Status
Not open for further replies.

cekte

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Oregon
www.youtube.com
YouTube - Cekte's Review of the JOYE510 from VaporGuys.com

Hello. Hope you enjoy the review and my 'short' saga below ;)
(My apologies for the the Uhs and Ums I wanted to do it in one take, and wanted to avoid any scripting, editing, etc possible)

Vapor - Very impressive and steady for about a week, has decreased since
Atomizer - Seemed to work great. Now overheats and cruises through juice like no other
Battery - 3-4 hrs heavy use at first, 2-3 hrs at very best now
Carts - Last quite long until the atomizer acts up and fries all the liquid
Switch - Very Very sensitive! Worked fine initially, but performs poorly on average
Draw - Very smooth and fairly easy draw. Has decreased a bit with time
Throat Hit - Quite nice. Rather full and harsh, more so depending on the liquid.
Taste - Fantastic! Although now it seems that the atomizer operates so hot, that the fluid cannot wick to the atomizer fast enough, creating the plasticy burnt primer taste occasionally.

Initial Thoughts
Overall I was initially quite impressed by the performance of the JOYE510. However, it seems as if the performance of it is steadily decreasing. I am unsure as to if this is the atomizer or the batteries, but at this point it seems to be quite problematic of both. If the bugs were worked out of this model, it would surely put the 901 to rest. Its vapor production is definitely more abundant than my 901, and the ease of draw on the 510 is quite nice. Not quite a KissBox light draw, a bit stiffer, but very easy overall.

VAPOR PRODUCTION
The vapor production was very abundant within the first day of full use the atomzer had fully broken in, and the factory primer was long gone. Its vapor was easily exceeding that of a 901 and a comparable contender to a penstyle and pipe.

ATOMIZER
I have yet to have an 'opportunity' to perform surgery on an atomizer and battery of this design. However I am fairly certain as to the atomizers construction. It seems that this particular units wicking under the bridge, is coming out. There are visible fibers unlike the cart material that is protruding from under the steel mesh bridge. This atomizer seems as if the coil is somewhat raised out of the ceramic pot, and the fibers are coming loose of the coil.

Upon first receival, the mesh bridge was slightly bent towards the inner wall of the atomizer housing. Looking very carefully, one could observe the fibers coming undone very slightly at that time. I extremely carefully bent the bridge back ever so slightly, to correct its alignment. Its performance after primer fluid was gone, and unit warmed up, was extremely impressive to say the least.

Now the unit "warms" up just a bit too much. I have found that after a few weeks use, the atomizer seems to operate on a hotter and hotter temperature. At this point after five to seven consecutive draws with primer puff, and continuing, the unit is so hot it has actually melted some of the cartridges collars! It gets so hot I literally cannot touch it at times. Surprisingly this unit is still going however.

BATTERY DURATION
The batteries seemed to initially keep a charge upwards of 3-4hrs of heavy vaping for the first week. This was easily providing 100+ 5 second draws with a primer on one battery. This did not last for very long.

After heavy use for the second week and after, batteries performance dropped quite a bit. They could not hold a charge or vape nearly as long as before. I would say at this point they had lost nearly 1/4 to 1/3 of their original capacity and performance.

CARTRIDGE LIFE
As mentioned before, the carts were quite impressive at first. Clocking in as over 100+ draws with primer. This is very notable for a "mini" series. However the carts started to last much less as time went on. Using fresh carts, topped carts, rebatted carts, etc all proved much less than normal recordings and experiences. I believe this is due to the atomizers performance and not directly related to the cart.

SWITCH PERFORMANCE
The cutoff is sporadic quite a bit it seems. It does not always allow a full draw, but occasionally does. More so when the battery is quite fresh and the unit has sat for a few minutes. Quite often it does a cut off of the 2.5-3 seconds of draw. If the user increases the draw steadily, or manipulates the 510 it seems to override the cutoff sometimes, but not always and does not seem to be an exact science to manipulating the faulty switch/sensor unit.

Also these newer style of Electronic pressure switches, definitely have their pros and cons. Personally I think they still have more developing to do on them. They are too sensitive at inopportune times, and not sensitive enough at others. These switches in the JOYE series seem to be some of the most sensitive on the market. Even more so than the Smoore M4 series.

EASE OF DRAW
I am quite fond of the draw on the 510. Even still with the atomizer problems and switch dilemmas its ease of draw is still fairly remarkable. I prefer it much over that of a 901 and switching to a m4 series after using the 510 for a bit, is a night and day difference. The 510's draw does excel by quite a bit.

Other Flaws-
The carts leak, though it can be remedied fairly easily. It varies from cart to cart, the more one is used, the less tightly it fits, the more it leaks. It is honestly a bit of a nuisance, and if the unit is set down and not cared for properly at all times, one will find themselves with a messy and sticky situation. I think the leaking of the carts may be part of the problem with fluid getting into the switches, personally.

I believe that about sums up the overall performance of the JOYE510 current production runs. I will add once more however, that Vapor Guys discontinued carrying these models immediately after it was being realized how wide spread problems were. They are offering reimbursements of a different model and are fully acknowleding that the product had flaws. This is a good step IMO. Other Suppliers have followed suit as well.

JOYE is currently working with its Suppliers producing new improved models of both the JOYE510 and the JOYE510 Manual Switch model. In Theory these design revisions should alleviate any previous flaws with the model. I truly hope so to be honest. The first few days with the unit gives me hope for a better vaporizer...

Cheers

-cekte

cekte

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Oregon
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the review - glad you waited a few weeks before posting a reveiw. Had you did a quick review when you got it, several people would have probably ran out and got one based on intitial performance. Have to love the word cantankerous (hehe). :)

Absolutely. Indeed, at first I had planned of doing Initial Impressions reviews, and then Follow-Up reviews a week to two afterwards. However I chose otherwise after thinking this over for some time. With my experiences with these devices, I decided that although it may help one to see how it performs out of the box, that is not necessarily how it will perform a week or two later with heavy use. As this model being a prime example. This is one of the better ones I might add..

Cantankerous should most definitely be used more frequently ;)

cekte

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Oregon
www.youtube.com
Very very good review and very analytic.:thumb:
I will wait for the next with the manual switch with impatience.
Thanks cekte. :)

Thank you very much for the compliments Leftezi. You are very welcome. I am happy to be here, and to be of any possible help. :)

I too am awaiting the new manual switch model anxiously. If they truly have worked out some of the previous issues with the normal JOYE510 series, this should be quite the unit to behold.

Quite honestly this unit through all of its mechanical blemishes, still somehow trudges along so far.. I may be jinxing it now though ;)

val55

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2009
New Jersey , USA
Great review !! I'm sure we can all agree that this review can also be applied to Dura . I'm having the same exactly issues with my. Jeff at Jantyusa sent me an extra unit on till he get's the Dura C in stock , than will exchange it free of charge.

I still use the same atomizer it has been over a month. It does get hot sometimes and boil's the liquid but still going like an Energizer Bunny :evil:

Last edited:

VapeAllDay

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Great review !! I'm sure we can all agree that this review can also be applied to Dura . I'm having the same exactly issues with my. Jeff at Jantyusa sent me an extra unit on till he get's the Dura C in stock , than will exchange it free of charge.

I still use the same atomizer it has been over a month. It does get hot sometimes and boil's the liquid but still going like an Energizer Bunny :evil:

I just got a 510 yesterday and the atomizer is doing that boiling thing too and gets so hot it could slightly burn you. Even though it still is working, it has a terrible burnt taste, in the vapor hits can be very harsh... and I love a good throat hit, but this is different. Dang... Guess I should of waited, but patience is not my thing!

val55

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2009
New Jersey , USA
I just got a 510 yesterday and the atomizer is doing that boiling thing too and gets so hot it could slightly burn you. Even though it still is working, it has a terrible burnt taste, in the vapor hits can be very harsh... and I love a good throat hit, but this is different. Dang... Guess I should of waited, but patience is not my thing!

Usually it needs some time to brake in .

DCrist721

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2009
Long Island, NY
Nice review Cekte. I was kind of surprised that it was so poor in quality because before it was released I heard it was supposed to be really good.

Also, I don't know if this just might be the video, but does the LED wrap around the front end of the e-cig or is it just on the head of the e-cig? It it wraps around then that would be a really great idea for other e-cigs, that way you could see the LED more easily (especially outside during the day) and know if you/re reaching the cut-off period or if you're battery is dying, etc. It also makes it look more like a burning cigarette; if they could make it with a serrated/rough edges it would be even more realistic looking. Although some people feel that e-cigs which resemble cigarettes are a bad idea, but I like it so I don't have to explain to everyone who walks by me what an e-cig is. Although I do tell people whom I think would actually understand e0cgis and buy one about them.

cekte

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Oregon
www.youtube.com
Thank you for the kind words CellMeister. Glad you enjoyed. Many more to come.

Thank you Val. Indeed these are one and the same units to my knowledge. OEM and ODM 'designs' aside. Mine was even from a newer production run, according to my 'QA Pass' inspection card. Unfortunate, because it has serious potential. Manufacturer's revisions should prove to be very interesting.

cekte

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Oregon
www.youtube.com

Hey Vape. The burnt taste could be due to the Primer fluid that comes from the factory, in the atomizer to prevent dry coil fire. Also it could be similar to my situation. My atomizer gets so rediculously hot at times, it seems to competely drain the liquid from a full cart in a cigarette's worth (10-15 draws w/primer puff) or so. It could be that your atomizer is operating on such a high temperature that it is vaporizing your fluid much too quickly, hence the burnt empty batting taste. THis also happens because the atomizer heats up so exorbitantly, that it cannot wick liquid fast enough from the cart, to the bridge, to the pot, and finally to the coil.

The vapor hits can be harsh, but that can be altered quite a bit by your draw techniques. If you directly inhale with this unit, it is fairly unpleasant IMO. Especially if what I describe above is happening during.

Sorry to hear of your troubles as well. Keeping the carts always topped but not pooling, is always very helpful. Keeps the burnt taste far at bay.

I also regulate my usage on this model quite a bit now. The first two plus weeks, were extremely heavy use. I used this model quite exclusively during that time frame. It seems as if my unit has even been performing more reliably than some..

All flaws aside, this model has the potential to beat the 901 and penstyles hands down. I have actually contacted JOYE Tech Manufacturing and offered my opinions and experience with the model, and hope that they may take these things into consideration. They have been very friendly thus far, and have been open to my suggestions and opinions. I truly hope they take these into account.

cekte

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Oregon
www.youtube.com
Usually it needs some time to brake in .

Actually in my experience, it performed great for at least the first week or so, until it started having more serious issues. Although its primer was out of mine within minutes, and its atomzier sizzling away; It definitely did not develop the Atomic Atomizer until after serious use for several days. Its 'breaking in' period was really where it just started breaking. ;)

I would also assume I was vap'ing this unit much more frequently and harder than most would think of, normally. I used low and non Nic juice for some of its testing, just to see how many consecutive puffs I could get per battery, per cart, etc. I seriously test the units. I suppose I should have noted that sooner as well. My apologies.

shakey ceasefire

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
San Francisco

I'm getting that nasty burnt taste as well. I also had to do the thing where you bang the batt on the desk (the Fonz method I guess you could call it...) when it seemed to crap out. It works for now.

Too bad, this thing is great, but the burnt taste happens with both atomizers. It started after a 2 days of use.

cekte

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Oregon
www.youtube.com
Nice review Cekte. I was kind of surprised that it was so poor in quality because before it was released I heard it was supposed to be really good.

Also, I don't know if this just might be the video, but does the LED wrap around the front end of the e-cig or is it just on the head of the e-cig? It it wraps around then that would be a really great idea for other e-cigs, that way you could see the LED more easily (especially outside during the day) and know if you/re reaching the cut-off period or if you're battery is dying, etc. It also makes it look more like a burning cigarette; if they could make it with a serrated/rough edges it would be even more realistic looking. Although some people feel that e-cigs which resemble cigarettes are a bad idea, but I like it so I don't have to explain to everyone who walks by me what an e-cig is. Although I do tell people whom I think would actually understand e0cgis and buy one about them.

Sorry DCrist, didn't mean to leave you hanging. I appreciate the kind words.

Indeed initially it seemed to get quite a bit of attention. It is initially an amazing vape. However this fades much too quickly. It develops serious mechanical problems far too early in its life of use.

Unfortunately this model actually has an even worse design as far as LED is concerned IMO. Seems for you as well. Its LED is raised a mm or so, and completely flat on the tip, not even rounded or domed as most are. It has a very faint "ash" print in the pastic tip, but its not as drastic or noticeable as majority of other models. It is quite difficult to see really. In the daylight, impossible. I agree with you, that it is difficult to see the LED at times when taking a draw, and one compulsively looks for the LED to signal things are working properly and sufficient vapor is being produced.

Hope that helps. Cheers.

EDIT: Sorry Papa beat me to it. Thanks Papa L, tis true.

cekte

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Oregon
www.youtube.com
I'm getting that nasty burnt taste as well. I also had to do the thing where you bang the batt on the desk (the Fonz method I guess you could call it...) when it seemed to crap out. It works for now.

Too bad, this thing is great, but the burnt taste happens with both atomizers. It started after a 2 days of use.

Hmm, are your carts full or topped when the burnt taste is occurring? Is it possibly some fiber from the cart in your atomizer? Is your atomizer is reaching extreme temperatures? It may be not wicking the fluid to the bridge, from the cart, then to the coil, fast enough. They are known to do this. This can be compounded with any of the aforementioned events as well.

This could also be as simple as the cleaning cycle. That can take a while to get rid of, if you do not catch it before it starts. The batteries will flash for six full seconds, instead of five flashes (charge), 20 flashes (dead battery), or flashing for ten full seconds for draw count exceed. If this happens, unscrew the battery from the atomizer very quickly. This will prevent such in the future. They make it easy right? ;) Hope that may have helped Shakey.

posaune

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2009
Salt Lake City, UT - USA
EXCELLENT REVIEW!!!

This is uncanny. I'm having the exact same experience as you are Cekte. Every criticism you mentioned is "Spot on". I bought from a local guy and have had vapor loss with little use, bad battery, bad atomizer, and batteries not lasting very long. I'm returning it.

It seems the only thing consistant about this ecig is the inconsistantcy. I guess they need to do a major overhaul on this ecig.

Another GREAT reviewer. You should do more. This is one of the best......and I've probably seen most of them on the net.

Last edited:

shakey ceasefire

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
San Francisco
Hmm, are your carts full or topped when the burnt taste is occurring? Is it possibly some fiber from the cart in your atomizer? Is your atomizer is reaching extreme temperatures? It may be not wicking the fluid to the bridge, from the cart, then to the coil, fast enough. They are known to do this. This can be compounded with any of the aforementioned events as well.

Thanks, Cekte. And they say you're not supposed to drip directly on to the atomizer with this model. I washed my atomizers to get rid of of the burnt smell, will try again. Maybe the key is to take shorter puffs less frequently - so the atomizer doesn't overheat. In the meantime it's back to the 901.

I still think the 510 has a lot of potential. I plan on sticking with it while they work the bugs out. Great review!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread