Charging 18650 in an external charger with the adapter sleeve on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arvellon

Mar 6, 2018
Hi guys,

First of all, I'm not really sure if this is the right thread so don't kill me if it isn't.

I'm vaping on the Vandy vape Pulse 80W with the Profile rda which comes with a sleeve to extend an 18650 battery to fit in the 20700 battery socket.

The problem is however, that the sleeve is quite tight and not so easy to remove and put back on.

So I'm wondering: Can I just put the 18650 battery with the sleeve still on in my external battery charger?

Thanks in advance

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Personally, I’d be afraid of the battery getting too warm internally but I’m no expert. Hopefully someone with more battery - charger knowledge will come along soon.
Great minds think alike. :thumb:

I've never come across this situation before, but I would be concerned that the battery could become too warm with the sleeve on while charging. One of the positive benefits of using an external charger as opposed to charging via USB inside a mod is it allows you to monitor the battery temperature by touch. Charging batteries can temporarily increase internal and external temperature of batteries. In fact, charging batteries is one of the most common causes of battery fires.

E-Cigarette Explosions: Comprehensive List
There have been 50 major incidents this year (2016) alone and that's just the ones which make the news. They also go on to say...
"It is interesting to note that the nature of e-cigarette explosions has changed over the years. The FEMA document cited above suggests that approximately 80 percent of e-cigarette explosions happen during charging."
Removing the adaptor sleeve should allow any heat generated from charging to dissapate into the air, while leaving the sleeve on might prevent that from occuring. Never charge batteries while not at home or while sleeping. Charge batteries on a flame resistant surface.

This is also why we generally don't recommend the use of those flame-......ent LiPo bags while charging. Theory being that the bag can trap any heat generated by the charger.

Lipo-Guard2_wm.jpg

Last edited:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi guys,

First of all, I'm not really sure if this is the right thread so don't kill me if it isn't.

I'm vaping on the Vandy Vape Pulse 80W with the Profile RDA which comes with a sleeve to extend an 18650 battery to fit in the 20700 battery socket.

The problem is however, that the sleeve is quite tight and not so easy to remove and put back on.

So I'm wondering: Can I just put the 18650 battery with the sleeve still on in my external battery charger?

Thanks in advance
Hi,
Which charger do you have?
In your situation, I would set my charger (via switch or battery configuration) to use a .5amp recharge rate.
That should help to avoid excessive heat.

As always, do not charge cells unattended. (nod to post above @Baditude )

Do you have the budget for an actual 20700?

Cheers
I

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I would take the sleeves off personally. A better option would be get some 20700/21700 batteries. If those are the sleeves I'm thinking about they are rubber and only go about a third of the way up on the battery. I would say if you're going to charge the battery without taking the sleeve off you should monitor it closely. Don't just put the battery in the charger and leave.

jim_87

Resident Forum Lurker
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2018
USA
Hi guys,

I'm vaping on the Vandy Vape Pulse 80W with the Profile RDA which comes with a sleeve to extend an 18650 battery to fit in the 20700 battery socket.

Thanks in advance
Did this ever get resolved? I have the same sleeve, and it was never tight. How old are the 18650's? Are they swelling?

Reactions: Letitia

basilia

Moved On
May 24, 2019
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Spam
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread