Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNobody

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2015
nothing complicated, try this:
8SzpX4R.jpg
What gauge is that, 22 or 20? Also on another note I like my vape to be hot and thick which is why I love the stumpy so much. I had a dual 20g build in there, 6 wraps coming in a .10 ohm and the vapor was so thick I could almost chew it. Granted at 200w there was little to no flavor but if I could get vapor that thick, hot and have it full of flavor I would be a happy camper. I got a 454v2 on the way an I plan to run quad twisted 26g and see how that vapes.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
What gauge is that, 22 or 20? Also on another note I like my vape to be hot and thick which is why I love the stumpy so much. I had a dual 20g build in there, 6 wraps coming in a .10 ohm and the vapor was so thick I could almost chew it. Granted at 200w there was little to no flavor but if I could get vapor that thick, hot and have it full of flavor I would be a happy camper. I got a 454v2 on the way an I plan to run quad twisted 26g and see how that vapes.
Thats 22 gauge kanthal wrapped around 2mm screwdriver. Sometimes I do the same thing with 22g nichrome 80, only with 8 wraps instead of 6. I run it on a dual 18650 mech. I think the vape is pretty flavorful. The best part of the Velocity, IMO, is how easy it is and that the top cap locks into place. I usually have the cyclops air slots all the way or close to all the way open and the indirect airflow just barely open. I think the flavor is on par with many other good RDAs. I don't get any juice popping in my mouth and the wide-bore cap is perfect just to squirt juice down. It is a well thought-out design.

MrNobody

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2015
Thats 22 gauge kanthal wrapped around 2mm screwdriver. Sometimes I do the same thing with 22g nichrome 80, only with 8 wraps instead of 6. I run it on a dual 18650 mech. I think the vape is pretty flavorful. The best part of the Velocity, IMO, is how easy it is and that the top cap locks into place. I usually have the cyclops air slots all the way or close to all the way open and the indirect airflow just barely open. I think the flavor is on par with many other good RDAs. I don't get any juice popping in my mouth and the wide-bore cap is perfect just to squirt juice down. It is a well thought-out design.
I'll have to give that a try. I've tried many builds in the velocity (twisted, claptons, fused clatpons, twisted claptons) at different wattages and the vape has never been satisfying. I have been very impressed with the stro mini and the stro mini v2 (same deck as the velocity but smaller chamber) though on the v2 I'm half debating sealing off the bottom airflow holes with super glue.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
If you suck like you are sipping through a straw then you will want a longer draw, lower heatflux and wicking able to keep on feeding the coil throughout the long draw.

This is my preferencem and I find that I do take long hits, 5-6 seconds usually, though I notice in the morning, I take much shorter ones, since it takes a little while for my whole breathing situation to be fully online.

To me, having the airflow directly under the coil seems to be necessary for really great flavor; my preference are: Achilles RDA -- very tight draw, directly beneath coil -- it's not a tiny chamber, but it's not huge either, and with the airflow right under the coil plus having such a tight draw makes the flavor very saturated; a Magma; slightly looser airflow even at the single-smallest hole setting; it's kind of a hybrid between botton and side flow -- the airhole is under the coil, but the adjustable airflow is on the side; and of course the Kayfun Lite Plus. Both the Kayfun and the magma have the "dome" thing going on, the Magma inside the top cap and the Kayfun inside the chimney-top (Tobecos have the dome shape in there, but I've noticed that EHpro ones don't, and don't have as good flavor either).

I have a Derringer and a Veritas also; the Veritas isn't bad, but I wouldn't call it a flavor machine. I keep it because I like the way it looks, and I'm hoping it'll grow on me. :D The Derringer, I can't make tight enough to suit my tootle puffin ways. I think it's the side airflow I object to, because I also don't like my Caterpillar; much too airy to suit me.

Andria

bluehaze013

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Florida

Yea, everyone I know that has a velocity raves about it. I never bought one because I wasn't really into the looks of it but i'm sure if they can't get good flavor out of it then they're doing something wrong, like 99% of the reviews are all positive. The indirect airflow is interesting as it kinda supports the theory of "vaporless air" (credit Mad Scientist) helping prevent the condensation of the eliquid on the inside and top of the atomizer, On that one "vaporless air" comes in over top of the coils and helps funnel the vapor into the drip tip helping to keep it off the walls of the atomizer cap.

MrNobody

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2015
Yea, everyone I know that has a velocity raves about it. I never bought one because I wasn't really into the looks of it but i'm sure if they can't get good flavor out of it then they're doing something wrong, like 99% of the reviews are all positive. The indirect airflow is interesting as it kinda supports the theory of "vaporless air" (credit Mad Scientist) helping prevent the condensation of the eliquid on the inside and top of the atomizer, On that one "vaporless air" comes in over top of the coils and helps funnel the vapor into the drip tip helping to keep it off the walls of the atomizer cap.
I feel like the people raving about it have never tried a true flavor atty, derringer/stumpy/bambino etc and just rave about it because it's so easy to build and "muh clouds". Give any one of them a stumpy then see how they feel about the velocity.

Reactions: Tagi

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I feel like the people raving about it have never tried a true flavor atty, derringer/stumpy/bambino etc and just rave about it because it's so easy to build and "muh clouds". Give any one of them a stumpy then see how they feel about the velocity.
I've got a samurai bonzai, a tugboat slam cap, a hastur, and a few other smaller chamber RDAs. I think that the Velocity is comparable... and it certainly is much easier to build and adjust airflow. My smaller RDAs will spit up juice if I overdrip slightly too much. The Velocity is a smooth hit every time. I am not saying that these other RDAs are bad (in fact they are all very good) or that the Velocity is the best RDA ever, there are certainly many that match or beat it in the flavor category, but its not a massive difference. They are all good RDAs, the Velocity works well, doesn't leak, doesn't spit up juice, has huge airflow options, a large wide-bore drip tip, a top cap that locks in place perfectly aligned with the coils, and can be easily dripped without taking anything apart. This is what makes it a good vape.

jhhollier

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2014
Dave - I'm going to have to try your build in my Velocity. I've enjoyed the vape but it hasn't matched the output of my Tugboat with SC but I think that's because I haven't "pushed" the Velocity enough with my builds. I completely agree with you that it's just extremely easy to use, from the two post/four holes to adjustment of airflow. Haven't had mine leak, either.

Reactions: DaveSignal

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Dave - I'm going to have to try your build in my Velocity. I've enjoyed the vape but it hasn't matched the output of my Tugboat with SC but I think that's because I haven't "pushed" the Velocity enough with my builds. I completely agree with you that it's just extremely easy to use, from the two post/four holes to adjustment of airflow. Haven't had mine leak, either.
If you have 22g kanthal, you should definitely try it. It would work with 22g nichrome too, except with 8 wraps per coil. If I was going to build it with 24g, I would probably do four coils, which would end up at a bit lower resistance, but I imagine that would work well too. But, as for standard microcoils, any wire higher gauge than that is not going to be enough to make the best use of the RDA as it was designed.

Reactions: jhhollier

jhhollier

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2014
If you have 22g kanthal, you should definitely try it. It would work with 22g nichrome too, except with 8 wraps per coil. If I was going to build it with 24g, I would probably do four coils, which would end up at a bit lower resistance, but I imagine that would work well too. But, as for standard microcoils, any wire higher gauge than that is not going to be enough to make the best use of the RDA as it was designed.
24 is the lowest I have at the moment. I'll have to order some 22. Never attempted quad coils but I might give it a go later tonight, I need to rebuild the Velocity anyway.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
24 is the lowest I have at the moment. I'll have to order some 22. Never attempted quad coils but I might give it a go later tonight, I need to rebuild the Velocity anyway.
Well with four 24g coils around 2mm, you should try maybe 5 wraps each so that they all heat up fast. It is going to be a low resistance, but you know what you are doing. Just be careful with your builds/gear. Some people here think a build like this is crazy to recommend, but I have coil setups like this in my Dark Horse, my Kennedy Comp, and my Samurai RDAs. It works well. I am not sure how I would wick it in the Velocity, though. I would probably try using one strip of cotton for each side that bends through both of the coils that are there.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA

Do you have any 26? Two strands of 26 twisted is (for all practical purposes) same kcmil as 23.

Two strands of 24 twisted is (for all practical purposes) same kcmil as 21.

A strand of 24 twisted with a strand of 26 is very close to same kcmil as 22.

None are 22 single strand of course but possibly "close enough" that you can try a few builds until the 22 arrives.

Reactions: DaveSignal

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
@Mad Scientist makes a good point. Or you could do it with 24 gauge parallel strands. That would be able to more perfectly align with the direct airflow.
This is a parallel 24g build that I use in my Mephisto v2:
BcpMfQJ.jpg

6-wraps per coil, parallel 24g wires. This is huge flavor and would work great on the Velocity too.

Reactions: Mad Scientist

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN

I've got both the Stumpy and Velocity and like them both. I consider them both flavor attys depending on the build and setup. With the airflow shut way down and a regular drip tip I can get the same flavorful vape out of it that can with the stumpy at about the same wattage. The same can be done with the airflow opened up more but it'll need much more power and a bigger build to get there.

There are lots of experienced vapors that like the Velocity and I'm pretty sure they've also uses other "flavor attys". It's all about the build and the airflow configuration which can take some trial and error since it has more options.

TorontoOntario

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2014
Canada
Ganna comment not on the original idea but Mr Nobody and Daves discusion.
Nope, I am with Mr Nobody...the Velocity IS NOT a flavor attie. Dont care how much crap I catch for saying this. I put EVERY build in it, standard micro, macro, twisted, clapton, fused clapton, quad, dual and single. Its not a good vape. People rave about it for a few reasons IMO. First, the creators...if you dont know, you dont know. Secondly, clouds bro finally its simple as all heck to build. Your kidding yourself if you think a Velocity set up ANYWAY is as good as a REAL flavor attie. REAL flavor atties DONT have larger then 3mm air inlets and thats pushing it, they dont have massive chambers, huge drip tops and flavor atties are not designed like the Velocity. A Stumpy is a FLAVOR attie, The ORIGEN RDA, Hobo 3.1 and the Marquis are a few more examples. Im sorry, I have owned both and atties set up like the Stumpy, Hobo, Origen etc all will give better flavor then atties like Velocity if you just put a regular old build in them both. I have owned just about any RDA you can name and the three best for flavor are:Origen 3, The Marquis and The Stumpy.

TorontoOntario

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2014
Canada
I also like a warm, dense lung hit. It can easily be obtained with a simple 22/24g build. I have dual 24g N80 verts in the Origen on my Nikita box and its crazy dense, warm and cloudy. The draw is also very loose, no form of restriction. I also have dual 24g N80 coils in The Stumpy on my Dimitri and I get a similar vape as the Origen. Intense flavor, warmth, density and production. If I had a Velocity set up the same way it doesnt matter what tip or how the airflow is set up the flavor wont come close

MrNobody

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2015
Nope, I am with Mr Nobody...the Velocity IS NOT a flavor attie. Dont care how much crap I catch for saying this. I put EVERY build in it, standard micro, macro, twisted, clapton, fused clapton, quad, dual and single. Its not a good vape. People rave about it for a few reasons IMO. First, the creators...if you dont know, you dont know. Secondly, clouds bro finally its simple as all heck to build. Your kidding yourself if you think a Velocity set up ANYWAY is as good as a REAL flavor attie. REAL flavor atties DONT have larger then 3mm air inlets and thats pushing it, they dont have massive chambers, huge drip tops and flavor atties are not designed like the Velocity. A Stumpy is a FLAVOR attie, The ORIGEN RDA, Hobo 3.1 and the Marquis are a few more examples. Im sorry, I have owned both and atties set up like the Stumpy, Hobo, Origen etc all will give better flavor then atties like Velocity if you just put a regular old build in them both. I have owned just about any RDA you can name and the three best for flavor are:Origen 3, The Marquis and The Stumpy.
I feel the same way, tried that 22g build in there and while the flavor is good it's nothing compared to the stumpy or the stro mini v2. I can't seem to get a tight draw either. With the attys I mentioned you can close off the airflow, crank up the wattage to 80+ and get a nice tight draw that give a dense, hot flavorful cloud.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA

I also like a warm, dense lung hit. It can easily be obtained with a simple 22/24g build. I have dual 24g N80 verts in the Origen on my Nikita box and its crazy dense, warm and cloudy. The draw is also very loose, no form of restriction. I also have dual 24g N80 coils in The Stumpy on my Dimitri and I get a similar vape as the Origen. Intense flavor, warmth, density and production. If I had a Velocity set up the same way it doesnt matter what tip or how the airflow is set up the flavor wont come close

I feel the same way, tried that 22g build in there and while the flavor is good it's nothing compared to the stumpy or the stro mini v2. I can't seem to get a tight draw either. With the attys I mentioned you can close off the airflow, crank up the wattage to 80+ and get a nice tight draw that give a dense, hot flavorful cloud.

I guess you're all in the right place then lol. There are certain characteristics that help to enhance flavor and certain characteristics that make it hard to get good flavor. What we really want to focus on is an objective understanding with a basis in fact instead of folklore of what is needed to produce best flavor. It might be useful to "deconstruct" the characteristics of the velocity you are mentioning. What characteristics of the velocity make it such that it's hard to get good flavor from it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread