold up to legal scrutiny. If they do not recognize them, we will know why and better studies and tests can be done before we go for the big enchilada. If they are recognized in this case, they can be used in other cases.
    Also, it would be good to see what the FDA does in this proxy war.
    I think this will be a very interesting chess match.

• Like Like x 3
  15. snork

snork Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 30, 2011
    CO
    Most things can be done inconsiderately and people get tossed off planes all the time for a variety of inconsiderate behaviors. If someone's vaping inconsiderately in a confined space they're doing it wrong; it's easy to be considerate.

• Like Like x 6
  16. Ed_C

Ed_C Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 11, 2013
    Seligman, MO
    Perhaps, it "can" be done, but what are you gonna state in your rules, only mtl stealth vaping with unflavored juice? Just doesn't seem practical. I have no problem with not vaping under certain circumstances in confined spaces.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lessifer

How about:
    Please be respectful of other passengers when using personal vaporizers. The airline reserves the right to disallow the use of vaporizers when necessary.

• Like Like x 9
  18. Racehorse

Racehorse ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 12, 2012
    USA midwest
    Me neither.
    I really feel sorry now for the non smokers on planes and in my workplaces when we were allowed to just smoke smoke smoke. I remember there were employees who went home with massive headaches (non smokers) and they were nice people who never gave me or any of the other smokers a hard time. It was allowed, legal, and we had ashtrays on our desks! What were they gonna do? Most of them realized we needed our "fix".

Looking back at that taught me something about being considerate. It's not something that is forced on you, it's something you just *do* because you ARE considerate.

My brother is sensitive to flavorings and vapor (has hyperactive airway) so I don't vape around him in closed spaces.

Ever seen those rooms where they have vaping conventions? Please don't make me post a photo. I'm not even sure I could stay in there very long...........

• Like Like x 1
  19. choochoogranny

choochoogranny Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 21, 2013
    chattanooga, tn, usa
    The culture was much different back then when even Presidents smoked without apology, when the majority of adults were raised during the Depression and suffered through WWII and the Korean War and smoked. Could it be the nicotine helped them through those trying times? People knew they had individual rights and to mind their own business where other people's rights were concerned. We are now a nation of "in your face", "sensitive", "know it all" people constantly walking on eggshells with "free speech" zones and "PC" attitudes. Where in the heck are our "James Deans"? I can only find "victims." ..........As usual, it looks like the pendulum has swung too far. :cry:

• Like Like x 9
  20. rico942

Jul 12, 2013
    Carlsbad, CA
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.