• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Charging times - Important

Status
Not open for further replies.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Switched, I think you misunderstood or I just don't know how to write what I think.

What I meant to say ... Initially I got 10 - 13 hours from one eGo batt before recharging. Now I get 8 hours before a recharge is needed.
And yes it takes my eGo batts 2 hour - 2.5 hours before the recharge cycle is complete.

In the aforementioned post I did indeed misunderstood the OP. However, I would like to draw your attention to the bolded text.

Although the following topic may seem unrelated, I believe it to be germane to the discussion and might actually prevent an otherwise avoidable accident.

Of late we have heard of batteries venting etc... often after performing forensics on the incident, the incident could of possibly been avoided, so I am to understand. Notwithstanding, electronic devices can fail prematurely.

Why is charging times important?

IMHO it provides the user with an inside view of the batteries health. Knowing how long it takes to charge your battery is extremely important. Most chargers come with instructions that typically state what the average charging time is. When charging your batteries from dead (when new) make a note of how long it takes, and seriously pay attention to batteries that exceed average charging times. The latter is extremely important for Li - Ion batteries, protected or not, as the protection device may also be defective.

Protected Li - Ion batteries will state their low voltage cut offs etc... prior to placing them on a charger, measure their residual voltage. Never attempt to charge a battery which voltage has decreased below the intended protection, which is an indication that the protection circuitry has failed. Special chargers are needed to raise them from the dead, and since the chargers are expensive, it is cheaper to buy new batteries.

I posted this because a natural progression (for some) after the eGo, is HV devices, where this information is not only paramount for user safety, but critical, especially when abtteries are used in series (stacked).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread