Charger not working, no battery flash/red LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellanceo

May 11, 2009
Las Cruces, NM
I just started with an 801 kit from Eastmall, and I have been loving it these last 3 days.

My problem now is that my charger decided to quit on me suddenly.

Before the battery flashed as confirmation it was starting to charge, and the charger LED would turn red. Now it does neither of those, and that was after I was switching batteries to charge. It then flashed red-green quickly before going back to solid green. :confused:

I have read other threads on here saying that the LEDs in fact do not matter, and batteries charge just fine.

This is really recent, so I haven't tried charging the batteries, as I am afraid of a fire risk of some sort if it is in fact faulty.

Any ideas/comments are greatly appreciated and welcomed. I love how helpful these forums have been, and how well the information is provided for newbies, it's helped me out a lot so far. :)

Throw some solutions at me!

framitz

Moved On
May 24, 2009
RSM, CA
I just started with an 801 kit from Eastmall, and I have been loving it these last 3 days.

My problem now is that my charger decided to quit on me suddenly.

Before the battery flashed as confirmation it was starting to charge, and the charger LED would turn red. Now it does neither of those, and that was after I was switching batteries to charge. It then flashed red-green quickly before going back to solid green. :confused:

I have read other threads on here saying that the LEDs in fact do not matter, and batteries charge just fine.

This is really recent, so I haven't tried charging the batteries, as I am afraid of a fire risk of some sort if it is in fact faulty.

Any ideas/comments are greatly appreciated and welcomed. I love how helpful these forums have been, and how well the information is provided for newbies, it's helped me out a lot so far. :)

Throw some solutions at me!
I've had a charger/battery act like this. I unplugged the charger, removed the battery then plugged it all back in and it worked OK.

Make sure the contacts are CLEAN by cleaning with a q-tip, a tiny piece of debris can stop it from connecting properly.

If this doesn't help then do try the other battery and see how it behaves so you can determine if it's the charger or the battery that's bad.

ellanceo

May 11, 2009
Las Cruces, NM
I already tried that with no luck. :(

Last night I noticed that the center pole that makes contact with the battery was a bit crooked, so I centered it out by pushing down on the spring. Fixed it for one battery to charge, but as soon as I went to put in the second, it went back to not charging.

I already received a very pleasant call from Ed at Eastmall, and he assured me new batteries/chargers will be in next week to take care of this, but in the meantime I just gotta wait it out.

Since I'm already on day three of quitting, it's going to be hard once both my batteries die. Is there any DIY way to make this work?

Thanks for replying!

ellanceo

May 11, 2009
Las Cruces, NM
Uh, no. That never, ever works. And when it does, it's pure luck.

I managed to get it open with a utility knife, the problem was that the black wire to the threaded ring came off. I re-soldered it on, and now it works fine.

Still doesn't do the flash confirmation when putting in a battery, but the light turns red now, so I assume it is charging.

Will update later once it turns green. I hope this helps anyone with a similar problem.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
Uh, no. That never, ever works. And when it does, it's pure luck.

I managed to get it open with a utility knife, the problem was that the black wire to the threaded ring came off. I re-soldered it on, and now it works fine.

Still doesn't do the flash confirmation when putting in a battery, but the light turns red now, so I assume it is charging.

Will update later once it turns green. I hope this helps anyone with a similar problem.

Not all of my batteries flash. Some will flash, and some will stay on until charge is complete.

I suggest, when the new chargers come in, you order a spare. I always carry 2 with me. 1 - 110v, and 1 - USB.

Bee

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Corona, Ca
I have noticed as my batteries are getting old that the light on the battery only flashes 3 times now instead of 5 for the mini or 10 for my pen style. Right before they die completely they did not flash at all when starting a charge. Shortly after no flash they died. Does anyone know for sure the flash sequence of the batteries as to their meaning?:rolleyes:

45097.png

ellanceo

May 11, 2009
Las Cruces, NM
All I know is that mine is flashing 20 times, which means they are fried.

They also smell like burnt plastic. I took a couple puffs before realizing that my taste buds were very chemical-y tasting.

So my first DIY job completely failed. I don't know what I could have done wrong, but I obviously found a way. I am now left with no charger, and one battery, that is now dead.

I am going to post in the mod forums, and beg for step-by-step instructions to make a USB passthrough. Also, with a manual switch as the auto switches were faulty when I got them.

This is really a lot of work just for something so simple. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread