Cellucotton (Rayon) VS. Japanese Cotton (Koh-Gen-Doh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyCory564

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
I decided to try using Cellucotton instead of my usual Koh-Gen-Doh pads, mainly because I want my pads to not run out as fast.

So I tried wicking my kayfun 3.1 with cellucotton, and boy was I off. I'm so used to the japanese cotton that it was very hard to figure out the right amount so that there would be enough to wick the juice whilst not blocking the channels.

It seems that I have to use a lot less cellucotton than I would normally use for wicking. My first two attempts I had it so that the part inside the coil coild slide a little bit back and forth, but only for a few mm; as it got closer to the sides, it would get tight and caught a little. When trying to vape this, i had to give a hard primer pull after each decent drag or two to get the juice to the coil.

Second attempt I used too little, so it didn't wick as it should have.

Third try, it slid back and forth through the coil with ease for the length of the cellucotton, but just about filled the coil when fluffed out. I Cut it about 1-1.5mm above the top of the bottom chimney section, and gently pushed it down the sides as usual.

Now it is wicking beautifully. I still prefer my japanese cotton, but that is for reasons that are particular to the way I vape. Mainly this is because I use heavier VG juices, and instead of being very absorbant as japanese cotton is, it acts more like a traditional wick by transferring it from point a to point b.

But I will say I am kind of impressed, especially for the price of the cellucotton.

I've heard both great and horrible things regarding using rayon fibers for wicking. What are your thoughts and experiences with it?

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I love the rayon, but must admit I never tried the KGD (which was pretty hard to get when I got into the Rayon).
One important aspect is that while you want the coil to be full, you want everything outside the coil to be much thinner. It's very effective at transporting, so thin tails can feed a fat coil very effectively. If the tails are too thick it really doesn't transport as well (not really sure why, but I've found it to be true). Perhaps it adds a "directionality" to the wick?

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
There are two densities that need adjusting for proper use. The density in the coil and density in the tails. You absolutely need enough density in the coil to remain in contact after the initial 4ml.

Reducing the coil density because the tails are too big will lead to very poor results. And complaints.

You look at the tails and thing omg this is gigantic.. Well what you do is thin the tails down. I thin the tails in my dripper by 80%

1.4 ohm 28g at 6v

Last edited:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
I personally like to spread the fiber a bit then roll back into a wick.. You can see how huge the shoulders are... Actually that on is a little to dense in the coil. I forced a lot through.. Which produces the nutty/ woody rayon taste for a while.

If you haven't wicked to the point to taste that you haven't taken it dense enough. Once you get enough density to taste it you know you can go a little less... One easy way is to start pulling strands out till the taste goes away then you right on the money and the wick and coil will last a very very long time. My last one went 180ml on VG..

If you have a burnt taste or to be more specific a coil dry burning, you don't have enough and lost contact.

It is essential to check wick to coil contact at the ends of the coil after 3-4 ml or if you have any problem what so ever.

Sunburst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2014
Williamsport, PA
I personally like to spread the fiber a bit then roll back into a wick.. You can see how huge the shoulders are... Actually that on is a little to dense in the coil. I forced a lot through.. Which produces the nutty/ woody rayon taste for a while.

If you haven't wicked to the point to taste that you haven't taken it dense enough. Once you get enough density to taste it you know you can go a little less... One easy way is to start pulling strands out till the taste goes away then you right on the money and the wick and coil will last a very very long time. My last one went 180ml on VG..

If you have a burnt taste or to be more specific a coil dry burning, you don't have enough and lost contact.

It is essential to check wick to coil contact at the ends of the coil after 3-4 ml or if you have any problem what so ever.

That answers the rest of the questions, lol. Are you related to Carnack? Thanks. Thank goodness I haven't started yet. I'll have to re-watch your videos too. I have been thinning out the tails quite a bit. That has helped. But I haven't gotten the nutty taste yet and the most dense wick I've made was a pain to get through the coil. I guess I need to twist tighter on the feed side. I've been afraid of breaking the strands so far. Is that a valid concern or doesn't it matter?

Cheers, bud.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
No breaking actually if you grab it close enough its impossible to break. Grabbing it close and pulling both sides will sinch it up and enable you to pull it through easier.. There's a certain finesse in getting enough through.. You'll hear the coil start to speak then pull that all the way through by stretching with a close grip. A far grip will reduce the density if you have too much to pull in with a close pull.

This is a good density after break in for over 100ml potential

You want a shoulder left after the wick settles in. The wick pictured above was fresh and the puffy shoulders have settled in considerably after a day.

Last edited:

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
Sounds like the Three Little Bears story of vaping.
girl_haha.gif

I like the rayon and will try to use what I have but I actually give a slight edge to the Koh Gen Do because it is much easier to wick for me. Both have exceptional saturation. A friend told me about this and said it was just as good as KGD. Just thought I'd pass it along to you.

Amazon.com: Cotton Labo ORGANIC Cotton Puff Size M (200pc): Health & Personal Care
JC_link.gif

Next coil build I have readyxwick to try and I am so excited.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Sounds like the Three Little Bears story of vaping.
girl_haha.gif

I like the rayon and will try to use what I have but I actually give a slight edge to the Koh Gen Do because it is much easier to wick for me. Both have exceptional saturation. A friend told me about this and said it was just as good as KGD. Just thought I'd pass it along to you.

Amazon.com: Cotton Labo ORGANIC Cotton Puff Size M (200pc): Health & Personal Care
JC_link.gif

Next coil build I have readyxwick to try and I am so excited.

I've wondered about this one I know that it's probably safe, but just can't bring myself to wick with rayon. It just sounds awful. lol I know that's silly, but it is what it is hehehe

CloudKick

Verified Member
Oct 30, 2014
San Clemente, CA
I decided to try using Cellucotton instead of my usual Koh-Gen-Doh pads, mainly because I want my pads to not run out as fast.

So I tried wicking my Kayfun 3.1 with cellucotton, and boy was I off. I'm so used to the japanese cotton that it was very hard to figure out the right amount so that there would be enough to wick the juice whilst not blocking the channels.

It seems that I have to use a lot less cellucotton than I would normally use for wicking. My first two attempts I had it so that the part inside the coil coild slide a little bit back and forth, but only for a few mm; as it got closer to the sides, it would get tight and caught a little. When trying to vape this, i had to give a hard primer pull after each decent drag or two to get the juice to the coil.

Second attempt I used too little, so it didn't wick as it should have.

Third try, it slid back and forth through the coil with ease for the length of the cellucotton, but just about filled the coil when fluffed out. I Cut it about 1-1.5mm above the top of the bottom chimney section, and gently pushed it down the sides as usual.

Now it is wicking beautifully. I still prefer my japanese cotton, but that is for reasons that are particular to the way I vape. Mainly this is because I use heavier VG juices, and instead of being very absorbant as japanese cotton is, it acts more like a traditional wick by transferring it from point a to point b.

But I will say I am kind of impressed, especially for the price of the cellucotton.

I've heard both great and horrible things regarding using rayon fibers for wicking. What are your thoughts and experiences with it?
As said previously, you should be using much more rayon than KGD

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
I've wondered about this one I know that it's probably safe, but just can't bring myself to wick with rayon. It just sounds awful. lol I know that's silly, but it is what it is hehehe

Rayon is a fiber that is made from wood pulp I think. Gonna be googling again soon. But after smoking for as long as I did and not worrying about all those chemicals. . . I ain't worried to much. I do really like it. The big advantage as far as I can tell, is that all the fibers run in the same direction and a piece of it is easy to wick. Still not as easy for me as KGD. Can't wait to try the readyxwick. I have read so many say it enhances the flavor or the juice and lasts a really long time. The video on their site blows my mind. Which it doesn't take much to do that.
girl_wacko.gif

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Rayon is a fiber that is made from wood pulp I think. Gonna be googling again soon. But after smoking for as long as I did and not worrying about all those chemicals. . . I ain't worried to much. I do really like it. The big advantage as far as I can tell, is that all the fibers run in the same direction and a piece of it is easy to wick. Still not as easy for me as KGD. Can't wait to try the readyxwick. I have read so many say it enhances the flavor or the juice and lasts a really long time. The video on their site blows my mind. Which it doesn't take much to do that.
girl_wacko.gif

Rayon is pure cellulose made by man and the final extrusion is washed clean. Cotton is cellulose made by the plant and may contain whatever made it up the plant from the roots.

these are both good to know. I know it's silly, just have it stuck in my head that I had clothes made of rayon. Never had really checked into what it is. I saw busardo's vid of various wicking materials. They both seemed to wick really well kgd and rayon, but if I recall correctly the rayon took a bit longer. It's certainly cheaper. Now off to investigate this readyxwick stuff.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Probably because your using it like cotton. Your getting dry hits because your wick is too loose and not getting good contact on the coil.. The horrible taste is your juice dry burning on the coil not the rayon.

You should be using close to 2 times the thickness and density of cotton. It will be tight tighter than you can imagine, until it all the sudden it works... If you happen to go too tight you will taste the nutty/woody taste of rayon.. It also will not burn so don't worry about that. It will still vape well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread