Charging for the first time a aw imr 18650 battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellfire136

Mar 25, 2012
Hellas/Cyprus
Hello everyone
I've receive some ΑW IMR batteries today and i would like to charge them for the first time, in a xtar charger.
How long should the batteries have to stay after the light indicator turned green?
Is it like the cell phone ones and have to stay for 8 hours at least?
I would appreciate any help

P.S. Please forgive my poor English.

Randy C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
SW Florida
Hi Hellfire,

I just received 3 IMR AW 18650 2000mah batteries yesterday. They come with a fairly good charge, but need to be topped off. I only had them on the charger for about 25-30 minutes before my charger light turned green. I checked them as soon as they came off and indeed they were fully charged. As Briar stated, they should come out of the charger as soon as your light/s turn green

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
I dont know where this whole 8 hrs thing came from, but green means charged. I have the exact batts and charger as you described and like I said green is done. Problems can occur when batts overcharge, that is one way to have thermal failure. When you get green take them off. Also, do you have a meter? If not get yourself one and learn how to use it.

iowajosh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2012
iowa
I heard that with IMR batteries, they should not be drained all the way before charging. In that true?

With normal lithium, they shouldn't go below about 2.7. If they ever stay below that voltage, discard them. If they ever charge over 4.2, also discard them and get a different charger. Over or under charged are dangerous.

NickZac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2012
Baltimore, Maryland--US
So with my IMR 18650s I should drain them...

No, the IMRs are lithium batteries. Lithium, unlike some other common battery types, is very prone to both over-charging and over-discharging. Either will destroy the battery, and can even harm the device and user. It is worth the money to purchase a multimeter to verify voltages which will allow you to monitor battery health.

OP, I know what you are referring to given the iPhone says it is fully charged after the rapid charge stage when it is not fully charged...you have to leave it plugged in longer for the trickle charge to finish. The batteries in mods do not function this way, and lithium batteries lose very, very little energy from sitting. So upon the charger indicating they are charged, unplug/remove from charger and store in a cool, dry place until ready to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread