Charlie's review of the Aegis Solo and Cerberus Tank by Geekvape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Hi guys, I hope that everyone os doing ok? As always a big thank you to Carrie @Geekvape_Official for sending this on for review. I have tested the device thoroughly as usual and I will talk about the mod and the tank as a complete kit. As usual, the fact that I got this product free to review will in no way avec my honest judgement and appraisal of the product :)

Ok let's kick off with some pictures of the Aegis Solo and Cerebus tank by Geekvape...

20190617_104528-jpg.824207

20190617_104549-jpg.824209

20190617_104857-jpg.824211

The Geekvape Aegis Solo Kit contains...

1 x Aegis Solo mod.
1 x Cerberus Tank Atomizer with a pre-installed super mesh x2 coil o.3 ohm. Bubble glass 5.5 ml.
1 x Spare glass straight tube 4.0 ml.
1 x Super mesh x2 coil replacement 0.3 ohm.
1 x USB cable.
1 x User manual.
1 x Spare parts and o-rings pack.
1 x Promotion card and warranty card.

The Geekvape Aegis Solo follows the same form factor and finishing as the previous models which are known for their extreme ruggedness and ability to take some hard use. In fact they are often recommended to vapers who work in high risk jobs like on a building site for example. There are many reports of the mods holding up after being dropped from considerable heights :) And is designed to be shockproof, waterproof and dust proof to an extremely high level. Having said this it is still a nice looking and solid mod which will suit many different vapers with their many different styles.

The Aegis Solo requires one 18650 battery and can be turned on and off with 5 clicks of the fire button. The battery compartment cap is fitted with an o-ring to ensure that the battery will stay dry in the event the mod gets wet. It provides 100 watts of power maximum and 5 watts minimum. The 2x1 cm display automatically comes on in power (variable wattage) mode and includes the battery life, the mode, the current watts, coil resistance, amps, volts and the number of puffs. Wattage is easily changed by using the up and down buttons below the display. Incidentally the USB port is on the side of the mod and has a press fit rubber bung to keep it waterproof etc. If you click and hold the up/down buttons at the same time it will lock the wattage but you can still fire it. This is denoted by a little padlock which appears next to the battery level bar. Pressing the fire button and up or down button simultaneously will adjust the brightness of the screen, up or down.

3 clicks of the fire button in quick succession will take you into mode adjustment settings and the up and down button are used to scroll through the different modes. The modes are power, 3 temperature control presets (SS, Ti, and Ni) and VFC which allows you to adjust your coil heating curve how you like it and there are 5 different presets that can be adjusted as you wish. The Aegis solo also has Bypass and TCR mode. But exactly what is TCR mode? Well, TCR stands for Temperature Coefficient of Resistance. It relates to the resistance and corresponding heat of a particular type of alloy used in a coil. This is a very useful feature as it allows you to use metal alloys which do not already appear on the device. For example if you used an SS 304 coil instead of the more normal SS 316 alloy.

You can scroll through the different power settings on the device by hitting the fire button once and then the up and down buttons while in adjustment mode. Hitting the fire button once again dials in the new setting.

20190617_105139-jpg.824217

20190617_105544-jpg.824221

20190617_105240-jpg.824219

The Cerberus tank has a top fill fill system. Turning the drip tip top piece a quarter turn allows you to pull this top off and fill using the choice of 2 kidney shaped holes. It has and airflow control at the base and the draw can be dialled in as you like it. I will say here that this tank is aimed at making clouds via a direct lung experience and with the AFC fully open it is an extremely (almost too loose) direct lung draw. Of course those of you who like this style of vaping will love this tank. The flavour with the super mesh coils is very good and in the time that I have been using it I have seen no difference in both the flavour or the responsiveness of the coil. To change the coil is easy. Merely inverting the tank and unscrewing the base will give access to the coil even when the tank still has juice in it although I wouldn't recommend doing it just after filling.....and frankly why would you :)

Right were going to have a few more pictures of the tank and Agis Solo and then I will give you my thoughts and conclusion for this nicely done device.

20190617_105822-jpg.824235

20190617_105804-jpg.824233

Conclusions and thoughts.

Well what do I think about the Aegis Solo by Geekvape?

This is a very well built mod and if you like the bigger original 26650 mod then you will love this one if you found that one a bit on the big side :) If the Aegis Solo is anywhere near as resistant to shocks and water as the other mod then Geekvape will be onto a winner here. I think that this one will suit the lady vaper who works in a hostile environment just as much as the usual male market.

The Aegis Solo comes in a number of colours which are shown in the picture below and as you can see will suit a wide ranging difference in tastes.

aegis-solo-coloursjpg-jpg.824241

The menu is very easy to navigate and the mod is very responsive on the fire button. And anyway if you use the VFC mode you can tailor the firing experience to better suit the way you vape with a higher temperature pre-heat etc.

The temperature control did get tested by me and seems to work fine but I didn't put it completely through its paces. The big plus though here is the presence of the TCR mode which not only allows you to use different alloys but also to adjust the settings to your liking...a big plus in my opinion.

The Aegis Solo Kit will suit the direct lung vaper who likes to throw out a few clouds. The mod combined with the Cerebus tank really excels in both flavour and cloud production. I was actually quite impressed with the tank. I have experienced no leaking or reduction in flavour over the ten days I have been testing the device. If you are looking for a new tank have a look out for this one as it won't be a bad desicion :)

The Aegis Solo's size is another big plus as it is definitely pocket friendly and the fact that you can turn it off makes it nice and safe to do so. Obviously you need to pay attention to your coil builds to not go lower than your single 18650 can supply in amps. These days the best 18650's allow for 25-30 amps so this is quite sufficient for most of you and if you are using the Cerberus tank it won't be an issue anyway. The 510 is a flush fit with a spring loaded centre pin and the mod will support tanks/rda's up to 27 mm (and possibly a tiny bit more) without any over hang...another plus for many.

Should I buy one? Well yes if you want a mod that is pocket friendly and will withstand rough usage for an extended time. It will also suit the vaper who like TC but who hasn't got a huge budget. The price for the kit is around 41 euros and around 36 euros for the mod only.

Ok, as always another big thank you to Geekvape_Official and Carrie for supplying this product for review and to you my readers who, I hope, have found this review useful and it has helped inform your purchasing decisions. Thank you and until the next review have a great week :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread