Cellucotton COTTON - better than their Rayon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oiisu

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2014
MO, USA, Earth
So a few weeks ago after hearing so many good things about different types of wick I decided to expand my horizons past the standard organic cotton balls and I went on amazon to buy some Rayon. I know a lot of people had bought 40ft or 3lb boxes and remarked on what an absurd amount of wick these were, so I saw a pack of Cellucotton that was only 10ft and I ordered it. Upon receiving it I noticed on the bag that it said 100% cotton, I thought this was a little weird, so I did a little looking around and discovered that indeed cellucotton made both rayon and cotton coils and that I had ordered a cotton coil. To rectify this I then looked around and actually ordered their Rayon coil. However, in the meantime I decided to try out wicking with the cotton coil I had.

Wicking with a cellucotton cotton coil is much easier than with regular cotton balls, all the fibers are running parallel and there is no figuring out how to unwrap a cotton ball, you just pull a little strip off the coil and you are ready to go- and it is much easier to get a wick of even width and there is no dealing with bulges that make it uneven or difficult to get the wick fed through the coil. I got my kayfun wicked up and tried vaping it. I was immediately impressed, then again I always am when I first rewick compared a days old past its prime wick. I don't know if everyone agrees on this, but I always seem to get a bit of taste from cotton when I first wick with it that goes away after a little while- this was the same with the cellucotton cotton, a bit of an off taste for the first few vapes, but it seems to go away quicker than with regular cotton ball cotton- it takes just a few vapes and its completely gone, or I have discovered that it can be completely avoided by juicing up the cotton and firing the coils just a tiny bit more than normal before actually vaping.

As far as the taste of the juice, I was pleasantly surprised, I figured since I really just got cotton in another form it wouldn't be very different at all to what I was used to, but something about gave it a cleaner and stronger taste, and dare I say the nicotine feeling was stronger compared to cotton ball wicks as well. I have to say the wicking speed was more than adequate as well- I only vape up to 15w on my kayfun, but I often use 100% VG juice and not that I get many dry hits with whatever wicking I use, but I haven't had any with cellucotton cotton yet.

So I enjoyed my cotton coil wicks for a few days while I waited anxiously for the real rayon to arrive, and when it finally did I opened up the kayfun wicked with cellucotton cotton and switch it to rayon, observing advice to wick it a bit more densely, and when I got to vaping it, I was pretty well disappointed, I didn't really get any off taste at the beginning, but the flavor was just not as clean or strong as I had been having. Confused I took my kayfun apart, got my russian out and built matching coils for both and wick one with cellucotton cotton and the other with their rayon and filled them both up with the same juice and started vaping them side by side, and I had to decide that I thought the cotton was significantly better than the rayon, I still didn't get dry hits on either, vapor production seemed pretty similar on both, but the flavor on the cotton was just way better. I did go on to try to use rayon in some of my drippers but I was just really unimpressed with it again. I have since gone to always rewicking with the cotton coil and haven't been using the rayon at all.

This is not to say that rayon is not good wick, I think it is better than organic cotton balls, but cellucotton cotton coil is just another step above it. I have to think this has something to do with the fibers all running in parallel with little to no crossing or waviness, I was always very inefficient with my cotton balls because I would only use the bits that looked to be parallel, but it still wasn't near the same performance as the cotton coil, and these parallel fibers are something the coil has in common with the Japanese organic cotton many people are impressed with(I haven't had the opportunity to try Japanese cotton yet)

I have to say I was very surprised at the results I got from my mistake, I felt very stupid when I realized I ordered cotton instead of rayon, but it turns out to have been a fortunate error. I think the flavor is much better that what I had been getting from cotton balls, and better than rayon too, and the nicotine in juice seems to be stronger as well, I pretty much immediately went from using 12mg with some 18mg mixed in to using just 12mg or even mixing 12mg with 6mg(I have since completely switched over to just 6mg) I haven't heard anyone talking about cellucotton's cotton coil, only their rayon, I would be interested to hear if anyone else has messed up like me and gotten their cotton or just tried it out purposely. I would definitely recommend at least trying it out if you have a few bucks and want to try out something new, and for those concerned about the chemicals rayon is created with(I wasn't ever worried about this) you get to avoid those as well

/Here is a link to the cotton coil I bought Amazon.com : Graham CelluCotton Coil 10 Ft. : Hair Styling Products : Beauty

AlB53

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2012
Rome NY
this is what I got... cellocotton 001.jpg

Hoopie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
First, Cellucotton doesn't mean it's made of rayon.

"In 1914 this (then) conservative supplier of paper developed an absorbent wadding from processed wood and dubbed it Cellucotton. Five times as absorbent as cotton and costing only half as much, Cellucotton was used to bandage wounds in World War I. (Kimberly-Clark agreed to provide it to the War Department at cost, refusing the chance to make a healthy
profit.) "
Read more at snopes.com: Kotex Origin

When I shopped for my rayon, I noticed that there were two lines, one with 100% rayon and one with 100% pure cotton.

Second, I found your observation extremely interesting. I've seen the video showing wicking of Japanese cotton, rayon and organic cotton. No doubts that Japanese cotton and rayon wick better. But why? I was thinking that it is because rayon and Japanese cotton are processed into a sheet or coil. The fibers are for the most part parallel so there is better capillary action.

As far as taste, that is purely subjective. Personally, I don't find that rayon has a superior or inferior flavor over cotton.

CRW78

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2013
San Antonio, TX, USA
Got this at sally for 2.79.. 40 ft coil.

very absorbent, seems to wick very well, and for wads I would initially think I need to shear some away to fit, nope. Got my first build with some as wick right now. Coils on their initial saturation, about .5 ml total, 3 hits taken after a test fire of 2 seconds. . So far still vaping strong.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
You guys are talking about the same dam thing... Cellucotton is Rayon.

And if you focus that picture a little bit, you will see: 100% Rayon Fibers.

ZxqEYIV.jpg

no actually I have seen the very same box and the only difference was instead of saying 100 percent rayon, it said 100 percent cotton. so cellucotton isn't necessarily rayon

sunnata

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
voidness
no actually I have seen the very same box and the only difference was instead of saying 100 percent rayon, it said 100 percent cotton. so cellucotton isn't necessarily rayon

I actually own said box. Made a mistake while ordering, thinking all celucotton = rayon. I have vaped it (the 100% cotton) and it tasted as clean as my organic cotton balls, but I haven't tried 100% rayon so can't compare them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread